cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

glavata
Adept I

7900 XTX Crashing - Motherboard Automatically Overclock

Hey all, I'll try to keep this brief but I've fully gone down the rabbit hole and I can't tell if this is on me, AMD **bleep**ty drivers, or a defective card.

I decided to upgrade my GPU and thus ended up getting a whole new setup, so right now I'm working with Red Devil 7900XTX, Intel 13700kf, 32GB Gskill DDR4, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4. *Edit* I also got a Corsair RM1000x PSU

When I first put this setup together it seemed to be working fine. I was still on my old windows install from my old hardware, I did driver cleanup and all of that and I was gaming hard for hours at a time. As of yesterday, basically all of my games are crashing with very vague error messages.

BF1 Crashes either at the menu, or as soon as I get in the game, with a variation of errors. Event ID 1000, Event ID 1001 Event Name BEX64. PUBG Crashes at the menu as well, with no discernable log anywhere it it's files or event viewer. CSGO Crashes as well within a minute of playing it, no log. The only game that seems to work is Metro Last light, which works totally fine??

Every 1 out of 5 times I will get a BSOD screen with Clocl_Watchdog_Violation error.

I've tried most logical steps. First I did a completely fresh install of Windows 10, installed the latest AMD drivers (Adrenalin 23.1.1), I've tried the previous drivers as well with a DDU cleanup. I've tried windowed or full screen in these games. My card is not overheating or being overexerted, neither is my CPU. I tried turning off XMP as well. There are some parallels with this thread but that's the closest I've seen but nothing in there fixes my issue.

I'm at my wits end here guys, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice or point me in the right direction of some troubleshooting stuff. This card worked so well, I just don't get how suddenly there are all these issues.

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
glavata
Adept I

I feel like an idiot but think I found the solution. I didn't realize that my Mobo was automatically overclocking my 13700KF quite a bit, with a Clock ratio in the 50's at 5400MHz. I took that down a bit to around 4500Mhz and had no issue launching and of the games and playing for extended period. Now to see why the frequency cant go so high

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Moist
Adept III

I had some very similar issues when I was running a system with an 11900k. Found out I had to disable Cstates for some reason. I realize it may seem like a stretch if you were running fine before the new GPU but at least it's something quick to try. I have also found the 7900XTX can act really strange depending on power supply so if you have an extra one or can use someones for testing that's another thing I would try just to rule it out.

0 Likes

Hi, thank you for the response. I tried disabling Cstates but it made no impact. Sadly I don't have another PSU to test with but this is a brand new Corsair RM1000x I got for this build.

This is incredibly frustrating because somehow this same setup was working fine 2 days ago

0 Likes
glavata
Adept I

I feel like an idiot but think I found the solution. I didn't realize that my Mobo was automatically overclocking my 13700KF quite a bit, with a Clock ratio in the 50's at 5400MHz. I took that down a bit to around 4500Mhz and had no issue launching and of the games and playing for extended period. Now to see why the frequency cant go so high