cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Ubernoobs
Adept I

7900XT resetting PC

Recently built a new PC, and for the most part it has been working great. Occasionally though regardless of whatever games I play, the computer will suddenly turn it and automatically restart itself. The games can vary from anything intensive like Cyberpunk all the way to card games like Hearthstone. Looking at Event Viewer I can see that the Event ID is 41, Task Category 63 and keywords are (70368744177664),(2). I have 3 monitors connected: 144HZ 3440X1440P, 75HZ 2560X1080P & 60HZ 1920X1080P. At idle I average around 90-100W. Temps are all fine (CPU around 70 underload, GPU around 75). 

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Processor

MSI MPG B650I Edge Wi-Fi DDR5 ITX Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) 5200MHz CL40 DDR5 White

Lian Li SP750 SFX Gold 750W Modular Power Supply White

Powercolor Radeon RX 7900 XT 20GB RDNA 3

Windows 11 21H1 OS

Some things I have noticed:

• The total board power/usage of the card isn't always maxed out when the crashing occurs. I have seen it crash at all ranges of usage/utilisation.
  • The crashing tends to happen when I am doing something on a different monitor, but it does crash on its own when I play games like Cyberpunk.
  • When my PC resets, I do not need to flip the PSU switch back on, the computer boots normally (not PSU tripping?). 
  • I have gone a few days to weeks where to crashes occur, but it has suddenly started happening a lot more often. 

Things I have tried:

• Undervolting/limiting GPU usage at lots of different values. I have crashed when undervolted and at stock.
  • Reseating my GPU and all power connectors.
  • Have done multiple different types of stress tests and the system works fine, only crashes when playing games.
  • Used DDU to unistall and reinstall drivers

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 Solution
Ubernoobs
Adept I

I believe I have fixed this problem by disabling core performance boost in BIOS

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Psyhix69
Adept III

I have a question: do you have such high power usage with only one monitor connected (3440x1440)?

ThreeDee
Paragon

First guess is a PSU issue .. 750wt SFX doesn't quite equate a standard 750wtt PSU. .. and 750wtt being the "minimum" .. and I don't ever recommend going with "minimum requirements". You want more than enough PSU to handle any transient power spikes your system will demand from it at any given time

I'd go for at least an 850wtt 80+ Gold or better rated PSU

Ideally you want to run separate power cables from  your PSU to each power input on your GPU too

Other things to do that might help:

Make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date

Make sure you have the latest AM5 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Make sure your Windows install is up to date

IF you are using any cable extenders INSIDE your case and/or a PCIe riser cable .. try eliminating those for testing purposes and go straight from the PSU to your components .. and plug the GPU straight into the motherboard

..something else you could try is removing components from your case and running that way to see if perhaps the case is causing issues

ThreeDee PC specs
Koyote7667
Challenger

Ill bet its something with the second monitor. AMD needs to get on idle power usage and multi monitor use. 

DSinf
Adept I

I've been having the same problem, no indications of high temperatures or high power draw.

It restarts my PC when playing mount and blade Bannerlord but it doesnt restart my PC when playing Pavlov, VRchat or Escape From Tarkov.

[It used to restart my PC when playing VR games until I disabled the AMD overlay]

HumblePerca
Journeyman III

Have you been able to resolve this issue? 

I have the same motherboard and Radeon 7900 XT from Gigabyte, 850 wt PSU, and my computer sometimes shutdowns itself. I use only one display connected via HDMI or Display Port. The temperatures are fine, the power draw is acceptable (it can go much higher in OCCT, and it never shuts down during testing). 

Ubernoobs
Adept I

Changed to a SilverStone 1000W Platinum SFX-L Power Supply and still getting the same problems.

Do you have correct cabling for ATX12V to the motherboard? As the boosting pulls a lot of power, that could be an issue. (What mobo are you using and does it have a 4pin and an 8pin 12V ATX connector? 

The board powers the cpu, mem and IO, but also supplies upto 75W to the PCIE slots. 

0 Likes
Ubernoobs
Adept I

I believe I have fixed this problem by disabling core performance boost in BIOS

Each times i had this kind of problem i did that after a moment and it always worked and keep the GPU at 100 % : 

put on adrenalin : parameters -> settings -> GPU -> undervoltage

for my case :

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/for-them-who-have-random-crash-or-growing-temperature/td-p/590...

The author did mention in the original post, that undervoltage of the GPU didn't help to alleviate the problem.