cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SlickShoes
Journeyman III

7900XTX extended display across multiple monitors stuttering

I am noticing significantly worse performance as well as micro-stuttering across many games (Destiny, Borderlands, Cyberpunk, etc..) when I have my second monitor plugged in and enabled. I can immediately remove this issue and every game will run smooth as butter as soon as I disable the secondary display. My secondary display is running at the same resolution but it's a 60hz monitor, my primary display runs at 165hz and running at 2560x1440. My GPU is not experiencing the thermal issues the reference cards are experiencing (It's an XFX card), my junction temperature never gets out of the 70's max even if I extensively overclock it, so I do not believe this is thermal throttling. 

I tried many things to resolve the issue:

- Replaced DP cable 

- Changed Ports on back of GPU

- Undervolted 

- Overclocked

- Disabled / Enabled many different settings

- Ensured Resizable BAR was enabled in BIOS

- Undervolted CPU

- Disabled ULPS

I tried several other "fixes" I found on the internet but to no avail. The only thing that stops the issue from occurring is disabling the secondary display. Curious if anyone else has this issue (it's very noticeable micro-stuttering) and has any idea what to try to fix it . 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
11 Replies
uncyler825
Adept III

If you have an AMD Radeon RX 7900 Series graphics product, and the BSOD (error code: DPC_Watchdog_Violation. caused by amdkmdag.sys)、stuttering、blackscreen or flickering screen problem occurs for unknown reasons, you can refer to this article:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/for-rx-7900-series-driver-with-refresh-rates-above-60-hz-may-cause...

You can try adjust refresh rates to 60Hz and turn off variable refresh rate feature, disabled AMD FressSync from Radeon Settings.

Notice: Connect 1 monitor only.

This ways maybe can solve your problem.

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

lol you litteraly just tryed everything you found even if not related at all ...

yeah different frequencies in monitor screen is listed in "known issues" causing certains problems ... reading driver info will help you not to search too hard for such problems

0 Likes

For one, I'm not doing video playback or window switching this happens in game with only the game launched. I'm also not experiencing driver timeouts or black screens, this is literally micro-stuttering like was stated. Everything I have tried was relative to micro-stuttering. Maybe you should try reading and understanding the driver release info before bothering to comment. 

• During video playback and window switching, an intermittent driver timeout or black screen may occur on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using some 240Hz refresh rate displays or high refresh rate primary display plus low refresh rate secondary display configurations.

0 Likes

Yeah but i think you dont understand what i tried to explain,  so sorry to have bothered you, and good luck in your searching, hope you re going to find some day

0 Likes

No worries - sorry but it sounded pretty sarcastic. All good, if it's a driver issue at least I have a workaround for the interim. It's just somewhat annoying to have to disable my secondary screen to play certain games to avoid micro-stuttering. 

0 Likes

yep sorry for what i sound like sometimes when i reread me i try to correct,(and smiley are not allowed apparently , i just saw that) ...no i just tryied to say that some known issue, and other problems not exaclty the same, can be related

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

OP have you disabled MPO?  I have an AIB 6900XT and I've been catching hell since the moment I added a second UW monitor. 

Both of mine are 144hz but different color bit rates and sizes and the second monitor, 34" LG nano ips 344x1440 has been randomly blanking out no matter what I'm doing with it while my 38" primary 3840x1600 LG nano ips monitor doesn't have any display issues.

AMD stated they fixed this issue with the 22.11.2 driver but my issue continued on my x570 system all the way to the day I replaced it with an Intel Z790 13900k system.  Now it still goes blank on occasion but nothing like it did on the all amd hardware.

I am currently in search of a rtx 4090 to resolve this issue.  Never listen to AMD when they promise to correct something with a future driver update because the issue just might not be correctable with software.

0 Likes

I did try that, forgot to include that in the breakdown of things I tried, I disabled it when I also disabled ULPS. I have little confidence in AMD addressing it in drivers, if they do it'll be like a year from now most likely. Right now I'm at the point where I just press WIN+P and turn off the secondary display when gaming (which sucks, but isn't the end of the world). Still searching for other things to attempt to fix this. I think alternatively I can buy a second 165hz 2k monitor to replace this one, but I don't really want to shell out money to fix a problem that shouldn't be happening with this $1100 GPU. 

0 Likes
bas8534
Adept II

Following this thread for having same issue on 7900xt with 144hz monitor and experiencing worse gameplay than the old card from the competitor. (yes i am on the latest drivers)

0 Likes

Replying to myself,

With installing of 7900xt cpu interconnect/memory refuses 2000Mhz. Visible with hwinfo64, last item is the one if you have errors. It should stay zero or near zero for long periods(2 hours+).
Had to lower memory to 3800Mhz to keep 1:1 ratio. 
Why new card causes this, i do not think AMD can care, since 1900Mhz/3800Mhz is still outside specification (overclock). So not a driver issue in my case.

0 Likes
SlickShoes
Journeyman III

Tried swapping out the display port cable on the secondary monitor w/ an HDMI cable and that also did not help. I did figure out another workaround other than flat out disabling the secondary monitor. If you set the primary monitor to 120hz (basically double what I have my secondary monitor running at (60hz)) and enable Vsync in games the stuttering disappears. That being said it's not a workaround I want to do since I'm cutting the refresh rate down by 45hz and introducing some input latency w/ Vsync. 

I have found a lot of articles about similar issues with previous generation AMD cards and Freesync w/ secondary monitors running at different refresh rates. I'm at the point where I'm fairly certain this is a freesync issue and not specific to this GPU. That being said, disabling Freesync does not fix the issue, the only sure fire way to fix it without hampering performance is to disable the secondary monitor so far. 

0 Likes