cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Re: 6900XT causing PC to reboot while gaming

@goodplay no offense but you don't have the issue that's why your system is stable.

@Tazryder You need to make one change at a time and test, It also takes over a week to reproduce the issue often. Newer BIOSes do reduce the occurance. Certain BIOS settings also reduce the occurance further.

I thought I had solved it only to find out it was still and issue 3 months later.

I have had the issue occur outside of Windows when running memtest86+, It's possible it'll return for you.

The issue is most likely a hardware issue, although possible it could be fixed with a more stable BIOS but that would depend on what the exact issue is.

0 Likes
Tazryder
Adept II

Yeah I get the process of elimination, @Cmdr-ZiN  it's like the golden rule of IT.

I think it's the ATI Radeon software, as the card works fine on a fresh install of Windows. Aslong as you stick with the Basic VGA driver. But that isn't helpful when you wish to utilise the cards advanced features.

I'm trying to figure out why Linux doesn't have the same issues.

I know it uses the Vulkan APIs to access the cards higher functions.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vulkan 

"I have had the issue occur outside of Windows when running memtest86+, It's possible it'll return for you." - For real :'( I'm dredding a crash on Linux.

How does MemTest86+ interface with the card.

https://github.com/Distrotech/memtest86  - This is the source code, I'll have to take a look into this.

I miss the days before covid19 where you could just buy a new card to replace the problematic one. :'(

From a developers perspective this card is GREAT 12GB of memory is alot to work with. Just wish it was more stable.

goodplay
MVP

@Tazryder 

Look forward to seeing your post on 'tenforums.com' as to the exact Dcom. error and fix all posted for the many gurus to peruse and discuss.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 7000s 2tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro..
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

@Tazryder when you ran the basic vga driver how many weeks did you run it on idle for?

I assume memtest is basic vga but I haven't looked at the code.

Previously I had a 780GTX with nVidia drivers and still got the issue. It occurred for the first time the day I installed my 5800X, MOBO, RAM and Gen 4 SSD.

I noticed it first when I installed my 6900XT a couple of months later, there was indicators before but it only happened while I was AFK so I didn't really pay much attention until it happened in front of me.

If Feb/Mar I started troubleshooting it, it got more stable with GFX driver and BIOS updates but wasn't really solved. I can make it more stable still but I'd rather replace it than tweak to make it stable.

I haven't had a reoccurance since the latest beta BIOS but I haven't been running on it long enough either.

That being said I might have a different issue, still the process of elimination is the same. I most likely rolled a 1 when getting my CPU.

0 Likes
RaiJinRoh
Adept I

Well dang it, i just had another crash right now. In Horizon Dawn. Seems its not fixed but its more rare.

Someone said to use 2 cables for powering the GPU, but i have 3 8-pin slots on my card. Should i use 3 cables ?

Another thing i will try is to use a UPS, i stoped using it a few years back couse i needed a new battery and was to lazy to get a new one. I do have some instability with electricity, hmm

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

@RaiJinRoh yes use 3 and UPS couldn't hurt, However in a lot of cases I don't think it's the GPU.

0 Likes
RaiJinRoh
Adept I

I changed the GPU supply to 3 PCIE cables, my PSU is a 850w Seasonic Gold and should not have any problems with this GPU. All that is left is to see how it does with the UPS. If its from electricity fluctuations and if not all i can do is wait for better software.

It saddens me that so many people have problems with those GPU's or the software that is used for them. After paying so much money 2 times or more than they are really worth we still strugle. 

Let me add that the sistem worked perfectly with a 1080TI, i DDU everything before instaling the AMD drivers. I could uninstal windows but i will keep it as a last resort as i saw other reinstaled windows and nothing changed. Something else here smells fishy.

AMD fix your S**T !

0 Likes
RaiJinRoh
Adept I

Found something quite troubling on redit:

Spikes :

RX 6800XT = 389w , RTX 3080 = 377w | RX 6800 =318w , RTX 3070 = 243w

about Reference RX 6900 XT, The number is worrisome.It's 619W while RTX 3090= 464w.

What this means is that for most PSU's a 619w draw ( ONLY FROM CARD ) means sistem reset. Even cheaper to medium 1000w would not witstand this. 

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

That is when running Furmark. If you are not familiar with the application, it puts a very heavy workload onto the GPU and represents a worse case scenario.

Igors lab did some additional testing with more typical (gaming) workloads and shorter transients (than what was tested elsehwhere) see below. 

amdmatt_1-1623602818561.pngamdmatt_2-1623602834897.png

Source & source

The recommended PSU for a 6900 XT is a quality 850W unit and to use two separate PSU cables and you should be fine. 

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Yeah I've never seen over 500W at the wall running games and 3Dmark with my XFX 6900 XT MERC BLACK. I wouldn't pay too much attention to reddit.

I'd be happy with an 850W PSU but I run 1000W anyway. I'd also run 3 cables just because, however I do agree 2 and a daisy chain would be fine with this power draw.

I also don't think a lot of people are having issues with graphics cards in this thread. One guy with lines on his screen, yeah he most likely does. The rest could be many different things that are hard to narrow down.

For me I've not been able to reproduce it since the AGESA 1.2.0.3a BIOS update, and the issue has occurred less and less throughout the year as I installed newer drivers and BIOSes. I've also ruled out GPU and PSU.

How many people have tried their graphics card in a different PC and had the same issue?