cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

amplighter
Adept III

AMD 15DD Graphics / Radeon RX 580 / AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radion Vega Graphics

This is what's on my computer and could be the reason I'm not able to update using the Catalyst:

• AMD 15DD Graphics
  • Radeon RX 580
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radion Vega Graphics

I sent word to HP & AMD about this and have yet to hear back. Even with the use of the AMD installer I keep getting the 1603 error and yes I've went to the site which explains what one should to to correct this, but nothing is working. However, should I be worried?.. Well the game is playing better than expected even though upon entry, I get the "update your drivers" error message.

Last bit of info.. I'm unable to work past the WIN10 1803 update so could this be contributing to this issue on not being able to update my drivers?.

What happen to the good ole days of being able to log into the FTP server, download the files and manually install them yourself. We now have to use something called a catalyst to install stuff, I just need the RX 580 drivers without the catalyst is this possible?

0 Likes
3 Solutions

UPDATE

After near one month since purchasing this computer with a number of failed attempts at updating the video drivers, sound drivers as well as the dreaded WIN10 1803. I was able to finally successfully update my video & sound drivers without the support of AMD. Although I had been in contact with an AMD tech rep, he didn't offer me a plausible solution or excuse to my issue or their issue as the case maybe.

It seems the issue wasn't how I was attempting to update the drivers using the AMD's catalyst. Attempt after failed attempt I simply gave up. Until just moments ago. I entered the device manager, located the video card and clicked "update driver" selecting "have Disk" i located the AMD driver fold within their catalyst settings. BAM I now have updated drivers. I can't say the same for WIN10 1803..

View solution in original post

0 Likes

I was finally able to recover my first AMD account and I'm able to login back and report my findings with this issue. It's been a while since I've been here, mainly because I haven't had in trouble with updating my system till now. Here's the issue my system has bene going through. For one I've always hated the catalyst system loading in the back ground while attempting to play World of Warcraft. What happens is that when I enter major cities like Stormwind, the game acts like it lagging, choppy etc. My character acts like he's drunk running into thing etc. I couldn't take t any more so I deleted ALL of the amd drivers catalyst etc. But the game kept running, Windows loaded their latest version of the Radeon driver, but didn't load the Vega Graphics as my system has both of these installed and it's unclear as to why.

I returned to WoW and went directly to Stormwind only to see.. the game was soo smooth like silk.. no more running into walls acting like I was drunk.. Now this was on the windows 10 drivers.. so why is there a difference? This morning, my monitor wasn't or didn't turn on, I figured it was on power saving mode, But I have my power mode set differently. I had to reboot the system where as the monitor came back on. 

The moral here, Is that since participating in the forum, I've always dislikes that I had to download install the full version of the catalyst and not just the drivers.. To test this and because i had deleted the drivers, I return to the support page drivers. Before downloading's anything I scrolled down and selected my graphic driver and was given three options, download the full version, download or upgrade the current version or download just the drivers. I'm like YES! finally I can download just the drivers without the crappy back ground loading catalyst.

So to anyone like me who continues to have bogged down games while the catalyst is loaded in the back ground, uninstalled the catalyst, return to the AMD support page and download just the drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

So Thank you AMD for finally listening to my complaints over the years about the catalyst. Now I can get just the drivers I need without all the extra crap I don't need.

0 Likes

here's the latest and I feel like Gib's slap.. so I've been trying to figure out why wow was choppy but only in major cities or when ever I wonder into where someone is having a petbattle. I took a chance and turned off my email services & media player as I listen to music while int he game. With nothing running other than wow and a few background programs that can't be turned off.. I return to the worst zone for this choppiness.. Dalaran and the result.. smooth as silk. Near zero choppyness. So looks as if I'll have to get an extremal MP3 player or stream my music another way. 

When a site tells you to disable all background programs, Best do so in order to have the best playing experience possible.

0 Likes
9 Replies
amplighter
Adept III

Here's the lastest:

Got an email for someone over at AMD to address my issue of drivers not updating correctly. Here's the quoted email:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for the email.

I understand that you are experiencing an error 1603 issue while updating the display driver for your RX580 graphics card

This error could be triggered due to multiple reasons, the common cause of this is when the windows Installer attempts to install an app that is already installed on your PC.

Please try performing the following troubleshooting steps to install the driver:                                                    

• If your Documents folder or any of the other ones(Pictures, Music, Videos, etc.) are pointed to a network drive, reset all those back to default. You can do this by right clicking on it – Reset to defaults.Example – Right click on My Pictures – Properties – Reset to defaults.
  • Please open Control Panel and click on Apps/Programs and features. Search for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 (Both x64 and X86).Uninstall them. Reboot the computer and then follow the below steps to install the latest drivers.
  • Again,perform clean uninstallation of the drivers using DDU Utility (Display Driver Uninstaller) by launching it in Safe mode. It will help you completely uninstall AMD graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind.
  • Once the drivers are uninstalled, install all the critical and recommended updates from Windows.
  • Download and install the latest 18.7.1 driver provided in the link: Only for Window s10 and Windows 7 OS

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-7-1

If the issue persists, to narrow down this issue please try installing the 18.2.1 driver provided here. Again, please use the DDU tool to remove the older driver files first.

Please perform theabove steps to install the driver

Thanks for contacting AMD

Best regards,

Ganesh

AMD Global Customer Care

The results, Failed again. Even after following the above suggest to the letter.

0 Likes

UPDATE

After near one month since purchasing this computer with a number of failed attempts at updating the video drivers, sound drivers as well as the dreaded WIN10 1803. I was able to finally successfully update my video & sound drivers without the support of AMD. Although I had been in contact with an AMD tech rep, he didn't offer me a plausible solution or excuse to my issue or their issue as the case maybe.

It seems the issue wasn't how I was attempting to update the drivers using the AMD's catalyst. Attempt after failed attempt I simply gave up. Until just moments ago. I entered the device manager, located the video card and clicked "update driver" selecting "have Disk" i located the AMD driver fold within their catalyst settings. BAM I now have updated drivers. I can't say the same for WIN10 1803..

0 Likes
gaming_adventures
Journeyman III

Hey, Amplighter can you help me out m8? When you said you fixed it you said you located the "AMD driver fold within their catalyst settings" can you tell me where I can find it?

0 Likes

Very sorry for the extremely late reply. Enter the device manager and locate the display drivers. select update driver then say have disk as the system tends to say "windows has updated to the most current driver for your system" However, I've attempt this once again without success as none of the Catalysis files offer an updated driver which windows don't recognizes. I keep asking (now and then) for AMD to simply create a driver data base just for video drivers instead of for the Catalysis setup. The driver should be on an FTP service where anyone can access these drivers. Currently Windows/Microsoft has a driver data base storage setup, but the latest update for my video card is Oct 2017..

As for my above posted issues, my system still shows that I have 2 different video drivers. I've since disabled the AMD 15DD graphics driver that's not being used.

0 Likes
AmplighterII
Journeyman III

So here's what I've been up to since my last login with the AMD community. Oh btw, I lost my password to my old account and the email associated with the account is no longer valid. So had to create a new account. Finally got that win10 error cord corrected and the AMD video driver was working great for 2 years. But with the last and most current update (I still have the same ole system) it now tells me I have no drivers at all within my system I keep getting an error code and follow the direction to the best of my knowledge and have even again contacted HP to see if they can correct this. 

For what it's worth.. I HATE AMD"s Catalyst Driver set up. I've complain to AMD several times in the beginning that All I need is just a video driver without all the extra crap. What ever happen to the days when you could go to an FTP service and download the drivers you needed with all the extra crap.

So It's that time again. Here is my computer/video driver setup

• AMD 15DD Graphics
  • Radeon RX 580
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radion Vega Graphics

I've followed all of the instructions but I keep getting this error code: 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb1603

The exact error code I got back in 2018 when I first came to the community. Win10 id running fine and updated, But when playing world of warcraft, it says my video driver is out of date. Just everything I try to update the drive I keep getting the same error code and the drive never updates. Plus as I said above, if I go to my device manager, it doesn't list any display driver so I can't update from the device manager when there's no display drive in the profile. yet I'm here and I suspect that windows is using a basic driver for me to actually be here.

Finally made some progress this afternoon. After posting my issue early this morning I tried 16 times to follow directions etc and nothing was working. It got to the point where even the graphics drivers were no long on the device manager list.. But my system kept running.

Moments ago, I've just return to being online after being offline for several hours. I was performing a system reset. Doing this, allowed a fresh start of all the main system drivers and my graphics drivers returned to my device manager screen. From here, I clicked on the last update I saved and the drivers finally updated to the current version.

So for the second or third time, I've yet to receive any support from anyone from AMD but I was able to correct the issue my self after being offline since early this morning.

For what it worth, If anyone has this same type of driver updating issue here is the steps you need to follow to get this corrected.

1. Goto the AMD catalyst page
  2. Download the latest catalyst and save to your computer. 
  3. Save all data and images to a flash just in case.
  4. Then preform a "system reset" which is very similar to a factory reset of your smart phones. Make sure you check the correct setting as to not disrupt your current files, folders, image & music etc. This factory reset will take 1 hour to complete.
  5. Once the system comes back up, adjust any firewall and app settings.
  6. Then locate the catalyst drive your downloaded earlier.  Follow the on screen prompts and allow the software to install. 
0 Likes

I was finally able to recover my first AMD account and I'm able to login back and report my findings with this issue. It's been a while since I've been here, mainly because I haven't had in trouble with updating my system till now. Here's the issue my system has bene going through. For one I've always hated the catalyst system loading in the back ground while attempting to play World of Warcraft. What happens is that when I enter major cities like Stormwind, the game acts like it lagging, choppy etc. My character acts like he's drunk running into thing etc. I couldn't take t any more so I deleted ALL of the amd drivers catalyst etc. But the game kept running, Windows loaded their latest version of the Radeon driver, but didn't load the Vega Graphics as my system has both of these installed and it's unclear as to why.

I returned to WoW and went directly to Stormwind only to see.. the game was soo smooth like silk.. no more running into walls acting like I was drunk.. Now this was on the windows 10 drivers.. so why is there a difference? This morning, my monitor wasn't or didn't turn on, I figured it was on power saving mode, But I have my power mode set differently. I had to reboot the system where as the monitor came back on. 

The moral here, Is that since participating in the forum, I've always dislikes that I had to download install the full version of the catalyst and not just the drivers.. To test this and because i had deleted the drivers, I return to the support page drivers. Before downloading's anything I scrolled down and selected my graphic driver and was given three options, download the full version, download or upgrade the current version or download just the drivers. I'm like YES! finally I can download just the drivers without the crappy back ground loading catalyst.

So to anyone like me who continues to have bogged down games while the catalyst is loaded in the back ground, uninstalled the catalyst, return to the AMD support page and download just the drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

So Thank you AMD for finally listening to my complaints over the years about the catalyst. Now I can get just the drivers I need without all the extra crap I don't need.

0 Likes

Well now, after going through all that I went through yesterday and when I returned to the game entered Stormwind, the game was all choppy again. It's worse in Dalaran. I've always suspected that "addon" used by other players are causing these lag/choppy game play. One other thing I've noticed is that while exploring Azeroth, the game would get choppy. When this would happen I'd stop, look around in the world and I would see other players doing petbattles. For some reason while other players are in petbattles, the game gets choppy again. So although I finally got rid of the catalyst and downloaded just the drivers (upon my request) I'm still suffering with the lag/choppy game play but only when entering major cities or when I encounter and petbattle.

So is it possible for someone at AMD (or within the forums) to see if they can recreate what I'm going through while playing WoW.

0 Likes

here's the latest and I feel like Gib's slap.. so I've been trying to figure out why wow was choppy but only in major cities or when ever I wonder into where someone is having a petbattle. I took a chance and turned off my email services & media player as I listen to music while int he game. With nothing running other than wow and a few background programs that can't be turned off.. I return to the worst zone for this choppiness.. Dalaran and the result.. smooth as silk. Near zero choppyness. So looks as if I'll have to get an extremal MP3 player or stream my music another way. 

When a site tells you to disable all background programs, Best do so in order to have the best playing experience possible.

0 Likes