cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Z1rili
Adept I

7900 XT Fans won't spin

Having some trouble with my 7900 XT reference model. I've had it for a couple weeks now and haven't had any issues until today. The fans refuse to spin up at ALL. I found this out when I was doing some non-GPU intensive work and the card was reaching 89 degrees.

Zero fan mode is off, I put the custom fan curve to 100% at any temp, and even tried to use MSI Afterburner to override fan speeds, but nothing is working. Adrenalin even says the fan speed is 0 RPM at any temp. 

I've tried a full system restart, DDU wiping the drivers and reinstalling, reseating the card, clearing CMOS, and I've tried different 8 pin cables for the cards power.

I'm at a loss. Nothing has worked, the fans haven't spun at all, but the card seems to function perfectly normal otherwise. What else can I try?

EDIT: I decided to try stress testing the card in MSI Kombustor, and the fans spun for about the first second and then stopped. They now turn on for about a second at a time, at seemingly random intervals. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Found the solution. Somehow, ctrl+shift+o to open the performance overlay entirely solved the problem. The fans are behaving normally, Temps are stable, and fan curve applies properly. I have NO clue how that makes any sense, but that fixed it. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Reset & uninstall any 3rd party oc/fan control apps, reset the AMD tuning. Then try the built in stress test.

Are you using two separate pcie cables from psu to the card (not the one to two split), and the recommended minimum psu wattage?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Yeah, I'm using two separate cables, not a daisy chain. My PSU is 750 watts, it's a Corsair rm750x

0 Likes

Found the solution. Somehow, ctrl+shift+o to open the performance overlay entirely solved the problem. The fans are behaving normally, Temps are stable, and fan curve applies properly. I have NO clue how that makes any sense, but that fixed it.