cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

londospark
Adept I

7900 XT Intermittent freezing

I have just upgraded to a 7900XT from an RTX 2070S in a system with a Ryzen 9 5950X and a Corsair RMi 850 PSU, reinstalled Windows and installed the Adrenalin 22.12.2 software. Every few minutes/maybe once an hour or so I get a momentary lockup for about a second or 2 where sound will stutter and the screens will freeze.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Do I have a dud card or is there something that I need to do on my machine? Temps all seem fine and when I monitor power that seems fine, even with a Cinebench and Furmark running at the same time. These freezes can happen even when the machine is pretty much idle too.

26 Replies
verte95
Adept II

i have the same problem but not so often ;(

0 Likes
gala-actual
Adept I

Did you DDU, in safe mode and with admin privs? Nv drivers are a pain to vanquish

0 Likes

yes and bios update and two seperate PSU cables.

It is likely a driver issue

You can try adjust refresh rates to 60Hz and turn off variable refresh rate feature, disabled AMD FressSync from Radeon Settings.

This ways maybe can solve your problem.

That can't be a fix... Maybe a work around for an issue, reading the patch notes they've fixed some issues, but mine sapphire rx 7900 xtx was running fine until the last two updates, not it's crashes intermittently...  I was plagued by this with my RX590... Had to under clock that to get it stable...

I mean I was to play at  120-144hz, its why we spend so much on monitors isn't it

0 Likes

Maybe a process conflict somewhere in Windows. There aren't any instances of Afterburner running are there? I think I read something about an incompatibility.

0 Likes

My machine was due a reinstall anyway so I just did a full format and reinstalled Windows.

0 Likes
samuueru
Journeyman III

Hi this happened to me one time I think. I was browsing some random web and watching youtube video in the background and all of sudden I head sound being laggy for few sec and then everything was frozen. I tried to turn off screen and turn it back on and it only kept flashing black so I had to manually turn it off with power button I hope its a problem with drivers.

This problem usually can be improved by lowering the refresh rate. you can refer to this article:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/for-rx-7900-series-driver-with-refresh-rates-above-60-hz-may-cause...

0 Likes
paez17
Adept II

i have this problem too. it always happens when using chrome. it happened in win 10 then i switched to win 11 and still continues. 

i will try lower the refresh rate i hope it works. 

Nature416
Journeyman III

Hey everyone.  I had this same problem and I saw this post, so I went and spent about 5 hours troubleshooting and I may have figured out the problem.  I had Adrenalin's Virtual super resolution, Radeon super resolution, and I had it overide the settings of all my games for anti-aliasing, tessallation, and Anisotrphic filerting on so I turned them all off and told it to use the game settings.  The only thing I did not turn off is Freesync.  I went and played Days Gone for 5 hours straight and I didn't freeze once the whole time, and I know for certain that I would have seen the freeze within that amount of time.  I will update this post if I see it with these settings off but for now there are no issues here. I am a long time Nvidia gamer who turned coat and went to team red because of nvidia's greed recently so I don't know how these settings use to behave in the past.

*UPDATE*  I tried numerous games and it's been my weekend from work so i've been gaming non-stop, but not a single freeze in any of them with these settings off.  I hope they get this cleared up in the next driver update.

marcosvpaula
Adept I

Same here, aways when I'm using Edge browser. Waiting for a new driver.

0 Likes

Hi, please reference this post.

Disable Hardware Accelerate in Edge or disable FreeSync (Adaptive-Sync).

[DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION] RX 7900 XTX/XT User if you encounter this BSOD, disable FreeSync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10aumlr/dpc_watchdog_violation_rx_7900_xtxxt_user_if_you/

BiTrAtE
Journeyman III

Same thing, got random freezes and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bsod when I use browser (Google Chrome). When I play games - no problem. It's classic driver problem, shame on AMD, every time problem with drivers on beginning. I will wait for next drivers, If the problem is not solved, I will sell the card and return to Nvidia.

PS: I have AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT 20G GDDR6 (reference gpu)

Hi, please reference this post.

Disable Hardware Accelerate in Chrome or disable FreeSync (Adaptive-Sync).

[DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION] RX 7900 XTX/XT User if you encounter this BSOD, disable FreeSync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10aumlr/dpc_watchdog_violation_rx_7900_xtxxt_user_if_you/

0 Likes

Hello  @Matt_AMD ,

I’m sorry to bother you, want to know if AMD aware this BSOD issue come with 7900 XTX/XT and plan to fix it?

Thank you very much.

0 Likes
marcosvpaula
Adept I

Yesterday I installed the 23.2.1 driver but the issue remains the same.

If I use Edge with hardware acceleration enabled, the system freezes and need to restart pushing the reset button.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Did you trying to disable AMD FreeSync feature in Radeon Panel?

0 Likes

For me it's better disable Edge's hardware acceleration than freesync because I use the computer also to play games using freesync.

But, it's impossible to use Edge without disable it.

I wonder whether AMD know about this issue, that last driver they didn't write about this in "know issues" notes.

Thanks.

0 Likes
wah123
Adept I

Still not fiixed 23.2.2

I don't have any BSOD, it just stutter a bit and freeze the entire system, and i can still hear the bgm of the game that i am playing on albeit stuttery and no interaction is possible, had to restart by holding the power button.

Happen to me when alt tabbing randomly while playing Monster Hunter Rise on Fullscreen (Borderless Windowed has no problem but the game like to set itself back to fullscreen)

Consistently happen by going into option from main menu in atelier rorona

0 Likes
marcosvpaula
Adept I

I'm using 23.3.1 and appears to be solved.

I'm using the Edge hardware acceleration with no problems.

They also mentioned about this issue in the Fixed Issues part.

• Intermittent driver timeout, system freeze or BSOD may be observed using select displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
0 Likes

Still not solved here. Everything is fine under Linux, just not Windows 11

0 Likes
Denbot
Adept II

Looks like the last two drivers have made something a lot worse, my rx7900 xtx started randomly freezing, rolling back to 23.2.1 seems to be 100% stable for me 

0 Likes

So here's the deal

I've figured out that I was getting random freezes not long after loading certain games up like FIFA 23 & Hogwarts, couldn't click anything and had to force my PC to shutdown and try again

However MW2 flawless which is the first game I played on my new upgrade to 7900 XTX, also tried WWE2K23, ran fine apart from some weird Texture issues which have already been posted from my rise

The Culprit was Instant replay being enabled in Adrenaline software, this actually made FIFA 23 & Hogwarts crash lol

All I had to do was Disable it and both games ran fine no crashes

AMD need to test this in future because I actually thought it could of been my PSU but then saw my power draw was fine and nowhere near my limit

B650 AORUS PRO AX, RYZEN 9 7950X3D, SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX, CORSAIR VENGENCE RGB PRO 32GB RAM, CORSAIR RM750x 80 PLUS GOLD 750W
0 Likes
Rockywhu
Adept III

Just thought i'd update that I've had zero crashes since I disabled Instant replay in Hogwarts & FIFA 23

So it seems to be that the Instant replay feature makes certain games freeze up

So if anyone else is experiencing this on the 7900 XTX then just disable instant replay

B650 AORUS PRO AX, RYZEN 9 7950X3D, SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX, CORSAIR VENGENCE RGB PRO 32GB RAM, CORSAIR RM750x 80 PLUS GOLD 750W