cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

photosozo
Adept I

Adrenalin 23.2.1Corrupting Windows 11 Systems 7900 XTX

I recently installed the newest graphics drivers on my system, and my friend, who has a similar system. Both of us have had basically BSOD crashes, and my system was basically bricked after installing this version of the Driver.

I completely wiped my system (As result of brick) and attempted fresh install, immediate BSOD on this driver. So wiped again and reverting back to 23.1.1 resolved all my issues (minus longstanding bugs present in drivers obviously)

Sapphire 7900 XTX (AMD version)

Ryzen 7600X

Asus X670E-I

32 GB G Skill Flare Ram

WD SN850x SSD

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2/‎14/‎2023
OS build 22621.1265
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

Friend is running same version of Windows 11 Pro with

7900x CPU

Gigabyte 7900 XTX

Asus Strix B650E Board

Primaries differences between board.

Reddit Thread has several people reporting similar issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/112gtb3/amd_software_adrenalin_edition_2321_release_notes/

Hope this helps a resolve this!

Edited title to perhaps better reflect for other readers sake.

7 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

It would seem unlikely as it's not like they don't test drivers before releasing them.

Do you have the latest BIOS and chipset driver too? And you downloaded both the chipset driver and the GPU driver from amd.com? 

Just in case Win11 driver update has it hands in this one too, disable Windows automatic driver update, DDU GPU drivers and install them again.

When does the crash appear, is it for instance while running a specific game?

And youbdon't have any 3rd party software, like afterburner running?

My apologies. I meant to respond to Photosozo. I'm currently at work on lunch break. I'm also running the 23.2.1 adrenaline driver. I just installed the Red Devil 7900xtx. My system is running fine. ( Had I known beforehand that 23.2.1 was problematic, I never would have installed it) I can post the specs later. I have noticed that occasional artifacts appear on my screen at the Asus splash screen when it is loading Windows 11. This morning I had little red dots all over the screen. Once windows loaded, everything was fine.

Windows did try to install an update for a micro device graphics, but that update failed. I wonder if that update failing saved my windows from bricking.

0 Likes
photosozo
Adept I

Yes, up to date BIOS and Chipset Drivers, this was (before the new Driver) a fresh install, and even after bricking, and fresh install, BSOD brick again. I downloaded AMD's GPU driver from their own site, and all my chipset drivers from Asus official support site.

I enable the GPO to prevent windows 11 from installing drivers. Friend even with DDU, his system is essentially bricked as it constantly freezes (also a fresh new build as of today when he got his parts in)

Mine appears during install. His was just chilling or the initial load of games, regardless of game engine (unity, unreal etc.)

No additional software was installed on my on multiple bricks/crashing. Friends is a new build so no he had nothing either.

0 Likes

"all my chipset drivers from Asus official support site."

Would rather get them from amd.com 

Before it was normal to download also Intel driver from Intel and Nvidia from Nvidia, but for some reason Intel no longer offers driver downloads. Drivers on different brand sites can be old versions or sometimes, though rarely, modified. For laptops and brand computers, using HP, Lenovo aso. driver is most reliable, but for DYI I'd use whoever made the chipset/chip.

"Mine appears during install. His was just chilling or the initial load of games, regardless of game engine"

Could be the driver yes, but also sounds like could be some issue with user rights management (still a driver thing, but related to installation perhaps and something amd would have to fix). If it's user rights thing, it _might_ work if you installed it while being logged in as administrator and not just user giving admin rights to installer or maybe give temporary admin rights. Or it could be that antivirus - maybe the built-in one blocks some file without mentioning it. Or it could be one of the .NET framework installations or Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables. being corrupted, installed twice (shouldn't happen but can happen).

Would be interesting if there was this large public chart of hardware and software people use and which of them have technical or driver issues, because it is likely that drivers work in most systems, but when you are unlucky and have a version X of some file installed or a combination of motherboard A, CPU B and GPU C, which just don't work together for some reason.

0 Likes
photosozo
Adept I

I also did not connect my computer to the internet on the 3rd install, as to ensure WSUS did not attempt anything and proved to have the same results.

0 Likes

6900XT. Unrecoverable system after driver install. AMad did it AGAIN!

jsk68
Challenger

Do you know what "bricking" even means?

I certainly understand the frustration but overreacting doesn't help anyone, win 11 is in beta right now, it's entirely possible it may be the reason you are having issues but you wont know if you don't check.

0 Likes