Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

LinuxWindows
Journeyman III

AMD FirePro S7100X Vbios Replacement for Non-Server Use

Dear AMD Community,

I wish this post did not have to exist. AMD has been known for having an easier time with changing out the Vbioses of their cards. My problem is that I cannot change the Vbios of a FirePro S7100X. I cannot even figure out how to replace a piece of code in another Vbios with one from this card. Some people would have stopped when they could not find a standard Vbios for this card. I did not stop. At this point, I am looking for help with extracting the memory information from the FirePro S7100X and stuffing it into a FirePro W7170M's bios. I am not looking for someone to suggest a card replacement because I really do not want to open the metal sarcophagus that the card is plugged into. I am not looking for someone to just say, "Toss the W7170M's bios on there. It will work!" I have tried that. The memory does not work with this, which cripples the card's meager performance. I am also not looking for people who say, "Just leave it. It is fine!" The reason that this is not fine is that the use case is that the card hates (with a bitter passion) the shutdown of Windows 10, use cases with non-server Linux installs (like Ubuntu), the card cannot work on DC power (yes, it is in a laptop), and the card also hates going to sleep (it treats it as a shutdown). Thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely,

LinuxWindows

0 Likes
4 Replies
Psyssors
Journeyman III

Re: AMD FirePro S7100X Vbios Replacement for Non-Server Use

did you post a similar inquiry at linus tech tips? I sent a pm to that OP with a m390x bios that I have successfully flashed to my s7100x 

0 Likes
LinuxWindows
Journeyman III

Yes. I did post this on Linus Tech Tips. The card is currently not working with the system I am willing to lose.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Not sure if AMD Moderator of Professional GPU cards @fsadough  can help you with your issue or not. But I will tag him to see if it interests him or not.

0 Likes
fsadough

Please be more precise with what you are trying to do. You say:

1. My problem is that I cannot change the Vbios of a FirePro S7100X.
  2. At this point, I am looking for help with extracting the memory information from the FirePro S7100X and stuffing it into a FirePro W7170M's bios.

I am trying to understand what you want to do? 1 or 2 or both?

0 Likes