cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mojo8448
Adept I

7900 XT Stuttering and Black Screen

just got a 7900 xt and now when in game I get stutter and every few minutes the screen goes black for a second or 2. only happens to the monitor that the game is running on the second one doesn't go black. also the momentary black screen happens on video playback but isn't as often. my specs are as follows

cpu: ryzen 5800x

ram: 2x 16gb 3600mhz cl18

mobo: msi MPG edge wifi x570

psu: seasonic 850w

gpu: powercolor reference 7900xt. used to be a rtx 2080super

monitors: 1 27in 1440p lg ultra gear and 1 32in lg 1440p ultra gear

things ive tried.

1.DDU and reinstall of drivers

2. chipset driver update

3. switching display ports around.

4. bios update

Any help would be much appreciated.

24 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You probably have done this but are you running to separate PCIe cables from the PSU?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

yes i have 2 separate 8 pin cables. 

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I know it's not an ideal fix, provided it works, have you tried running just a single monitor when you game?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

AMD mentions some dual-monitor setups failing to be a known issue. I would likely try manually setting same refreshrate to both of them to see if it helps.

tried that and it didn't change

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

Sorry. Misread your message so removed this part.

Try disabling and enabling freesync, VRR and superresolution. 

You could try running some gpu benchmark to see if it happends then too. People have driver issues if they have Apex Legends installed. Not sure if it is relevant anymore. Then you'd have to uninstasl game, then drivers snd reinstall drivers.

just tried disabling freesync with no luck. will try benchmarking and let you know then. 

0 Likes

just tried Unigine superposition and had 2 small micro stutters during it. it wasn't as bad as when i was playing any games. also no black screen during it. although that happens sporadically and its not easy to recreate. hell it even happens when watching YouTube although rarer than in game. also i dont have apex legends.   

0 Likes

With 6000-series GPU's, some people got rid of issues by disabling multiplane overlay. Some by disabling hardware acceleration from programs like steam, web browsers aso. For MPO there is a registry fix on nvidias site or it can be done manually. Just search this site for MPO. 

Just bought another DisplayPort cable and I fixed the black flicker I think. i haven seen it since. I guess both of the ones I had were bad. stutter is still there though

0 Likes

For stutters and that kind of issues I'd try the MPO thing I mentioned. It kind of sounds like some software incompatibility. Maybe also try to disable other types of overlays and reduce how many software you have running. Also make sure your monitor is running at correct refreshrate.

i tried it but to no avail. maybe its just a bad driver? has this been a common issue?

0 Likes
Roggano
Adept I

Still getting this same issue with a Sapphire 7900XT.  Tried all the steps listed, if anyone has any other solutions would be much appreciated

just the stutter or the black screen flicker .i fixed the black screen with a new DP cable. stutter is still there with RDR2 but i think its a driver issue.

I didn’t get any stuttering but the black screen issue is quite prominent. The cable worked fine with my old 1070 so I didn’t really think to try a new one but I’ve ordered a new cable. Hopefully solves the problem 

as with your 1070 my cable worked with my 2080super. but with the 7900xt it didn't. hope this works for you as it did with me. 

I’ll reply again once the cable arrives, I saw a few other posts online about a similar issue. Hopefully a new cable is the answer for everyone 

0 Likes
Zeltor
Adept II

Can you share your temps? How hot does the card get.

0 Likes
Roggano
Adept I

Looks like a new cable was all that I needed. No black screen issues since switching cables today.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

How many cables do you have connected to the card. It needs more than one even if the cable has a daisy chain.

0 Likes

My bad only just noticed what you meant, I use two different PCI-E cables. I did when I had the issues and they are still the same ones now.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

So, the issues are no longer present?

0 Likes

Yep no issues anymore

0 Likes
Roggano
Adept I

I've got 1 displayport and 1 HDMI. Since switching to a new cable ive had no problems whatsoever