cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

StarGeneral
Adept II

AMD CSGO Loading Bug on current graphics hardware / drivers?

Hello Community,

a few months ago, i sold my GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and bought a 6900XT. One of my most played games is Counter Strike : Global Offensive. Since changing to the red team, i am experiencing a strange problem.

Problem description:

When loading any map in competitive matchmaking or on private hosted servers, the game gets stuck on the loading screen while "recieving server information". Normally, the process of loading a game in CSGO takes less than 20 seconds on a modern system and in some cases, the game indeed loads that fast.

But in most cases (approx. 80% of all tries), the game will get stuck for a long time at this stage. The game will freeze for about 10 seconds to several minutes (!). During this time, it is shown as "not responding" in the Task Manager. After that, the game will load and run absolutely normal.

I never had this error before changing to AMD and i tried various things to get rid of the problem:

- Reinstalled Windows
- checked game files for integrity via Steam
- reinstalled the game
- ran the game in Administrator mode
- tried all fixes i could find on the internet, including several startup parameters, config-changes, ...
- updated all drivers (including VGA) to the newest version available
- updated motherboard UEFI
- reported this problem various times by using the Driver-Bug-Reporting-Tool

Unfortunately, nothing helps.

System configuration:
- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
- Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro with newest UEFI-Revision 33h
- 64GB DDR4-3600 CL16
- Radeon 6900XT Reference with newest Adrenalin driver 
- Seasonic Focus PX-850 Platinum PSU
- Samsung 1TB 980 Pro SSD
- Windows 10 x64 20H2
- ASUS PG278QR WQHD-Display @144hz

First, i did think that this is some kind of strange system-related problem which cannot be solved, but then my girlfriend changed from a GTX 1060 to a Radeon 6700XT and is experiencing the exact same problem now. Her system is completely different to mine, but the problem is exactly the same.

Her system specs:
- Intel Core i5 11600K
- 16GB DDR4-3200 CL18
- Asrock B560 Pro4 Motherboard with newest UEFI
- Radeon 6700XT Reference with newest Adrenalin driver 
- EVGA 650W Gold PSU
- Samsung 980 Pro 512 GB SSD
- Windows 10 x64 20H2
- iiyama FullHD 60Hz Display

I would really appreciate any help, because this problem is really annoying and leads to missing the start of a game or even getting kicked / time-banned in competitive because i cannot join before the game starts. 

Thank you very much in advance for your time and your help.

239 Replies

As topic started much earlier than the news about CS 2, I think they just didn't take it as important and global problem... Like few guys with different hardware have problems with old game. Sad...

0 Likes
Decrux
Adept I

Hi@Matt_AMD , I am sorry it took me so long to make the videos. I was ill.

I made them by using a phone and uploaded them to youtube. Why? Because when I start using the AMD ReLive feature magically the problem goes away?! Please, somebody needs to confirm this behavior as well.

https://youtu.be/vlXmPtPDeIo - first start of the game and first load of the map is super fast.

https://youtu.be/VdExg7WnemM - round ends, we choose a map and here we go with the slow loading. Sometimes is even worse like 3-5 minutes. There are time in which when the game manages to load, the two teams are full already because it took me MASSIVE amount of time to jump in.

https://youtu.be/jzx9lGddSFs - I've played one game, then I left and tried to join a second time. It takes MASSIVE amount of time.

When I disable the directx9 and set the Model/Textures to LOW, all loading becomes super fast - no more than 4-5 seconds.

Please @Matt_AMD , there must be a solution to the problem. I am a fellow software engineer as well. I know things can be hard, but this problem goes on for so long... The community already found out a solution how to prevent this from happening and this must be enough for your colleagues to understand where is the problem.

!!! IMPORTANT Please I need somebody to confirm that when you are taking video with AMD ReLive the problem suddenly goes away.

Thank you for your patience and help in advance!

I can confirm this, I also wrote a reply to @Matt_AMD last friday about this finding and furthermore what @Ph1 figured that when you enable Instant Replay, the issues are gone (at least for me and him).

**bleep** is instant replay?

0 Likes

AMD describes it as a feature in Adrenaline software that continuously records your gameplay so that you can playback up to last 20 minutes of the session. You can find it in the settings under record & stream where you can enable it and adjust the length of the recording.

I was never interested in the feature but after finding out this workaround I've enabled it and haven't had any issues since. Obviously the question is how much impact it has on the performance, especially on lower-end systems.

0 Likes

Thanks much, was thought of smth. like this. But as a player who wants max. of performance and don't have much reserve for it I don't want any such features. Usually disabling everything like this and all the overlays in games...

It is called - "crutch" in my language usually according to bad code solutions...
Hope someday AMD will fix it)) Very weird that card needs from 20 to 40 secs to wake up on loading map...

0 Likes

Yes I see the same success when enabling relive. I figured it was strange no one had been able to make a screen recording after all these years of complaints and that the AMD devs are probably always trying to record too. Was surprised it worked though and am happy that you and @Kantsu have been able to replicate it. Hopefully they can now figure out a solution.

This is what I thought as well, if the devs were also recording while trying the replicate the issue, no wonder they weren't able to do it while it momentarily fixes the issue

Many thanks for the feedback, that will be helpful. I'll pass that along. For other users experiencing this issue, please try enabling instant replay and the issue may be solved with this temporary solution. 

Most people care about every fps they can get out of the game. Not sure that instant replay is good advice in such situation, not for me perosnally.

Better please us with information that such bug will be fixed in nearest updates.

0 Likes

How can I enable Relive? I'm on 23.3.2.

0 Likes

@erikssenlages open Adrenalin and go into the recording tab. Switch Instant Replay to On. That's it.

Thanks. I'll give it a try!

0 Likes

does relive affect your FPS???  whats the bare minumum settings do i use to get rid of this map bug

0 Likes

I can confirm that the issue disappears when enabling instant replay or recording on rx6600

0 Likes
mil213
Journeyman III

Wow, so the card "falls asleep" between maps unless it's stimulated by some alt-tabbing or screen recording or a multiple screen setup with other things going on the other screen? And it's been going on for 2 YEARS without solution despite multiple reports?

Here I was thinking it's my ISP fault for so long until it clicked that it might be the GPU... that's so disappointing. I hope Counter-Strike 2 is a big enough update from Valve to remedy this from their side, otherwise we're doomed. And that's still like 6 months away probably. To think that I didn't want to buy nvidia out of principle... stupid me!

cupram0d
Adept I

When I open relive, my problem was solved too. but I can't login as fast as this code "-disable_d3d9ex".Is there something like detailed setting for relive? at least until the update comes.

0 Likes
fjoe
Adept I

Hi folks, I use an Asrock Radeon 6600XT just a couple of months ago, but it's annoying that older games don't run normally, I always have to adjust the driver because of some driver setting or error.

I've played CSGO most of time so far (1080P), but it's ridiculous that this issue hasn't been fixed in the driver yet. And yes I use the last, actual driver 23.4.1.

However I found another workaround besides video recording starts in adrenalin: Someone have mentioned earlier, that enabling the VSR solved the issue. I tried the followings: 

1. Enable VSR in screen settings; 2. Run CSGO and changed the resolution up to 3840x2160

After that the loading of the second and other maps was just as fast as the first map. So the loadingtime reduced to the normal level.

I tried this with the latest drivers 23.4.1. Enabling VSR and running 1440p upscaled to 4k. This has allowed me to remove the launch command and set textures to max and be able to connect to maps before the round starts. As mentioned elsewhere the launch command is quicker and allows first choice of teams, this option means arriving a little later so sometimes team choice is reduced. The game despite its age looks stunning but does periodically lag like hell. SO this is still a workaround. The game did not randomly crash out as it did with the launch command fix. I may try fiddling a bit with resolutions etc. to see if the lag comes from this. Still @fjoe , nice alternative.

System = 5700 XP x 32 Gb x RX 6800 x 2Tb NVME on an X570 in case your interested

0 Likes

Thanks, but I forgot to mention my system specs and game settings, hope it will maybe help:

Ryzen R5 5600X; 15GB DDR4, Asus B550M TUF Gaming Plus, Asrock RX6600XT Challenger D

The following launch command I use: -novid -tickrate 128 +net_graph 1 +fps_max 0 -high +exec autoexec.cfg

And Freesync and SAM are enabled.

By the way, a similar problem does not only occur with this game. I play with Age of Empires II: Definitve Edition too. There, for example, on a larger map, the game lags roughly with many units. This has not been fixed so far either, only with other workarounds.
Or there's Football Manager 2023, which is a new game, but it keeps lagging and stuttering during matches. It could be fixed roughly with game profile and setting changes. But I also had to try many changes out.

Before that, I had a GTX1660 video card, but interestingly, I never had to set anything in any of the drivers to run these games normally and smoothly.

So, even though this card is more powerful than the previous one, even though it has freesync and SAM, I am quite disappointed with the drivers.

Maybe that's why my last AMD card was an HD4850

0 Likes
Decrux
Adept I

Can I ask you @Matt_AMD , why this bug is never acknowledged in the release notes of the 6000 series GPUs?

Lets say for example here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-4-1

Captain_Rick
Adept I

Yeah, one more update, no fixes.

slackydev
Adept I

So the fact that the dev team ignores this whole issue, not even acknowledging that there exists a problem, has gotten to me.. I am just gonna give up on this, I see no hope here, it's been 2 years, and not even as much as an acknowledgement to their customers suffering from this issue, and you really dont use 2 years to fix a bug, even if it's hard to reproduce. They are clearly not prioritizing it the least bit.

Next up is to not recommend AMD graphics... Specially since we are moving into the age of AI, where AMD graphics department has nothing on nvidia in popularized software, Cuda is de facto standard. Even AI software that utilizes my AMD GPU is more than an order of magnitude slower. So yeah, piece out.

Plateemoon
Journeyman III

So from 2021 to 2023 a simple loading bug like this cant be fixed? No wonder the market still goes to Nvidia Gpus. Even my pathetic GT 760 can load CSGO faster than my RX6600. Lmao

AMORZED
Adept I

Amd remains. I'm sitting on the rx6600, but I'm going to save money for the nvidia 4000, because the developers don't care about us anyway. And I know that if I buy an rx 7900 xtx, I won't be able to quickly load the map in the game cs go... XD Big Cringe, just show this topic to everyone who praises amd.

0 Likes
mrcuber
Journeyman III

I can confirm the issue is still on rx 6600 with the latest driver (23.4.1)

today I got my rx 6600 after years of playing on 3400g integrated graphics but guess what? it was worse for me because I only play CSGO and the map loading time takes more than 1:30 minutes while on my 3400g it was taking less than 25 seconds on the exact same settings!

I don't know If I should return it or wait for an update but it's been 2 years since this issue exists

cupram0d
Adept I

please solve this stupid problem

0 Likes

-fullscreen -novid -nojoy +fps_max 0 +cl_showfps 1 -freq 144 +r_dynamic 0 -disable_d3d9ex -no-browser +mat_queue_mode 2 +cl_forcepreload 1

And use Low textures in game settings = gg

0 Likes

yes gg. game crashes after 1 or 2 maps. suddenly in game or when switching to the map.

JUST SOLVE THIS STUPID PROBLEM

0 Likes
Mikko91
Adept III

no issues here...

3800x 4,5Ghz

B550 Strix E (3002 bios)

Chipset 5.02.19.2221

16Gb ddr4 Trident Z Neo 3600mhz (16-19-19-39)

RX 6600 XT Strix (23.4.1)

Samsung 1TB 980

Corsair RMX 850W

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm RGB

Phanteks P500A D-RGB White

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

0 Likes
podcastdog
Adept I

The user who suggested to enable Instant Replay in the Record & Stream tab in the settings of Adrenaline Software was right. It fixes the loading issue and most likely because it makes sure your GPU is always "awake" to be ready to record the replay. I turn off all the overlay and stuff so Instant Replay doesn't take away from performance and although I dont use the feature it fixes the issue and I have not felt any problems with performance on my 6650XT.

I submitted this finding to a bug report about 2 weeks ago and it seems like AMD still has not looked into it. AMD this problem has been 100% replicated and even worked around with theories of its source and you still do not even want to put it on Known Issues. I hope Intels next offerings in the GPU space are worthwhile because this will be the last AMD GPU I own until you finally get serious about your products. You had a long driver problem with Overwatch 1 back in the day on my RX 580 that took almost 12 months to resolve and now CSGO has a stupid problem like this. Linux doesn't have this problem so the Linux community has made sure drivers perform properly but for some reason you can't be bothered to put the same energy into Windows.

0 Likes
Mikko91
Adept III

peoples have to understand also that cs game engine is very outdated, its means there is limits.... New CS coming for summer and all of those problems are gone!

0 Likes
FatalFighter
Adept II

Insanely ridiculous take my friend. Why "other cards" are running the game just fine and only AMD cards are having this issue for more than two years now?
Maybe it is not people, but AMD has to understand that not caring about the game which has been the most played on steam for the last 3-4 years is not a good thing for them and I mean business wise. How do you think, how many of people affected by such problems that AMD cant fix are going to recommend someone buying their cards? Yea, exactly.
CS2 wont have such issue, due to Source 2 engine, you are right about that, but no wonder why 95% of CSGO/fps players use "other cards'.

0 Likes
Decrux
Adept I

I just want shed some light to all of you. @Matt_AMD contacted me 2 weeks ago in order to help the AMD team with diagnostics data gathered from my PC. I already sent them the data and I waiting for response.

And yes, I agree that just because CSGO is an older game and that CSGO2 is upcoming this year, is not an answer for NOT fixing the issue. Currently, on a daily basis we have 200k+ viewers in Twitch exactly for CSGO.

I asked Matt to keep me/us in the loop for what’s going.

Thanks for your help @Decrux

We're debugging the issue based on the information you've provided, I'll update the thread again when I have more information to share. 

Skrubu
Adept I

And again new drivers without any mentions of this bug. I'm convinced they aren't even trying to fix this, just playing time by occasionally replying here. Never buying AMD gpu again.

mobios23
Journeyman III

hello everyone! i find the solution. I turned on AMD replay in driver. And that's it... 
AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor + RX6600XT.
NVME, 32gb ram.
I used -disable_d3d9ex, but my cs:go just crush every time, so this not for me... but today i find so studip solution.... just turned on this function....
But choose HDD to save ur replays, not ssd! GL HF!

0 Likes
JohnWick313
Journeyman III

I'm trying to play PUBG but having a same issue of lag...

0 Likes
cupram0d
Adept I

fix this stupid problem pleaseeee

Decrux
Adept I

@Matt_AMD, any news?