cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Grimripper498
Journeyman III

AMD 5800X3D and 6700XT having trouble running Call of Duty MW2

So I recently upgraded my PC from a 1080 and an I7 intel processor. I was able to run call of duty just fine. getting really good framerates. After the changes to my PC, I cannot even use the menus in COD. The frame rate just bottoms out 2 minutes after starting the game. I get 6 fps in the menus and the online play is so bad that a still-picture movie plays faster. I have been trying for 2 months to talk to someone in the Activision Support page but they have either closed my cases without doing anything to help or they are ignoring me after I give them the information about my issues and screenshots to show what is happening. I don't know what else to do. Can anyone here help me out? Thanks.

0 Likes
9 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

First what are your spec. Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM congfiguration, PSU, and storage. 

Have you looked to see if you have an overheating problem? You can use HWinfo64 and it will log peak temps so you can see what the max temp you hit was with your CPU and GPU.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

I have a ROG Strix B-550-F Gaming Wi-fi motherboard, Ryzen 5 5800X 3D, AMD Gigabyte 6700XT GPU, 32 gigs of Ram running DOCP, a Corsair 750W Gold PSU, and around 3 TB or storage (2TB m.2 970 Evo, 500GB SSD, and 500 HDD). Running windows 11. 

I checked my diagnostics and I'm not having an overheating problem (running around 54 Celsius). 

I am having an issue where the GPU utilization spikes rapidly from 6% to 88% and back down very quickly and constantly when I'm playing Call of Duty. 

Mind you, this only happens on Call of duty. Newer games run fine without any issues. I even tried switching back to my original 1080 and the problem was even worse.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

Did you do a clean installation of Windows after changing hardware and didn't just stick the old drive to new machine as that doesn't work.

You did enable at least XMP from BIOS

Also you did download chipset drivers from amd.com install them, then installed gpu drivers from amd.com and do not use any msi afterburners or other such software?

You have tried performance with something else too, than simply one program?

And you have reinstalled COD due to these issues?

0 Likes

I did a clean install of windows. 

I just got new RAM (32 GB) now and I do have DOCP running in BIOS now.

I downloaded all of my drivers from AMD and I do not have MSI Afterburner or Razer anything.

I have played many other games (Escape from Tarkov, Battlefield 5, Cyberpunk 2077, Callisto Protocol, Hogwarts Legacy) and everything runs great with 0 issues.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled COD as well as running the Scan and repair multiple times.

0 Likes

What hardware do you have, motherboard, GPU, CPU, RAM Configuration, PSU, and do you have Freesync turned on? Are you using two separate cables to power the GPU? Is SAM enabled?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

The Hardware is as follows: GPU- AMD Gigabyte 6700XT, CPU- Radeon 5 5800X 3D, RAM- 32 GB of DDR4 3200 CL16 on DOCP, PSU- 750W 80plus Corsair. Freesync is off. Two cables are powering the GPU. I am not sure what SAM is.

0 Likes

SAM is smart access memory. You can enable it by enabling resizable bar in BIOS. 

Since other games are running fine there must be something wrong with the game, or that is what I take away from the information you have provided. 

When you looked at temps did you also look at hotspot temperatures on the GPU? Those can cause throttling as well. 

The reason I recommended HWinfo64 is because if you open it and let it run in the background before launching the game it will show peak temperatures, minimum temperatures, and average temperature as well as frequency information for not only the GPU but also the CPU and RAM.

I am still stumped. If all the other games are running fine for extended periods either they are not tasking the hardware enough to cause overheating or your system is not overheating at all, and the problem lies within Call of Duty. 

0 Likes

I got 5800X3-D RX6800 ASROCK phantom G4 almost same stuff man. I had an issue running ARMA Reforger like that were it just dogged and everything spiked. youve done all the trouble shooting only thing I did different was I pulled the card and pulled the processor everything was good of course but put it back together with new paste and made sure the card was in good and stable and I havent even seen a problem what so ever I mean its worth a shot hope it worksout for you man.

0 Likes
ScubaSteveo
Journeyman III

I’m late to this, but I’ve had the same issues and followed many of the same steps you have. I also tried messing with windows, making sure everything was high performance and disabled windows defender to see if that was it. I just don’t play COD anymore as a result of it. Did you ever figure something out? 

0 Likes