Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

NichtRuiner
Adept I

7900 XTX crashing PC (PSU)

Hi there!
I hope somebody can tell me if this is a known bug which might get patched later or if I need a new PSU or GPU nontheless.

I installed the Powercolor 7900 XTX (by AMD) today. I deinstalled the old nvidia driver from my 1080 and installed all the things AMD threw at me. First check to see if it runs, was testing out "world of warcraft" and I really cant say, that I was satisfied with the (low) fps and micro stutters. The next game I opened was "Kingdom come" which also could only reach 60 fps most of the time. But after running around for about 2 minutes everything went black, my computer shut down.
I immediately knew that this was a sign of a PSU which cant handle the power consumption. So this might be the time to share my specs.
CPU: AMD 5600X (Newest Chipset-Drivers)
MB: ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (Newest BIOS, SAM disabled)
RAM: 2xCorsair Vengeance 16GB
GPU: AMD 7900 XTX (22.12.1 driver)
PSU: Cooler Master V750 80+Gold
SATA-Devices: 1xSSD & 4xHDD
Fans: 1xCPU & 3xCase Fans
The only thing out of the ordinary are my 3 Dell AW2518HF monitors with Freesync and 240Hz, which are merged into one eyefinity screen (5760x1080 resolution). "AMD Freesync premium" is activated for them, the rest ist not. Also one monitor is connected via HDMI, the other 2 are connected via Displayport.

So I also tried out "Ghostrunner" after but I am getting the same problem. Its running super janky and after 2 or 3 minutes my computer shuts down and I have to manually turn off and on the PSU powerbutton to restart. So this keeps happening. Using Windows is fine but trying to play a game is not possible unfortunately. Also what I found out is, that I can increase how fast the crash occurs if I Alt+Tab the game. It happens immediatly at the press of the tab-button then.

The things that I tried yet:
- Reduce the GPU-power by 10% in adrenaline and afterburner -> Didnt change anything
- Monitor the power consumption -> CPU ist fine and maxes out far under 100 watts. Cant get "Hwinfo64" GPU-power stats to show me the info in Afterburner.
- Checking how fast the crashes occur in different load scenarios -> Feels like its happening faster under heavy load
- Using other PSU Pcie connectors -> Nothing changed
- Cry -> didnt help a lot unfortunately

I know that there would be one solution laying out there, which is to just buy another PSU and look if the problems remain. I just dont like the testing out thing, which is just bad for the business. Also what I read on "igorslab" is, that even a 650W PSU is enough in most cases. But maybe I am not the first guy having this problems and things like eyefinity-setups are a problem currently. Also the performance is really not that crazy compared to my old 1080 with all the micro stuttering going on and okayish fps. I mean at my 3xFHD (3k) resolution this GPU should blast through every game, right? Might I have gotten a faulty GPU there, which causes all my problems?

All ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
1 Solution
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

The fact that its shutting down once it goes under load tells you that the PS is not enough for the draw on your system.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Otterkuh
Adept I

How did you connect your GPU? One 8pin or two? You have to connect it with two.

Oh sorry I didnt specify that. It is connected with 2x8-Pin connectors. I have 4x8-Pin connectors in total and tried them in different combinations also.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

The fact that its shutting down once it goes under load tells you that the PS is not enough for the draw on your system.

Its true. I didnt want to accept this thing not running on a 750W power supply. But after all, I think that the nearly 10year old PSU just couldnt handle it. Some guys dont have problems with 650W PSUs but these ones are just better quality/newer.

I got a thermaltake GF3 850W running now.
No more performance/stuttering issues, no more shutdowns. Even with the Overclocking profile it runs like a charm. Which is weird because the OC (+15%) takes around 100W more than the UC (-10%) profile.

Good to hear it man, enjoy your GPU

0 Likes

That's why I have a penchant for purchasing overpowered (OP) PSU, all my PSUs are 1kW and higher. My oldest is a Seasonic X-1250 PSU bought back in 2011/2012 IIRC, I'm running it on my soon to be retired 2nd gaming rig (i7 3960X + Vega64), gonna move it to my soon to be built 2nd rig (3900X + RX 6900 XT). I'm willing to put good money on it being able to run this new system, despite being about 10 year old now.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes

ive got a 7900xtx and a 5950x with crazy good undervolts that bring the same performance as an overclock but yeah recently i have been getting some freezes and stuttering. nothing is overheating. no hotspot issues, no mounting issues, all cables plugged in correctly. 2 separate pcie cables for the gpu, etc. i have an 850 plus gold psu from corsair; planning on upgrading to the 1000w next month since the cable mod cables are compatible and i'll possibly update on this then. idk i may forget lol

0 Likes
goldern
Journeyman III

do you hear coil whine with the old PSU? Has the new power supply reduced/removed coil whine?
Having some coil whine on both my PSU and GPU while under high load, but I'm in quite a bad situation because my case is mini itx and there's not much space to put a full size higher wattage PSU, using a Corsair SF750 platinum

0 Likes
Ballinhomeless
Journeyman III

Okay, I have a Thermaltake iRGB 1250 titanium and this keeps crashing. I even went to default tuning settings. I have the red devil version of this card. 3-8 pin connections! How can I figure out why it’s crashing!

0 Likes
MikeySCT
Challenger

Well, some things to do first, before deciding either you'd gotten a dud (GPU or PSU).

I believe you have the PCIe power cables connected to the PCIe power output/ports on the PSU, I believe they're the red ones, right?

Remove your GPU and reinsert it, sometimes the card/GPU isn't properly seated in the PCIe x16 slot, it can lead to a number of issues.

Also, it crashes, meaning it gets to desktop? Are your chipset driver updated? You've not indicated what mobo, or system specs, you're running, so it leaves a lot  of room for guess work....

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes