cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Jeffreyy2
Adept II

6900xt weird artifacts (small green/sometimes white boxes)

so i have had a 6900xt for 6 months now after a couple months it started showing these.... Things at first i thought it might be old nvidia drivers screwing with the amd drivers but now i have reset the pc and only installed amd drivers (non optional) and after a few hours of no problems it started doing it again and i don't know what to do next. also i have tried to screen capture it and it won't show up on screen capture (yes i tried diffrent cables)
pc specs.

mobo:b450-f gaming rev 1

cpu: amd ryzen 9 5900x

ram: 64GB g skill ripjaws 3600mhz cl16(running at 3000mhz)

gpu: amd 6900xt refrence card

ssd: m.2 970 evo x2 raid0

psu: Gigabyte GP-P1000GM 1000W PSU

https://vimeo.com/713496409
https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comments/uj5a19/6900xt_glitching_or_whatever_when_watching_youtube/
i hope someone can help me fix this issue
thanks in advance
Jeffreyy2

1 Solution

turns out it was (probably) the zero-rpm fan mode not cooling the memory enough because i increased my case fans and its gone (for now)

View solution in original post

17 Replies
simplysimon911
Adept III

i cant see your video however  if you have artifacts and its definitely not the cable  you need to return it. I never fixed a gpu that started showing artifacts and they are never a good sign.

does it happen underload..is it ok in windows as a norm. what temps you running in game. use adrenaline software on another screen if you have 2, and hit the performance tab, tuning , and following the temp

weird part is at first it only happened when unlocking windows after sleep and with a couple locks and unlocks win+l it went away
and now generally it only happens when on very light loads for example when i play star citizen with the gpu at 99% all the time no artifacts or anything but when i play league of legends with maybe 10% load i do get them they are also not visible in the video recordings if you make them with adrenalin software.
things i have tried:
sam on/off
ram 1 stick 2 stick 3 stick 4 stick at 2133 mhz instead of 3600
different power cables (not yet tried different psu)
reseating gpu (not yet tried other pcie slot)
alot of different drivers 

i have uploaded the video to vimeo https://vimeo.com/713496409
and i also posted this on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comments/uj5a19/6900xt_glitching_or_whatever_when_watching_youtube/
something i also had but went away after reinstalling windows and after letting windows download all its **bleep** for about 4 hours it came back.

0 Likes

*bump*

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would suggest trying another monitor, and perhaps another Display Port or HDMI cable with that monitor.  It could also be a bad port on the video card, so trying another output from the video card is a good idea too.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

alright right now i just use the displayport cable included with the monitor but i will try to find some more high quality ones but how could this be recorded with amd software if its a cable issue?
https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comments/uj5a19/6900xt_glitching_or_whatever_when_watching_youtube/

the other artifacts the boxes do not appear on any recording tho so maybe the youtube thing is a whole diffrent issue?
thanks for your reply @BigAl01 

0 Likes

also nothing whatsoever happens when doing any stress test (heaven, superposition, built in amd software stress test,etc)
no artifacts no nothing

0 Likes

Untitled.jpg

 i managed to get it on a screenshot now too bad news i suppose?

0 Likes

*bump*

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

With that screenshot, I bet the GPU is going bad.  Either an overheating issue with the video card or simply the GPU is starting to fail.  Still, it's worth exploring all other ideas, such as different drivers or even trying the video card in a different system.  Do you have access to another computer to see if the problem migrates with the video card?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Sadly I do not have access to another pc to test it in but could the power supply be the issue? 

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yes, the power supply is a possibility, if the rail supporting the video card is weak or failing.  Another PSU is worth a try if you have one on hand.

0 Likes

Would the power supply being at fault make sense because it doesn’t happen at all at high utilization/high wattage

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It's not the likely cause, I admit.  But electronics can fail even under minimal load.  Weak components or damaged components (from a voltage spike in the power line for example) can result in random failures.  That's one reason all my good machines (meaning expensive ones) have an UPS between them and the wall socket.

I think the likely cause is the video card failing, but since they are so expensive, it's worth testing the other devices or software drivers before you give up on it.  I assume you have good cooling, but to be sure that's not the cause for the artifacts, take the side cover off and arrange a fan (box fan or similar with lots of airflow) to blow on the video card while you are playing games to see if the artifacts appear randomly again.  If they don't, maybe the video card fans aren't spinning up enough or your case airflow is not sufficient.

0 Likes

I will try a different power supply but if that doesn’t fix it I think I will just RMA it thanks for all your help

turns out it was (probably) the zero-rpm fan mode not cooling the memory enough because i increased my case fans and its gone (for now)

Just for clarity (other people with a similar problem may find this thread), do you mean the main PC memory (RAM) or the video card memory (VRAM)?

Based on what you'd said I'm guessing RAM since you said you bumped up the case fans not the video card fan?

0 Likes

I just assumed the vram but the way you put it makes sense that it could be the ram too

0 Likes