cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Skrybe
Challenger

6900XT Grey (gray) Screen

This issue is quite similar to what people reported in this thread: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/amd-5700xt-crashing-grey-screen-with-blue-lines/m-p/439422

So in the last couple weeks I've had three grey screens with blue lines while using my Asrock 6900XT. In one case I had been in WoW and alt-tabbed to do something. When I closed the other window and WoW regained focus it grey screened. In the latest (today) I hadn't been doing any gaming. Just had two windows explorer windows open moving files from one to the other. Went to drag files from one window and before I could even move the mouse to the second it grey screened. The third time I don't recall exactly what I was doing, I know I was playing WoW but I don't remember if I'd alt-tabbed or done something other than game.

In none of the cases was there high CPU or GPU load, temps were fine and power draw was relatively low. First two crashes were 22.7.1 drivers and todays was with 22.8.1. Enhanced sync was probably enabled (should have been off but it's on for some reason). Of interest, when the driver grey screened the PC stopped responding and even hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't seem to do anything. The first time I reset the PC, the second and third times I waited longer. In those two cases after waiting roughly a minute the crash detector kicked in and the video driver restarted. WoW was still working, explorer and firefox were still working but both Thunderbird and Corsair ICue were non-responsive and had to be killed in task manager.

ICue displayed an error message which unfortunately I didn't capture that mentioned OpenGL context. So I'm wondering if there is some sort of conflict between ICue and AMD? Or maybe the display driver dying just kills whatever ICue relies on and it doesn't pickup the restarted driver? ICue was at 4.27.168 for latest grey screen and 4.26.110 for the previous two. The three crashes coincide with updating both ICue and AMD drivers. Since I'd done both when 22.7.1 came out and again yesterday (up to 22.8.1 and 4.27.168 respectively).

Hardware wise, I'm running two screens a Dell S3221QS (32 inch 4k 60Hz) and an MSI MPG321UR-QD (32 inch 4k 144hz but set to 120Hz in display properties). The MSI is primary and it's what grey screened. The display on the Dell remained "normal" though nothing was responsive until the video driver restarted. Windows 10 64Bit with latest updates. Asus CH8 DarkHero with latest bios, Ryzen 7 5800x, 64GB Kingston DDR4, multiple drives - boot is a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME. PSU is a Corsair AX760i.

Have had this setup for awhile now and aside from issues that were resolved by turning off TPM in the mobo bios it's been stable. It seems unlikely to be PSU related since it's happened while doing a file copy where CPU, GPU and PSU load was minimal. If every grey screen was while under heavy load it'd be a possibility. Likewise temps don't seem likely since GPU was about 36C and CPU was about 31C.

Any thoughts? I'm considering rolling back drivers. To 4.25 for Corsair and 22.6.1 for AMD but I'm not sure that's going to help.

edit: Make that four times, just did it again while moving files. This time it didn't kill Thunderbird or ICue. Maybe because they were both minimized whereas previous time they were both visible on my second monitor?

112 Replies
sur6e
Elite

BF2042 also gray screened when i alt tabbed, no browser with video playing, just trying to get on discord.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]
0 Likes
xixou
Adept I

Cannot reasonanly buy a 7900xtx is this happen ..

0 Likes
xixou
Adept I

Hi,

This is maybe a coincidence, but since I have set the power limit to -10% in Adrenalin software,

I did not get a freeze anymore using amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.11.2-win10-win11-dec1 ...

Can you try to reduce the power limit at your side to see if that helps too?

I use a 6800XT from ASUS (AIO watercooled) with Vbios 020.001.000.042.000000

0 Likes
xixou
Adept I

That was a coincidence,

as soon as I turned on my second screen (Samsung 144 Hz),

I've got a grey screen on My primary Samung G7 244 Hz.

So it seems that the bug triggers pretty quick on dual screen configuration (2 display port cables).

I will go back to whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.5.1-win10-win11-may10

0 Likes
papajohick
Journeyman III

So interesting enough… I haven’t had one in 3 days and that’s with hooking up my second monitor again. 

I was having issues with getting smart memory to be enabled (couldn’t find it) so I went ahead and updated the bios just in case (even though it was f32 which is whats needed to enable it). Moved to f36 I believe. Multiple positives from it. 

was able to 

enable resize bar

my computer randomly acknowledged my windows 10 key (it had reported it as being used and not viable the past 2 months) and allowed me to update to windows 11

anddd I haven’t had a grey screen since. 

it’s also running very smooth in my games and editing software. Adrenaline driver is the most recent one that came out a week or two ago. 

0 Likes

Latest driver notes said they fixed it. It happens less often. And when it does happen the driver is now able to recover and restart immediately after the crash and it’s barely noticeable. Before the recovery was not possible. And there very few cases of grey screen now. 

0 Likes
sur6e
Elite

I still get them easy and they don't recover anymore and even reset the computer. I turned off MPO and it's a lot better. With it on it's terrible.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]
0 Likes
wdcossey
Adept I

Using the latest driver (22.11.2) it still crashes to a grey screen, not sure if it happens less frequently, definitely still happens.

1. I have noticed that it typically happens when Edge (Chromium) is open.
  2. Also seems to cause Discord (Electron App [again Chromium]) to have rendering issues.
  3. Not sure if it causes crashes/rendering issues w/ any other Election (Chromium) app (i.e. VSCode, GitKrraken, GitHub Desktop, etc), haven't tried yet.

Seems (to me) that most issues are related to Chromium and it's not specifically MS Edge.

xixou
Adept I

Hi,

I'm trying this at the moment together with latest drivers, let's see how it goes.

So far so good:

key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm,

create DWORD OverlayTestMode with value 00000005

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

In addition to installing 22.11.2 and disabling MPO try just using the DP ports and not the usb c port.  I run two ultrawides and the black screens were driving me crazy.  Someone who was also having this issue told me that they switched off the usb c port back to a DP port and it stopped on their machine.

I initially went to the c port because of the black screens but never went back to the DP port after the driver update so I switched back yesterday and it hasn't happened again.  I'm hoping that does it as this aib 6900 xt is fast enough for my needs but if it acts up again I'm buying  a 4090 and never coming back to an AMD gpu.

Same can be said for their CPU's as I'm in the process of coming off X570 and when my mb arrives next week I'll be moving to Z790 with a 13900k because of the poor support on issues like USB shutdowns and fTPM stuttering with lousy AGESA updates.

Edit:  My 2nd monitor just went black again....and as soon as I can find a msrp 4090 I'm putting this xfx speedster up for sale.

0 Likes

You can fix the ftpm issue with a hardware module. it is like 15 dollars. Definitely worth the pain of selling the existing setup, buy a new one, install shenanigans.

I use one and it works.

0 Likes

I agree about the 4090, I'm running a 4080 right now and it's great.  As much as I hate the lack of driver support for the graphics cards here, I do have a new AM5 system with a 7700X and it's been perfectly stable.  I was going to do the same as you but then got over my frustration and went with the new AM5 platform for future upgrades including the 3d processors.  I'm not looking at this gen though, maybe next. The Intel platform is good, but done. Nowhere to go with it but upgrade the entire system for next gen..

0 Likes
APmech
Adept II

Happened again!  Not fixed.  240hz issue is still there. This has been broken since around April/May AMD!

0 Likes
auron98x23
Journeyman III

same here!,

Sometimes happen to my 6800xt... 

Have you fixed the problem?

0 Likes
Akuma_Kenji
Journeyman III

It sounds to me like a driver timeout, I am using XFX Speedster MERC319 RX 6900XT Black and same issue. Grey screen, after a while everything is coming back with driver crash report and Adrenalin told me "Wattman something else has been restored" Well this presists for many years (Thx AMD) and I've tested so many things to solve it.

The only one solution which worked for me was disabling multi plane overlay. You can google how to do that or here is how I did: Registery --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm, create DWORD OverlayTestMode with value 00000005. This worked for me and many other users, but still...do this to your own risk.

I don't know what it does exactly or what's the job ob MPO, I just can tell this solved my driver crashes and grey screen. My brother has the same GPU and same issues, solved for him too.

AMD has to work on this issue, because it's a real enjoyment killer! Just disappointed....

0 Likes

any product where I have to go into and edit registry keys just to get a product to work as it should is automatically disqualified from me wanting to own it.  I sent my 6950XT back when it was obvious AMD doesn't care.   On team green now with a 4080 and wouldn't you know it, it just works and works really well.  Lessons learned and some things will never ever change with AMD

xixou
Adept I

I confirm value 5 works for me to so far.

If AMD could have a look at and reply once at least ..

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Friday night I swapped out my X570-5950x and in went a MSI MEG Z790 ACE with i9 13900k and ever since my AIB 6900 XT has not dropped my second screen not once...not even a flicker and I did not disable MPO on this clean install of W11 pro build 22623.1037 so take it FWIW.

Now I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to just go ahead and get a RTX 4090 just so I don't have to worry about this issue returning. 

I'm so disgusted with AMD over their poor driver support all across the board that it will be a very long time before I consider using  their hardware again.  I don't care how much cheaper their gpu's are compared to NVidia as I've had so many issues with them that its a non starter.

0 Likes

I just stumbled upon This thread

it seems is more related to MS and MPO and it botched Nvidia and AMD alike in special cases.
the truth is people owning high end GPUs are more likely to own 10 bit high refresh panels as the main monitor and another lower 8 bit panel as second.

I think for now disabling MPO will solve all issues for everyone. Nvidia acknowledged this problem for some time already and probably tweaked the drivers accordingly. 

0 Likes

Yeah I have MPO off and don't really have any more issues with the latest drivers. My monitor is 240Hz and 10 bit color with an 8 bit second lower refresh. If I turn MPO on again I'll have issues in no time. Hope MS and AMD can work together to solve that and let us know through patch notes.

Well it showed back up and I disabled MPO and that didn't make a difference so I'm tolerating the disappearing signal for the moment.  Its not browser related as it happens irrespective of whether or not a browser is in use nor is it game related and many times no games are running when it happens.

After seeing prices near $2k after tax for a mid pack 4090 I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on one and I'm finding them in stock on a regular basis.  If I can get the right combo I'll probably go ahead and do it.

0 Likes

I get it. Just remember Nvidia had some issues with MPO too albeit just flickering screens I believe. Nvidia provided that .reg file for people to run to disable MPO. MPO is a Microsoft tech so the issue may be more in their court or at least depend on them some, but I'm sure Nvidia makes their stuff compatible faster than AMD is capable of. If your issue seems unrelated to MPO then that's a whole nother thang.

I am stable with MPO off on the latest. Stable on 22.5.1 with MPO on. We shouldn't have to do this much fighting with it to find that out, but that's the state of things for those with troubles I guess. Totally understand wanting to jump ship though. I've gone back and forth on it.

0 Likes
Cyberware
Adept I

I am using an rx 6900 with a Samsung g7  and this workaround is working for me: 
I switched the refresh rate in windows from 240Hz to 120Hz. (Probably 145Hz is working, too?)

• Navigate to display settings (right-click on your desktop)
  • Select advanced settings
  • Select a lower refresh rate

Hopefully, it helps and feel free to share this information with others. 

But in the end, AMD have to deliver a solution. 

0 Likes
Skrybe
Challenger

Wanted to do an update (and I'll update original post as well). I've been running 22.12.2 since it came out and had zero grey screens or noticeable issues. And that includes running the PC with powering down, or even rebooting windows for two weeks at a time.

Can't comment on other people's build but for me this driver seems to have resolved the grey screen problem.

0 Likes

22.12.2 is 7000 series only. They have not released anything for 6000 series, latest version is 22.11.2 and still happening, but they are better at handling the error and restarting the driver, sometimes you are not aware is happening unless you check the notification bell ...

As a fan, owner and shareholder I am totally disappointed.

0 Likes

That was a typo, it should have said 22.11.2. But the rest of my statement holds. Since I installed that driver my PC has not grey screened or crashed at all. It's run non-stop the whole time with only three shutdowns, all deliberate. So at least on my particular combination of hardware it's working fine.

0 Likes
light1231
Journeyman III

Samsung Odyssey G7 32"
I've had a 6800XT since it was released along with the monitor

Exact driver crash / grey screen with hardware acceleration enabled when in browser, had it since I bought it. Turning off HW Accel is not an option for me due to my job.

The annoying thing is I've gone through like 8 major driver updates (currently v23.3.1) and it still isn't fixed. I spotted this thread a while ago but decided to wait out a driver fix, but it doesn't feel like it's coming.

Anyone got any guesses as to why MPO is mechanically related to this at all? Feels a little like a red herring but I'll give it a shot.

If that doesn't work, or one of the next drivers, my 20+ years of owning only AMD gpus will come to an end and I'll be buying the next nvidia flagship card.

0 Likes

I don't know the reason exactly but it works. It's some Microsoft tech to do with rendering things that overlay on top of other things or something in that direction. I get the feeling that you miiight get 1 more gray screen after setting it, but then it's done. Not sure. Could just be in my head. I am on 23.2.2 at the moment and removed the reg entry a day or two ago. I wanted to see if things are better. So far it's fine but too early to say.

0 Likes

I did just upgrade to a 5800x3d as well so I also wondered if that affected the equation.

0 Likes

Hi, Maybe is a freesync issue... I downloaded CRU utility and change the range for vertical rate to 56-144.

My HW is 6900XT with a 4k G7 28''

You can try reading this link ---> https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/grey-screen-freeze-when-running-4k-monitor-with-dsc-and-f...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

are you doing hardware accelleration in edge browser in the settings performance and system tab in settings? or is it an option in edge://flags ?

Or did you make a text file rename it config.ini or use the registry in windows with a new expandable string key and use words like H/W or HardwaremodeTrue or /HW or the words HARDWAREACCELERATION or did you use words like HARDWAREVIDEODECODING DXVA2 AVX AV2 HEVC H266 AMF VisualLibrary DirectML (medialibrary) cinema4D and 3Dnow and Direct3D11 or direct3D12 renderer or VULKANRENDERER and RENDERDIRECTLYTOOUTPUT while using an physicallybasedcrosshatchstringstrandRNADNAhybridrealityZENuniverseEMULATIONINFINITYDIMENSIONALEMULATION i recommend vulkan renderer so it games the same on android or linux or mac. the default software faked computer no hardware nvidia outputs are windows 7 Video Media Renderer VMR .. but you want D3D11 renderer or download install madshis VR renderer or use VULKANRENDERER and FFDShow or the microsoft mediafoundation video codecs. where possible always use the licenced HEVC $1 codec from the microsoft app store for playback and use something EDGE BROWSER since its chrome nightly builds integrated to windows the way android auto is part of a car and your phone theres no reason to ever use chrome because the edge browser with the two tone E is chrome with a reskin and file explorer OS integration plus its multimedia capability is better than chrome. If you must use a kodi.tv or daum potplayer configured correctly. you can enable freesync in a text file or registry too but you need adrenaline drivers installed to enable ENHANCED SYNC for vsync for video playback. you should also be using specific 24fps or 60 or 120hz gaming at 100hz or 90hz or 144hz may not be the freesync setting your display was hardware built for as most games and movie content are optimized for 60 to 120hz and FILMS are 24fps.

set your refresh rate correctly use the correct HDMI cables just get the fastest 8k HDMI 2.1 consider disabling HDCP in display overrides. it can make audio and video sound better by eliminating LAG. your HDMI SCALING might be set wrong too. 

dont randomly change your vertical rate range.. displays are hardware optimized for say 60 or 90hz or 120hz for freesync.. changing it may result in suboptimal performance. Also that vertical rate stuff and upscaling is nvidia **bleep**s pretending they didnt sell you a vertically cut in half monitor and are trying to software put the top half of the monitor back.. they call those twice the price for literally cut in half monitor a 144hz gaming monitor. And whenever you use those displays if you talking about gaming in 1080p you select 720 from the menus.. if you say 4k you mean 1440p not 4k.. its literally half the monitor its missing the top half fools! try notching your resolution down a notch if you've got a cut in half ultrawide load of monitor.

0 Likes
kikekoko
Journeyman III

Hi, Maybe is a freesync issue... I downloaded CRU utility and change the range for vertical rate to 56-144.

My HW is 6900XT with a 4k G7 28''

You can try reading this link ---> https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/grey-screen-freeze-when-running-4k-monitor-with-dsc-and-f...

0 Likes