cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Amd and Nvidia in same computer

I have a amd rx 590 I use for gaming and rendering I also have a Radeon Pro that has been utter garbage for rendering. I have an older Nvidia Tesla k10 8gb  Gddr 5 card that has no display ports its a GPU accelerator card. can I have my rx 590 and my quadro in the same computer at the same time.

1 Solution

Depends if the Nvidia Driver for your GPU card will not be in conflict with the AMD Driver for the AMD GPU Card.

You can try and see if you can install both at the same time. I would install the AMD Driver first and then see if Nvidia Driver will install and it won't be in conflict with the AMD Driver and GPU card.

Generally it is difficult to install both Graphics drivers for Nvidia and AMD in the same PC.

NOTE: CF - Crossfire is running two AMD GPU cards together and SLI -Scalable Link Interface is similar to Crossfire where you are running 2 or more Nvida GPU cards at the same time together.

Both don't apply in your case since you only have one Nvidia and one AMD GPU cards.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
EFermi
Miniboss

They will not work together as CF/SLI setup. But, if your BIOS has a function to disable PCI-E slots completely, you can put them in, and switch in between by restarting and on-offing PCI-E slots. 

whats a CF setup? the Nvidia Tesla doesn't have any display ports its a gpu accelerator link to image

I would send render job to it mostly for different 3d apps but not use it at all as a display, I just dont know if I put it in if it will over ride my amd gpu.

0 Likes

Depends if the Nvidia Driver for your GPU card will not be in conflict with the AMD Driver for the AMD GPU Card.

You can try and see if you can install both at the same time. I would install the AMD Driver first and then see if Nvidia Driver will install and it won't be in conflict with the AMD Driver and GPU card.

Generally it is difficult to install both Graphics drivers for Nvidia and AMD in the same PC.

NOTE: CF - Crossfire is running two AMD GPU cards together and SLI -Scalable Link Interface is similar to Crossfire where you are running 2 or more Nvida GPU cards at the same time together.

Both don't apply in your case since you only have one Nvidia and one AMD GPU cards.

Totally agree that the compatibility between the two driver packages will be the primary challenge. I've had GPUs from AMD and Nvidia in the same machine in the past but it took some extra work and research to find driver versions that played nicely with each other.

If you get it working, record which drivers you're using because there is still the possibility that a future update will come out that breaks your config.

3DClayman
Journeyman III

I have struggled with this for years. I support the BOINC project and the GPU Grid by using my computer to support scientific research. I have an AMD graphics card for my onscreen video and a NVidia Tesla card which has no video capability and is only used for number crunching.  The drivers are always in conflict and the real answer is that Microsoft needs to treat the Nvidia Tesla cards as a math accelerator card and not a video card. I have been able to get both to run although I always see something odd. If I find a combinatio0n of drivers that works I will see the caution signs in device manager, I find the Nvidia manager does not see the Nvidia card, GPU-z see's it but shows no Cuda capability, Boinc uses it but it has failures on large packages, OCCT does not see the Nvidia card and so on. It's time for AMD and NVidia to put pressure on this problem, Maybe NVidia can simply change the device type in the driver, Microsoft used to have a math coprocessor capability. Cards without video ports are not display adapters or graphics cards!!!

0 Likes

I know this is almost a year ago but I just wanted everyone to know that I just put an AMD HD 5700 in my windows 10 pc which I already had a nVidia Quadro k620. This is on my dell optiplex 3020 that I moved to a bigger case and installed a 700 watt psu on. I was given no problems and the drivers seem to be working together fine so far, of course I haven't tested them in any games yet or if running OBS will be doable for broadcasting on twitch while I play those games. But I have no error messages and no AMD software downloaded just the two drivers and nVidia software.

You think I should download the AMD software as well? 

Thanks! ^.^

0 Likes
Gabkrys
Journeyman III

I just encountered this problem when I installed an RX 6400 on my AMD Ryzen 3 computer. Since the Gpu has only a DP and an HDMI port but I wanted to use 3 monitors, I plugged in the 3rd monitor on the on-board VGA port and enabled the Surround view in BIOS. It somehow destroys the AMD driver on device manager.  Now I'm stuck with only 2 monitors.

0 Likes
PawAll3Deller
Adept II

Hi!
The same story!
My Pro W5500 has been lying for a long time, it is impossible to sell such a video card, and it is impossible to recapture at least half of the costs.

And I decided to test a similar AMD+NVIDIA method in a PC with ASRock B550 Pro4.

The plan was as follows:
- AMD - used for the main operation of the system, windows, browsers, 3 screens + 1 television, output to monitors.
- NVIDIA - for work, Stable Diffusion, games and other powerful tasks.

Strangely, the AMD driver was installed without problems, the connection of monitors to AMD ports went fine, both video cards are visible in the system.
But! It is not possible to set up a discrete and main video card...NVIDIA does not have the parameters "Preferred GPU", AMD does not have "Use GPU for output to monitors".

There is a built-in solution in Windows 11, display /graphics/ select an application and set the preferred GPU, but no, applications run only with the video card to which the monitors are connected.

I came up with another idea, and it seemed to work, but it wasn't tested.:
- I connected the main (Gaming) monitor to NVIDIA, and the auxiliary monitors to AMD.
This option seems to work on the NVIDIA processor, but there are freezes, and yet it is a "crutch", not a software solution.

I apologize to the moderators, I will open a new topic on this issue, because it is an urgent problem nowadays. The solution with integrated GPUs has been solved, and a more professional approach is not even considered...

0 Likes