cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

6950xt Stuttering Problems

Specs:

Hello,

So this is a continuation from my last post and I've had more time to play videogames, and have done more testing with the card. It seems that the issues with stuttering is worse than I initially thought unfortunately. Some of the things I have noticed:

• Stuttering is definitely worse when a game loads (new areas, or when the game starts up)
  • Checking AMD Adrenaline there are usually massive dips in Utilization, clock speed, and power consumption when these spikes occur

I'm thinking that other than a GPU problem this could be a harddrive or PSU problem? I have no idea.

• The PSU seems fine since most of the time there are no dips in the power draw and I don't get any of the other issues with a failing PSU (BSOD, screen flickering, etc).
  • It could be an NVME issue, since the stuttering is when a new area is loading this could be related to shader caches? I'm not super familiar with this stuff so its mostly a guess.

Some more of the games I have tested:

• Borderlands 3 (DX12): This game stutters on new area loads and when certain FX happen such as barrels exploding
  • Borderlands 3 (DX11): Same as DX12 but runs worse
  • PUBG: This game stutters mostly on new areas loading or when the game first starts up
  • 3D Mark: The testing for this runs perfectly fine... No noticeable stuttering during tests
  • CSGO: No stuttering but I get considerably lower framerates then others (about 300 at 1080p)

Things I have done at this point:

• Reinstall windows
  • Enabled/Disabled Game Bar
  • Turn on/off 4G encoding
  • Turn on/off XMP
  • Turn on/off Resizable BAR

I don't know what I'm missing, I never had this much issues with a GPU. If anyone has ANY idea please let me know I'm getting extremely desperate now. I really don't want to start complaining to AMD directly, since this could be related to other components but I never had these issues prior to installing the new GPU.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
8 Replies

Some person with an RX 6900 XT solved his stuttering issues by installing the AMD drivers only and not the Adrenaline Software.

So these cards may have issues with the software and with the drivers only installed, the stuttering issues may be fixed.

Try completely uninstalling AMD adrenaline and reinstall the drivers. In the installation, there is an option to select Drivers only.

See this guide:

https://www.gfisk.com/install-video-driver-only-amd-radeon-graphics-card/

0 Likes

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

0 Likes

Just did this and unfortunately this didn't solve my problem...

0 Likes

Try setting fps limit to unlimited. This helped me tremendously to decrease stuttering in Fortnite with my RX 6900 XT.

0 Likes

Do you have the latest motherboard bios?  Also latest chipset drivers?

0 Likes

I don't know if I have the latest bios or chipset drivers but I can take a look.

I have ASUS PRIME B360M-K motherboard.

I am not very experienced with updating bios but it is worth a shot since my RX 6900 XT is stuttering in Fortnite and I would like to get it fixed.

Maybe the OP also need to update his bios or chipset.

P.S.

After updating my bios and changing to unlimited fps instead of capped, my gaming experience in Fortnite with Epic Settings have become much more stutter free. So updating the bios certainly helped and although it is not perfect, this may be more due to my i5-8600k.

I believe after upgrading to a Ryzen 7000 series CPU, stuttering may be next to non-existent.

0 Likes

Bios and chipset have already been updated on my end. 

0 Likes

Yes, I updated my bios and my chipset drivers.

0 Likes