cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mistkog
Journeyman III

After reinstalling windows my GPU gets very hot

After reinstalling windows my GPU gets very hot until the computer shutdown, temps go above 80c, XFX RX580. Everything was working fine before.

0 Likes
5 Replies
khun_doug
Elite

While I don't have that specific GPU, your problem intrigues me. To butter understand your setup I have a few questions. What version of Windows did you install? After the install did you allow the OS to gather and install the latest patches? I ask this because Windows 10 does not generally grab the latest build updates on a fresh install; it takes some extra steps to get that to happen. You may be using some other OS, that is the reason to ask. Were there ANY CHANGES to the hardware or anything inside the case from before your new installation of the OS (when the GPU worked properly) and now? Have you installed the latest version or a relatively current version of Adrenalin? The current version is 19.4.1. Does Adrenalin auto start when the PC starts up?

From the main desktop open Adrenalin and go to Gaming, Global settings, Global WattMan. Scroll down and you will see a section for Fan & Temperature. That will show you the speed of the fan and the temperature. In there you can see the RPM of the fan(s), and the temperature, and how the fan is controlled. There are also third party tools that collect and display the GPU data. GPU-Z and HWInfo64 are two that I am familiar with. You can see fan speed, voltages, frequencies, and temperatures.

0 Likes

Thank you for replying, I when through the settings of wattMan and trying to learn how it works, but have to keep the fan on 70% and up to keep the temp around 40c to 50c (IDLE). And yes I installed the last version Radeon Software Version 19.4.1

0 Likes

I still don't know what version of Windows OS you are using. If you are using Windows 10, and are updated to the latest build, build 1809, you can get useful information from Windows Task Manager. Open Task Manager and on the Processes tab there are columns labeled GPU and GPU engine. If you don't see those columns you can right-click on the column headers and add them. Those columns will show you what processes are using GPU resources and on what GPU. You can then use that information to delve into your system to determine what is making your GPU so busy.

Another suggestion would be to force a clean uninstall and then clean install. There is always the chance that something went wrong in the installation. There is a free utility called DDU, Display Driver Utility (or Uninstall). DDU works best if the machine is running in Safe Mode. I would recommend a total removal of the current driver and software with DDU, then reinstall after the restart. That should make certain you are running at the current rev of Adrenalin.

0 Likes

One other thought occurred to me, relating back to an incident that happened to me. Somehow I acquired a piece of malware that acted like a cryptocurrency miner. Every time the PC got idle for 60 seconds or so, meaning no mouse and no keyboard input, the malware miner would awaken and max out part of the CPU. I had to use Malwarebytes to remove the thing, and even then I still had to manually edit the registry to completely remove all traces. It may be possible you have a piece of malware that is working your GPU. If you cannot find anything else, a scan with Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes would be a good suggestion.

0 Likes

This current thread is the same as yours. Take a look at it because it shows how to properly configure Wattman plus some other information concerning the latest drivers and RX 5xx GPU Cards: https://community.amd.com/thread/238477 

0 Likes