Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Hofftari
Journeyman III

7900XT All games keep on crashing

Hi,

This is getting really annoying. No matter what I do I keep getting random crashes in any game that I play. Sometimes it's triggered by me tabbing out of the game and sometimes I can even just be away with the game running only to come back and see the "AMD display driver has crashed" message.

These are the steps I've tried to no avail:

- Clean install of Windows 10
- Changed my RAM
- Changed my motherboard and CPU
- Changed my power supply

I have all updated all drivers to the latest, and my motherboard firmware is also the latest.
I have two separate power cables going to the GPU.
Temperatures are not an issue as my CPU sits at around 40-45 Celsius and my GPU is at 69 Celsius when the system is under load.

Here is my current system specs:

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Asus TUF X670E Motherboard
G-skill Trident DDR5 6400 RAM
WD Black SN850 M.2 SSD
Seasonic Vertex GX 1000W PSU

Any help would be really appreciated. I've searched these forums and sadly it seems like many people have had issues with the XT card and games crashing. This is the first time I've switched over to AMD since when the ATI 9800 Pro was released and I'm already starting to regret it.

1 Solution
Hofftari
Journeyman III

Just wanted to update this, since I got no replies and resolved the issue myself.

I switched to Nvidia. All my problems went away.

This is the second and last time I've purchased and AMD card and both times it only gave me headaches.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hofftari
Journeyman III

Just wanted to update this, since I got no replies and resolved the issue myself.

I switched to Nvidia. All my problems went away.

This is the second and last time I've purchased and AMD card and both times it only gave me headaches.

I have exactly the same problem, 
I find it incredible and shameful that AMD does not do anything with this,
they don't even answer my emails asking for help,
this already happened to me with a 580 and I solved it by buying NVIDIA,
it seems that I will have to do the same With this 7900 XT,
I join this user in saying that I will never buy AMD again or recommend
it to anyone.
0 Likes

Ok, have you tried deleting the games's shader caches?

There are usually a few, there is the directX shader cache which you should definately delete if you mover over from Nvidia to AMD.

Next delete the Games individual shader caches, pretty easy for steam, just look at the folder of your gamelibrary->Steamapps->Shadercache.

Delete the folders inside that.

For MSFS delete the Cache and the rolling cache from the options menue.

Star Citizen got to C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Star Citizen

Otherwise search for the shader cache folder of your game.

Further you should run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in secure mode and with the option to shut the PC down before you install the new card!

DDU can be found here.

DDU @Guru3D 

Did all of that, had no problem with the switch from a 2060 to the 7900XT.

Edit: Typos

0 Likes