Hello all,

I have run into an issue with DP on my 7900 XTX

Environment:

AMD Ryzen  7700x

AMD 7900XTX by MSI

32 GB RAM

Win 11

Issue description: 

It is a fresh install, less than a week old. All firmware and drivers are up to date. Everything is running fine via HDMI. However I cannot connect the monitor to the PC via Display port. If I do that, the pc will boot up into this weird hung state, I don't have any input - mouse cursor invisible, keyboard does not react, does not even light up. After a few seconds/minutes, the PC crashes into BSOD an reboots. This will keep happening until I unplug the Display port and plug it back into HDMI. After plugging the HDMI back in the pc behaves normally. I get prompted by Adrenalin software to report a bug (which I did).

Troubleshooting done:

I tried plugging the cable in the remaining DP port on the GPU. I also tried disabling Adaptive Sync and variable refresh rate in Windows Graphics and in Adrenaline software, the issues still stays the same.

Any feedback appreciated. 

1 Reply
whymygameiscrashing
Journeyman III

UPDATE:

1. Clean reinstall - boot info safe mode, remove GPU drivers with DDU.

2. Reboot with Display Port as source

3. Install AMD drivers

4. Computer crashes after about a minute of normal behavior on Display Port, had to reboot the pc and change to HDMI -  works perfectly. If I try to switch back to DP the first behavior repeats.

Free synch disabled in driver settings, HW acceleration disabled in browser settings, VRR disabled in Windows Graphics.

AMD, my brothers in Christ...pliz fix. 

My card only has 1 HDMI and I need that for my TV, let me use my Display Ports.