cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

6950xt Slight Stuttering

Hello, 

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I recently got my 6950xt and noticed that there seems to be stuttering in certain games. The stuttering seems to be the worst at the start (loading a new level, or map) and seems to get better over time. Some games that I have tested since getting the card:

• Borderlands 3: has the worst stuttering by far. Running in DX11 mode runs worse than DX12
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Funnily enough this game seems to run the best...
  • CSGO: Some slight stuttering whenever a map first loads
  • Assassins Creed Odyssey: This game just runs like crap, really low fps sometimes worse than my old 980s... 

I've also seen that my GPU is slightly below average in 3D Mark, but nothing low enough for concern. Currently, the big concern is Borderlands 3 and Assassins creed. I haven't had time testing out too many games unfortunately. I assume the games stutter the most during the start of a level or game due to shaders being created? I'm not super GPU savvy. Any advice would be awesome!

Specs:

Thanks again in advance!

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention I have resizable bar and XMP enabled in bios

0 Likes
7 Replies

Welcome to team red lol. My 6900xt stutters in about half the games I play also. Warzone caldera, vanguard here and there, fortnite is unplayable right now also. Coming from nvidia I can say in my experience owning a amd card is quite annoying. Best things I’ve done to help is play with your wattman settings. Set you min and max frequency within like 100mhz, turn off frame caps on games, adjust vram usage settings for cod games, set your resolution cap in games above your monitors natural resolution to keep the gpu usage high.

Hi

regarding Fortnite - don't use dx11 ! Use dx12 - that works fine and smooth !

0 Likes

@Thomasdk1405 maybe my card needs to be rma’d because fortnite is a stuttering mess for me in both dx11 and dx12. Dx12 is better but still sucks and the pre game lobby is horrendous. My card should be able to max this game out no sweat being a 6900xt.

0 Likes

After putting FPS to unlimited my frame drops decreased significantly in Fortnite. Also, after updating my bios, stuttering went away even more.

My guess is that since I use a rather slow CPU, Intel I5-8600K, this is the reason for the other stuttering I am experiencing. But it is really smooth now compared with before. However, spawn island have always caused frame drops for me.

After upgrading to a Ryzen 7000 series CPU, I am hopeful the frame drops will be gone completely.

0 Likes

@RomatebitegeL My performance is slightly better in the new season, still very annoying stutter frequently but more playable now, my bios is up to date, did not seem to do anything for me. The stutter seems to correlate with my coil wine, when the game stutters it seems like the gpu utilization massively drops coil wine stops and then goes back to normal. If a driver doesn’t resolve my issue before the nvidia 4xxx gen release I’ll probably just sell it sadly and go back to nvidia. Really hoping I don’t have to do that though.

0 Likes
MacArthur
Adept III

hi @ChaddPrinceton 

I have a problem like yours with:

• RX 6900XT average temperature 70c in games (2000RPM)
  • CPU: i9 9900kf Average temperature in 60c games
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390 game with WIFI
  • 2t SSD NVMe (all games are installed)
  • 480 g SSD (for windows)
  • 16x2 ram 3000mhz cl 16
  • Windows 11 64 bit
  • PSU 800w Radeon Software Adrenaline 22.5.2
  • 2k monitor (2560x1440p) 165Hz DP port  

bro you have to turn on Above 4G decoding in bios maybe that can fix your issue you can follow this link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euqK4leViVw

and if you have low GPU use follow :
After a few checks, I realized that older games do not use all the power of a graphics card, for example, I use only 30% of my graphics card in left4Dead 2.
New generation graphics cards seem to achieve 90% performance only with the DX12 and Vulkan.
For example, in Cyberpunk 2077 and my graphics card control is used up to 99%.
There is also the problem of disconnecting and reconnecting the sound in DX11
To fix: Try to increase the resolution scale in the game ( for low GPU use )
Turn off Free Sync and turn on V-sync in games
and turn off any overlay in game

0 Likes

I would experiment with this v-sync vs freesync !

Afaik the v-sync give you more input lag than the freesync - so of the 2 I would go for freesync. Or disable it all and see.

My screen is g-sync so I cannot use VRR and enhanced sync gives me a lot of pauses and freezes. However haven't tried it after the latest 22.5.2 WHQL driver (they fooled me on that one - same as beta just same number). 

I would still opt for the update bios and disable fTPM if there is stuttering - that solved problems for me + only use of AMD chipset drivers !

0 Likes