Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rissoxx
Adept I

6900xt random frametime stutters

Hello everyone!

I recently bought my first AMD Graphics card, more precisely the 6900xt Red Devil Ultimate. I have some odd behaviour that I cannot quite solve.

The frametimes does not appear to be quite as solid as I was hoping for. I think I found somewhat of a solution by undervolting the graphics card to 1125, however I cannot go lower without drivers crashing. In games like Dirt2, and BF5 the random stutters are still very much there.

If I put the clock volt to 1125 I seem to get more stable frametimes depending on the game, hovering around 5-8 ms, altough some spikes occur they are way less regularly then before (previously had like atleast 1 spike per minute up to 33 ms, which was really noticable).

After reading a bunch I am not quite sure why this random spike occured at default settings? Is it possible that my PSU could not keep up? What I read is that the 6900xt can have quite high wattage spikes but the computer would have shutdown/bluescreened, if the PSU could not keep up?
When using MSI afterburner I have seen the GPU pull at most like 300-320W, so it seems like 850 should be fine, but perhaps there could be some spikes that go way higher that MSI Afterburner cannot pickup?

Secondly: No matter what I do the graphics drivers crash when I go lower then 1125 volt, even if I lower Max frequenzy to like 2500. I have read quite alot of other people achieving some amazing like 1050 volt. Is this something to worry about? Or just some bad luck on my end?

Any suggestion on how to get rid of frametime stutters would be greatly appreciated. I rather loose a few FPS to gain more stable frametimes.

PC:

* CPU: i7 8700k

* GPU: 6900xt

* Ram: Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Vengeance

* Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z370-A

* PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W

* Driver: Adrenaline 2020 21.8.2

Edit: After some further testing it does not appear to be more stable Frametimes at 1125 volt, it seems like it is completely random when I get stutter. Played for 1 hour now and had reoccuring Frametime stutters atleast 1 time per minute, sometimes more. So for some reason it was more stable when I had just set it to 1125 volt, but now its back to how it was at stock. Really upsetting how my previous 1080TI, had way more stable frametimes and no stutters.

34 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Try setting the minimum clock frequency 100Mhz below the maximum clock frequency in Radeon Software > Tuning. 

Your CPU will also be limiting your performance so this could also be causing your issue.

The 6900 XT is significantly faster than the 1080 TI and it needs a fast CPU (Ryzen 5000 series is a perfect fit) to achieve optimal performance.

Hello

I have Ryzen 9 5900x and AMD 6800 XT and my brother has laptop Ryzen 9 5900H and 6800M so it is not about your cpu. 

We both have issues with BF5 specifically, On 6800 XT game stutters in DX12 constantly non stop and DX11 Fram rate is low with heavy FPS drop and my brother on 6800M has smother fps but game keep crashing every hour and sometimes with black screen

My solution to delete the game because the issue is from game it self because it is heavy spoonser by Nvidia. GMAE and AMD don't want to solve the issues since release date And that's why I am holding on pre-ordering new Battlefield till I test the game on Beta. 

About setting your minimum frequency 100 below the maximum frequency : first I tried that before and did not work in BF5, secondly that caused VR games to stutter drop fps  so setting 100 mhz differanc is not good in my case and why can't AMD drivers do the job in default settings? 

Thanks for the response!

When I first got the card I noticed that it was more or less unplayable because there were microstutters occuring all the time. After some googling I found that it had helped to put minimum clock frequency around 100Mhz lower then maximum clock. So I did and alot of the constant stutters went away, but not everything, randomly there will be a big spike up to like 30 ms which is very disturbing for such an expensive card.

Yeah my CPU is not particularly new. Although when monitoring its usage it does not seem like it ever reaches 100%, it goes up to like 70-80%. But maybe it could still be the cause of the random stutters?

Does that remaining one big stutter happen in BFV Singleplayer? If no, then perhaps it is due to the CPU, or perhaps it is internet/latency based stutter from playing online with other players. Multi player puts a lot more demand on the CPU the having a powerful CPU with lots of cores will help alleviate that somewhat. 

Spikes in red are when playing BFV singleplayerSpikes in red are when playing BFV singleplayer

Just played some BFV Singleplayer and can confirm that the stutter is still there. Could verify that sometimes the cpu usage goes up to just beneath 90%, although I am not seeing anything higher then that.

That is indeed very high for only single player to see almost 90% CPU usage.

Just played some Rocket League since it is less CPU intensive game, and the computer crashed with a Green screen, this has never happened before. Now I am alittle worried that the card is damaged?
Either way after the crash I got an AMD message that Wattman had reset the settings in AMD Radeon software, this removed the stock overclock that I had experimented with on and off to see if it changed anything.

Played a game of Rocket League at default AMD Radeon settings, except increasing minimum frequency to 100 Mhz lower then maximum. Still some stutters, but need to test some more. CPU usage in rocket league was quite low, around 20-30%.frametime2_LI.jpg

Have you tried a selective start-up in case you have some background apps causing an issue with your gaming?
To reboot in a selective startup:

Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, enter MSCONFIG and click OK.

Under the General tab, click "Normal startup" if it is not selected already.

Under the Services tab, put a check on "Hide All Microsoft Services" and then click "Disable All."

Under the Startup tab, these will still be disabled in Windows 10 in the Task Manager.

Click OK on the MSCONFIG window, and then click Restart when prompted.

Did a selective start-up but were still having random stutters.

Should I be worried about the computer hang and monitor turning Green? Is that a sign of a bad GPU?

Did you have a browser running at the time when it happened?

No I did not have any browser running when that occured.

I suspect your GPU was not completely stable at the voltage settings you were using. Most likely a less demanding game introduced some instability in your undervolt settings.

Hi.If you see my message, can you give me a reply.I consulted a lot of literature and finally summed up some conclusions.To be honest, this may be the problem of AMD driver, but the bigger problem lies in the hardware level.RDNA2 uses a new shader cache technology.Unlike the traditional shader technology, this technology doesn't need a lot of shader content to be repeatedly written and read into the video memory.To be honest, this technology is very good, and it greatly improves the existing bandwidth similarly.Let this 6800xt compete with 3080.But this caching technology is provided on the basis of GPU chip.Each 64M cache is added on both sides to place the shader cache in the game.When we load the game, the shader cache is usually called directly, rather than generated during the game.For games like TTF2, I can say for sure that the shader cache is preheated immediately after the game is loaded.There are many other games like WWZ and dark souls3.However, many games have problems at the beginning of design, but I feel that the bigger reason for this part of the problems lies in AMD. Witcher 3 just failed to transfer the shader cache into the infinite cache of GPU when loading the game.The same is true of some maps when BF11 is on Dx11.When we are playing fps games, it is really annoying to get stuck due to shader cache, because shader cache is not in infinite cache but read from hard disk or memory.That's why stuttering is caused.This technology is really great, but it still has a lot of room for optimization. Now AMD's biggest problem is how to fix these amazing stutters.

0 Likes

I also had problems with the Witcher 3, completely deleted the game and reinstalled it, it seems to work normally, try reinstalling the games in which there is a problem, if the chat of video cards drops to 50 MHz, for a short time, you have 2 bios on the video card quiet and productive, there is a toggle switch on the video card (but you need to switch it on a turned-off PC) Try to switch, play and bring it back again (I repeat only when the PC is turned off) on my video card, the tumbler has 3 positions (quiet, productive and using the switching utility)

0 Likes

Hey, buddy.

Thank you very much for your reply,But I have to admit that this is indeed the problem of AMD graphics card.It may appear on the hardware level or on the driver.AMD's voltage-frequency curve is a straight line.When the voltage cuts the earth, it will have an instantaneous frequency reduction. I don't know if this is the cause of stuttering.I really like AMD products, but I had to replace my 6800xt with 3080.This stuttering disappears instantly, and any game is as smooth as butter.I'm sure it's AMD's problem, but they haven't paid attention to the seriousness.I feel terrible, too.My computer should have been all AMD products.This kind of stuttering makes me desperate, and I hope AMD can fix these mistakes next.I'm not happy that AMD platform uses non-AMD graphics card, but I have to do it.

0 Likes

Hi

as mentioned previously stuttering can be lots of reasons. Of course there could be slight chance of faulty card but doubt that. I've been in same spot as you - totally puzzled why my card was unable to fly like others say it can - why al this stuttering. I will break it down again..

Install latest WHQL driver and not beta - just to rule out anything

Disable SAM (above 4g decoding and BAR - found in bios).

Pick game profile esports and disable everything in first row - so no antilag, no sharpning and vsync off

Next row - disable freesync (do not use amd optimized) if you have monitor NOT certified freesync (I had gsync).

Battlefield series use documents folder - shame on them - but if you use onedrive - make absolutely sure that this folder is NOT synced to cloud - that will seriously put burden on your cpu.

Your pagefiile should be large enough to cover the games and normal windows operation - I have it at let windows handle it. Too low game will crash - too high - you might have too much data swapping here.

Windows game mode - on / off - change and see - currently I have my computer set at on.

Again I had crap performance at one point in time - 80-90 fps on ultra 1440p in BF 5 - now I can max it at 200 on ultra on some maps - have it cap'ed at 144 since monitor is 144 hz.

My guess is you have a settings problem. And now it works perfect with nvidia - ok - do you have a gsync monitor ? If so you could have a sync problem between amd card and your monitor.

Power wise - you do use 3 separate cables from your PSU right ? Do not use the extra cable - that card is power hungry so use each cable at the PSU outlet.

Also BF 1 and 5 was invented / created with nvidia cards in mind - reason why other games like control, resident evil the village runs perfect on amd.

0 Likes

I still have this problem until now.My graphics card is 6800xtThe central processor is 5600X II play a lot of games, but I find this problem in many fps games.But are there any problems with many gamesThe caton caused by the frame generation time drives me crazy.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Been doing a bit more research and it seems like BFV can stutter a bit in DX12 due to the shaders loading in for the first 20 minutes or so. Please see the YouTube comments here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It082slSzZs&lc=Ugz08wdeo19cyIo5ygx4AaABAg.9SuF5ceVvR59SuQgBDOMS4

I am aware of the BFV issues regarding DX12, and I am not using it. However I have tried enabling it simply to see if it made any difference but it did not, DX12 implementation in BFV is indeed bad.

So far what has helped the most is.
- Set minium Frequency to 100-150 Mhz lower then maximum frequency.
- Disable "Radeon Anti-Lag" in the radeon software.

However this has not comletely terminated the stuttering, however made the more consistent stutters go away, those that would happen withing seconds of eachother. However during gameplay of BF5, Dirt2, Rocket league, CS GO, Cod Modern warfare/warzone. Should be noted that the current stutter is happening roughly around 1 time between 1-3 minutes. Sometimes more or less depending on the game. Cannot see any relation to CPU/GPU utilization when the stutter occurs, so I cannot correlate it to anything.

Look at these pictures. This is the frame time of two games in the game.

-9697cdd2a210088.png

2dd1f2676dcc7f2f.png

I don't know if this kind of problem indicates that there is something wrong with my hardware, but in some games, my card performs very well without any stuttering.Does this mean that DICE is the problem?These two games use similar game engines.But I'm sure there must be something wrong with the driver or game optimization.So at least please do something.

Geforsikus_2021
Challenger

Hi, how does the video card behave, I mean the frequency during the frame drop, the frequency of the video card does not drop for a short time, for example 2500mhz literally for a fraction of a second 50 and again 2500mhz? in msi afterburner, try to disable the central processor from monitoring, or rather each processor core, so that the processor as a whole is monitored, and not each core individually (the cores are indicated by numbers from 1 to 12, including virtual ones), but you need to specify without a digit. What I'm saying is that monitoring itself gives lags in the game, I had this with the Witcher 3 game, disabled each core from monitoring and the lags disappeared, you can also disable the antivirus (real-time protection) that is built into windows, during the test in the game, I also highly recommend when you start the game, no matter what, minimize it, go to the task manager: details tab, find the process with the game there with the right mouse button to set the similarity and remove the glock from CPU 0, there will be fewer lags, all drivers from the system hang on the first core. Sorry for the English translator helps -_-

Thank you very much for your help. My problem is exactly the same as yours. The frequency of GPU drops instantly and then rises again in an instant. If it is really MSI Afterbunner's problem, I should really try your way. I have been playing Wizard3 recently, but Wizard3 is because it is necessary to preheat shader cache, and he is very interested in opening DX11. Similarly, after a period of time, he will stop stuttering. After about two days, this stuttering will disappear, but I am in BF1. Thank you very much for your help. Again, I will give you an answer after a while.

-71448d986fa6a621.png

Hi

Stuttering can be many things gpu or cpu stutering. Regarding dice and BF1 and 5 do not use dx 12 - that is bad performance and stutter hell. DX 11 and future frame on or off - but not dx 12 !

Dice make use of documents folder so check if you have onedrive installed and sync of documents folder - coz that would give bad performance do not sync BF folders.

Resize BAR - on or off ? If on turn that off !

Monitor - g-sync or freesync ? If g-sync make sure to use some of the presets game or esports and dont turn all off. My best exp. is with game / esports and make sure amd optimized is on (I have g-sync). That runs butter smooth. No stutter at all !

Also remember you now have super card - meaning bottleneck is now the cpu - so dont expect 99% gpu util if cpu cannot catch up. 

My scenario was SAM on and g-sync monitor and bad sync between card and monitor. Now I run 200 fps ultra on BF 5 and 90-115 ultra on BF 2042 - no stutter - no nothing - just runs perfect !

Hey, buddy.Thank you for your answer.I might try your method.But I'm sure the problem isn't my hardware.In other games, they performed very well. At that time, the 5600X I used stuttered. I felt that it was the bottleneck of the CPU, but when I locked it at 60FPS, the stuttering remained.Just yesterday, I changed into 5900X, which cost me a lot of money, but the problem remained.I do use onedrive.I'll try your method and then wash it. Thank you.

I'm sorry, my problem has not been solved. I found that the frame number and occupancy of BF1 on 3070 was always high and stable But on my 6800xt, his frequency fluctuates greatly and the number of frames is not high. I have tried many methods.But shutting down SAM and uninstalling onedrive doesn't work for me.And it's strange. He pointed out that now in the game of frost engineAt this time, it means DICE's problem or AMD's problemWhen I was playing BF1, he really only had a very small jam, which made me very upset, the picture was obviously not smooth, and I stuttered from time to time.

-225dc2402599cb69.png

You can actually check your BIOS settings whether something there is hindering the performance or not. This happened to me and when I checked into my BIOS, the performance mode was set at "Intelligent cooling". I changed it to "Extreme performance" and it worked. Now, I don't have any stutters or anything like that. Also you can check in your power management console whether it is set to this settings or not. If not, then do these settings and just restart your PC for the changes to take effect. 

THAT 99% IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OF EVERYTHING. DON'T MAXIMIZE TO 100%, ALWAYS KEEP IT AT 99THAT 99% IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OF EVERYTHING. DON'T MAXIMIZE TO 100%, ALWAYS KEEP IT AT 99

NEVER MAXIMIZE TO 100%, IT'LL CAUSE STUTTERS. IF YOU HAVE MAXIMIZED IT TO 100%, THEN TUNE IT DOWN TO 99% AND THAT'S IT. 

Just in case, for your curiosity, yes, I use a laptop with a Ryzen 7 5700U and a Vega 8 along with a 16GB RAM. After applying these, I got a massive boost in my performance. I can now play Forza Horizon 5 with Ultra textures and some settings at medium and some settings at high with 30 FPS locked.  

Applying the above settings should fix your problem!

Hi, thanks for your reply, brother.But I'm sorry to tell you that even though my computer installed the latest March chipset driver.I don't see AMD's power plan in the power options.Searched some posts on the Internet.Zen3 doesn't have AMD power plan, which makes me unable to start.But I will try your method to set the maximum power state of CPU to 99%.Thank you.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, the problem has not been solved. I guess this is AMD's effort to save our electricity.But we don't want to save electricity. I just want a stable number of game frames.This is all caused by the error of the graphics card driver in identifying the load, and they haven't fixed it for so long....

hello!

I had the same issues and here is how i fixed it

open amd control panel

greetz

performance

tuning

enable gpu tuning 

enable advanced control

change min frequency (MHz) to 1001 or more, you can actually try 510 or 550 too, actually what works for you 

apply changes in the right corner above

only that helped me to fix my micro/frametime stutters

0 Likes

change min frequency (MHz) to the maximum to the right ! That what works for me wonders :)))))

after you apply it it sets automatically to 2500 at least by me and I’m so happy it works ! I tried everything but only that works 

have fun

0 Likes
hanke
Adept I

hello!

I had the same issues and here is how i fixed it

open amd control panel

greetz

performance

tuning

enable gpu tuning 

enable advanced control

change min frequency (MHz) to 1001 or more, you can actually try 510 or 550 too, actually what works for you 

apply changes in the right corner above

only that helped me to fix my micro/frametime stutters

0 Likes

change min frequency (MHz) to the maximum to the right ! That what works for me wonders :)))))

after you apply it it sets automatically to 2500 at least by me and I’m so happy it works ! I tried everything but only that works 

have fun

0 Likes
hanke
Adept I

Hello guys, I tried everything like from morepowertool, disable ulps, changing adrenalin settings and reinstall/deinstall adrenalin/chipset driver and so many other things and nothing helped, but finally I found the problem! It was in the bios settings of my msi b550 gaming plus motherboard, press F7 or click on advanced in the top and go into overclocking\advanced cpu configuration\amd cbs and disable global c-state control, this crap caused so many problems for me like dips in fps stutters lags and so on, also you can go into device manager\system devices\high precision event timer\ right click\disable device. And you can run your minimum frequenz (Mhz) clock 100 lower than your max frequenz (Mhz) clock in the adrenalin settings. I tested elden ring 60 fps drops to 34 fps and so on, gpu load dropped to 0%. With that disabled elden ring runs perfect at 60 fps and my gpu load dont fall into 0% anymore, sure elden ring drops sometimes to 59 fps or could drop a little bit below in some scenes but thats normal! My cpu load is now by 30-60%, before it was by 4%. I hope i could help you with that.

0 Likes