Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

egeland91
Journeyman III

AMD 5700XT Crashing Grey Screen with Blue lines

Hi,

I have some problems when I launch/play games (especially games with good graphics) my machine freezes then suddenly after I'll get a grey screen with vertical blue lines.

Picture link: https://ibb.co/LgS21X2

I have tried to install the latest driver, uninstall the driver, factory reset the computer. But still, the same problem occurs.

I have an Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT ROG Strix OC.

Anyone knows why this happens?

16 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Check your PSU. I'd go back to the 20.8.3 driver as well, using DDU in safe mode. Check the monitor since that's the new, super expensive, I think OLED? In any case the card is seeing the screen as multiple displays because of the size. Try a different display if you have one, see if it happens. Still, use the 20.8.3 driver with the 5000 series cards.

"It worked before you broke it!"

Thanks for reply!

I do have an silver 750w psu, should not that be enough? . Yes, it is the G9 samsung one. 

Current pc spec:

I9-9990k

Asus rog gaming Z390 -F

32gm (2x16gb) ram 2666mhz

The PSU is plenty as long as it's not older than 5 years or so. Even then it is probably fine. If you have 2 PCIe separate power cables for the GPU, use them both rather then splitting one or using one that's dongled into 2. Use DDU to uninstall the current video driver and install the 20.8.3 driver.

AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT Previous Drivers | AMD  Scroll down for the 20.8.3 driver for Windows 10 and download it only for now.

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.5 (guru3d.com)  Scroll to the bottom for the mirror closest to you. Then install the program but run it in "safe mode" to remove the AMD drivers for the GPU. Instructions are simple. Disconnect form the internet while removing/installing the driver.

(In case you don't know how: To get into "safe mode" in Windows 10, hold the "shift" key when you click on "restart". This will bring up the repair menu, select  "advanced", "start up options", "safe mode". with or without networking doesn't matter for this. The PC will reboot, enter your password or PIN and you should be in "safe mode". Run DDU and uninstall the AMD GPU driver with reboot option enabled as default. Stay offline while you install the 20.8.3 driver.)

Before you connect back to the internet, go into the Radeon settings and disable the automatic update feature or you'll be back to where you began. 

Now see if the card does that without any further adjustments. Post back with results please.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
CH1N1AN
Adept I

Did you ever fix this? Mine has done it for months ever since I got my G9 ultrawide 240hz..

There doesn't seem to be any explanation as to why or when it happens.

I emailed support and went through all of their suggestions for weeks, they said I need to send the GPU back and claim warranty, but I know the GPU isn't broken, I never had this issue with 2 other monitors I used for a long time before the G9.

20210316_102352.jpg

Ryzen5-5600x

Nitro 5700xt

1000w PSU

16GB ram

I have the exact same issue on my odyssey g9 with a 6800 xt. Did you make any progress or figure it out?

I have the same issue with RX 6900 XT and Samsung G9 Odyssey..the same grey screen and blue lines apear and my pc gets stuck..i need to do a hard reset.

So far I've not had the issue today. Make sure you download the 'device(install)  (c49g9xT)' file and the latest firmware on Samsung's website.   https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LC49G95TSSUXEN/#downloads

0 Likes

I have the latest firmware and drivers ..i only have this problem with 6900 xt.... my rtx 3070 has no issue with the monitor..i am sure it is something with the AMD drivers and DSC..since this monitor uses DSC compression.

Just came here to say I have this exact same issue (I wasn't sure to be relieved or excited when I saw your pic looking exactly like what happens to me on my Odyssey G9).

I'm running:

• The new 7800 XT (AMD reference card); Adrenaline drivers 23.11.1
  • Samsung Odyssey G9; FW version M-T9549GGAA-1019.0 (which I think is the latest); Freesync on, 240Hz
  • No overclocked settings (across entire system, No XMP)
  • All AMD features disabled; just straight rasterized rendering
  • Vsync disabled in all games, Freesync only - which I would test disabled (and "feel" like is related, as turning Vsync off seemed to reduce frequency of failure) but I can't stand the screen tearing and the issue happens so intermittently (I can go days, up to a couple weeks) that I'd have to live with screen tearing for a month to know it was the root cause.

I am going to try setting the display to 120Hz for a while and see if things change.

I also have a G9 at 240 hz and had similar issues with a non-OC Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX. I setup sensor logging in HWInfo and at least in my case, I found after the crash that the card was getting pretty warm (75C) and pulling about 540W (not a typo). Its worth mentioning for those that see this that I have 3 non daisy chained sources of power going to the card, so I'm not having any kind of power constraints. I have a gold 1000w power supply that has no issues pushing this much power.

This may sound ridiculous, but I jacked up the fan curves to run aggressively and for the time being the issue has gone away. I was getting a crash within 10 minutes of gaming and just got done with several hours of gaming with extremely good performance (540 fps in one game).

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. I will report back if I find out additional information.

0 Likes

You left off 1 key spec of the Odyssey G9, it supports HDMI 2.2 of which the 6900 XT supports HDMI 2.1 and the 5700 XT HDMI 2.0

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
Akitaman67
Journeyman III

I have Odyssey G7, 6700xt and I also have this issue if I update from 21.10.2. It will work for a while then grey screen a a few mins into a game and I will have to power of pc and restart as soon as I go back to 21.10.2 it works fine again. I have tried DDU, repairing windows, swapping ram slots and even disabling vrr and freesync on monitor and turning off freesync in AMD. Nothing fixes the issue for me if anyone has figured out a fix let me know I have been having this issue for a long time now. 

0 Likes

I didn't fix the issue but I somehow overpowered it. After many months of 5700xt crashing, I just bought at 6900xt. The grey/blue line screen flashes up for less than a second sometimes and then goes away, so for me it's fixed. I just figured that buying a much better card to handle the display might help, and it did. Even though I still see the screen flash rarely, it's almost like the card just plows through and doesn't crash. Hope they patch it because I understand the 6900xt is well beyond a reasonable budget for such a stupid crash

0 Likes

Are you overclocking the GPU?

What you are describing looks like the results overheating from voltage set too high.

No OC on old card or new. It looks like its just a **bleep**ty driver with these monitors as it seems common enough. The issue is that G9 superultrawide users are already a tiny minority as is.. so a common fault among us is a rare fault overall; not on AMDs priority.

My OP stated how the card worked completely fine before the new monitor, and both 5700xt and 6900xt do this crash. The big difference is the 6900xt powers through it and flickers the screen for less than a second, whereas the 5700xt went to full crash

First go here: 

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt.c3339

and for a side by side comparison here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6900-xt.c3481

You will see very quickly why the 6900 XT behaves differently than the 5700 XT.  One factor could be the RDNA.  compare the L cache in the rendering section.  Compare the VRAM.  many specs will indicate that the 6900 XT is twice the card as the 5700 XT.  

Check the version of the HDMI port the monitor requires, another spec issue.

Make sure that you have both power connectors from 2 different cables.  The 5700 XT requires 1 x 6 pin and 1x 8pin where as the 6900 XT requires 2x8 pin.

Now, your suspecting the Adrenalin drivers and have conducted what needs to be done to test them and still no success.

Are you running the latest motherboard BIOS?

Are you running the latest chipset drivers?

A lot of things to try and a lot of things to consider and perhaps dwell on.  Two things come to mind.  Is the motherboard compatible to run the monitor.  That would be my #1 concern based on what I am seeing.  Along with the obsolescence of the 5700 XT.

0 Likes