cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Realjo
Journeyman III

Re: 6900XT causing PC to reboot while gaming

Hi everyone, I have the same problem here but with an Asus TUF 6800xt. So while playing Remnant my screen will turn black and restart the system. It can happens after only a few seconds to up to an hour.  I then have to press the power button to have my system back, a simple reset won’t work.  So here is my system:

Mobo: Asus TUF X570 WiFi with latest bios (4021)

Ram: 16Gb Gskill Trident(3600)16gb and 16gb Corsair Vengeance (3600)

GPU: Asus TUF 6800Xt

CPU: Amd 5800X

Windows 10 Pro latest build fully updated

Keep in mind that before putting an 6800xt about a few months ago in the above system, I had an 1080Ti with zero issue. So here what I did to test the stability of the system:

-   Prime 95 about 8hrs no issue

- OCCT(Cpu stress test) 8hrs no issue

- Time Spy stress test no issue

- Unigine Superposition stress test 4 hrs no issue

- Furmark 2hrs no issu

- Window Ram test no issue

Now the first thing that I tested was to use only one memory brand at a time. I even underclocked them to 3200 instead of 3600 but same problem.  Clean drivers installation with DDU, same problem. Changed my Seasonic 850W gold to an EVGA 1000W gold, same problem. Plugged my GPU with two distinct cables instead of a split one as suggested, same problem.  Used different Amd drivers and also updated to the latest one(21.9.1), same problem. SAM on or Off, didn’t make any difference, same problem.  I also tried to manually install the driver without the Amd Software, same problem.

I used Amd overlay to monitor the GPU. So here what I noticed while playing. In demanding part of the game where the wattage will get high the system will/could crash. It seems that a sudden spike in wattage can cause the system to crash.

I have stressed test the GPU with many software with zero issues.  In Furmark for example it will draw up to 300W and the junction Temp will reach a temp of 92C. But then again, when playing games I will rarely reach that power draw nor that I would reach those temps, but wattage will greatly fluctuate.  The fact that the power draw is stable in stress tests may explain why I don’t crash.   

For example when I play Soul Calibur 6, I will never crash because the game locks the FPS to 60 and the game will rarely draw more than 100W. But in Remant with uncapped FPS my GPU wattage could go anywhere from 100W to 280W. I believe that some odd wattage spike may cause my system to crash.

So what I did to be able to play Remant was to underclock my max frequency from 2339 to 1900 to limit the power draw. By doing this, zero problem, no more crashes.  I’m reluctant to RMA my card because I don’t think it will fix the problem and it doesn’t seem to be a hardware issue. As stated I have zero issue while stress testing. I’m not sure it it’s a drivers, bios or firmware thing but it needs  to be fixed otherwise  I may have to sell my 6800xt and to replace it with an RTX 3080.

0 Likes
primelink
Adept I

I too had Upgraded from the 2080 Super to a AMD RX 6800 XT and had crashing the solution I found was to clock the GPU appropriately. Someone posted "Select overclock GPU and write down that settings" That is what broke for me because the auto over clock set mine to 2440 but the Manufacture said max clock with +200MHz so 2250. When I locked my Max to that I get no Crashes. I use to get constant (but random) driver timeouts or Driver has disconnected (D3D) regardless of game. I did the PSU upgrade, I did the Memory Upgrade. I had no (noticeable) FPS loss in my games.     

GamingGamingDesktopDesktop

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Realjo
Journeyman III

To primelink:

Interesting, but your are well within specs with a max clock of 2250. I have to drop mine from the default Asus OC 2300 to 1900 to be stable, which is huge. Funny thing is I have stress tested the card with all kind of software for several hours, no issues. This seems to be a driver issue in some games.  I don't know what to think anymore. I can still play games with this card until the price of an 3080 drop. 

0 Likes
Realjo
Journeyman III

After weeks of testing, I finally found a solution. In "power tuning" I put the "power limit" at -15%. No more crash. Hope it can help others.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like your GPU is faulty.
0 Likes
Realjo
Journeyman III

I believe it is faulty. I tried my friend's MSI 6800Xt in my system and no crashes. 

0 Likes
JumpStream
Journeyman III

I've had 3 months of no issues with my 6900 XT until updating to the latest drivers yesterday. Computer crashing in idle occasionally and guaranteed crashing in video games typically around 20 minutes in. I reverted drivers back to the August Drivers which I also had no problems with and  the problem persisted. I'm willing to chalk it up to windows updates because I've had to lower my overclock clocks since that seems to have fixed the present issue. Would appreciate if someone at AMD would look into it since like many others, it can be a frustrating process when technology just doesn't work.

Build:

Ryzen 5900x

Aorus Pro Wifi X570

32GB 3600MHZ DDR4 CL18

6900 XT

0 Likes
SnglSrvngFrnd
Journeyman III

WHY DOES THIS WORK!?!? THANK YOU!!! How did you figure this out?

0 Likes
sfb0519
Journeyman III

Hello, I have been fighting this problem for quite a while. In Cyberpunk and COD Cold War. On multiple motherboards but seems to be less frequent on older drivers from June. So what I got fed up and bought an IPMI server asrack server board. and what I just discovered since I can logon with the IPMI when it crashes and reboots the Asus 6900xt disappears from device manager and the computer has to be completely shutdown get the gpu to work again. I also experienced a crash changing to HDR in windows earlier in the night and had to shutdown remotely as the gaming pc is in the basement. I thinking of doing an RMA on the card but this seems to be a vary common issue I wish I would of bought a warrant at Microcenter that way I could of swapped on for a 3080ti or a 3090. After spending 1400 on a GPU I would gladly pay 2000+ for a card that actually works.

Asrock Rack x570d4u

AMD Ryzen 5800x no OC

16GB Gskill ram no OC

ASUS Strix 6900xt

850 Thermeltake power supply

0 Likes
berndmuaddib
Elite

The exchange version would have been better, but I didn't Googled for problems with my RX5700XT either. Now we have the salad. Otherwise there is a procedure that can minimize problems like these: deactivate network card, Windows Update and device installation settings, download the DDD and the Radeon driver 21.10.1 beforehand, delete all graphics drivers in safe mode with DDD and restart, monitor and Radeon graphics drivers without adrenaline software install and restart, activate network card. I don't know whether this will be successful with your particular network. I use the MSI Afterburner to set the core clock, core voltage and fan management and the FurMark graphics benchmark for testing.

0 Likes