Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Bockeworst
Adept I

6900XT causing freezes/lagging/stutters/sound popping-buzzing

Hello,

About 4-5 months ago I've built my new computer (see specs below). Everything worked out of the box. Installed games, started playing, no issues whatsoever. 

Since a couple of weeks ago I started experiencing random 'freezes' where I hear the sound starting to pop/buzz, my mouse starts to lagg over the screen and overall the computer freezes for micro seconds. It would normally last for a couple of seconds. But over time it started to last longer.

I don't know how to reproduce the issue. It just happens every once in a while right after starting up a game.

2 weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows. Before that I've updated my BIOS to the latest version. Once Windows got reinstalled, I've also updated my drivers to latest versions. 

The issue still occurs.

The issue started when I was playing the game "New World". Didn't change much to the default set settings. Only thing I changed was the resolution from 1080p to 1440p. I also started playing "Star Wars Battlefront 2" where I experienced the same issue. Eventually installed and played "Sea of Thieves" for the first time and had the issue for quite some time, continuously. I none of these games I changed settings from the defaults, except resolution.

After that I started recording and had installed some monitoring tools. Right after I started experiencing the issue in games, I closed down the game, booted up a GPU benchmarking tool called "Heaven" and made recordings. Why? When gaming I'm talking etc. The sound will get recorded. To get rid of it, closed down everything and used "Heaven" to experience the issue again. See these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av_KtwRvxrI (minor occurrence)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEufRXySns 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9UgKxzMGc 

System:

• AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT (Reference model)
  • Desktop System
  • Windows 10 64bit 21H2 19044.1415 Build
  • Radeon Software Adrenaline 21.12.1
  • DELL S2721DFG 2560x1440 @144Hz DP
  • Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Asus B550-F Gaming BIOS 2423
  • Fractal ION+ 860P 860W
  • Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 2x16GB
  • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
  • Seagate BarraCuda 510 1TB

Can anyone help me figure out what is causing this? Is there anything I can do more?

9 Replies

The first place to start is uninstall any 3rd party OC/fan control apps (including mobo software suites).

Disable web browser /discord/other similar hardware acceleration function.

There were a number of early version monitoring apps known to cause issues, if they don't have recent updates remove them.

Then you have windows FSO (hybrid fullscreen), you'll have to experiment with on vs off in each game (or disable it globally).

That should keep you busy for a few days. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
mi7chy
Adept II

Have you tried 21.10.2 WHQL driver?

0 Likes

From the first video it sounds like a dpc latency issue. Are you using more than one monitor? Can you test while running latencymon?

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dpc-latency-spike-when-displaying-content-on-second-sc...

0 Likes

From the first video it sounds like a dpc latency issue. Are you using more than one monitor? Can you test while running latencymon?

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dpc-latency-spike-when-displaying-content-on-second-sc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I'm only using 1 monitor. The one listed in the hardware list.

Did install latencymon. Let it ran for a few minutes while visiting some sites and having a couple of applications open, like discord and steam. 

The measure for "Highest measured interrupt to process latency" did 'peak' a little, just enough to trigger the conclusion becoming black with explanatory text instead of the normal green.

The text it showed was "disable cpu throttling settings in control panel and bios setup". After a little bit of searching I went into Windows Settings > Power & sleep > Performance and Energy and changed the power mode to 'Best Performance'.

Ran another session of latencymon afterwards and hasn't reached the same peak as before. So conclusion is still green.

I will continue to play around and validate while playing some games!

0 Likes

Have you tried 21.10.2 WHQL driver?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I've experienced this issue since a couple of drivers ago. I'm pretty sure that this is one of the versions I've had the issue with.

0 Likes

First Great graphics on those games you uploaded on Youtube.

I guess you are talking about the jerkiness of movement through out the video.

I would first try running the games in it minimal settings and see if the jerkiness continues.

Also try to disable, temporarily, any Radeon Settings for the game that might cause issues with video output or set it at default settings. In case it is a Radeon Settings causing the issue.

Last when you mentioned you hear popping-buzzing sound is that from your actual PC speakers or from the GPU card itself?

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I've experienced the audio clicking/popping/cutting out several years ago when we still used those multi pin VGA cables to connect to your monitor. It turned out the MOBO audio chipset was not supported by the game itself. The only way I could solved the problem was by disabling the MOBO audio chipset and installing an after market audio card. I went with creative labs audio card and continued using it till the MOBO's stopped using standard PCI slots. Got the card in 07 and it worked all the way up to 2017. Crazy thing is Creative Labs still supports the card all the way from windows XP to windows 10. You might try an after market audio card and just let your GPU handle graphics plus this would take some work load off your GPU. It's just my opinion but I think the real problem is most games haven't caught up with their DX 12 support and that's what's causing most issues with these higher end cards. From what I've seen in Invidia forums the 3080 and 3090 are having similar problems as the 6800 XT and 6900 XT.

Also look into the fact that the New World game has been running cards hot and killing 3000 series cards, look into if it is causing it with AMD cards. I think they made changes to it to fix it and I haven't ran it so it's for your information. It was known to overheat and even burn cards out. Also, always try reducing overclocks if you have them or run a stability benchmark to make sure that isn't causing some thermal throttling somewhere that might cause stutter and audio cracking like you show in the video.

MacArthur
Adept III

yo @Bockeworst

I have a problem like yours with:

• RX 6900XT average temperature 70c in games (2000RPM)
  • CPU: i9 9900kf Average temperature in 60c games
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390 game with WIFI
  • 2t SSD NVMe (all games are installed)
  • 480 g SSD (for windows)
  • 16x2 ram 3000mhz cl 16
  • Windows 11 64 bit
  • PSU 800w Radeon Software Adrenaline 21.12.1

2k monitor (2560x1440p) 165Hz DP port
After a few checks, I realized that older games do not use all the power of a graphics card, for example, I use only 30% of my graphics card in left4Dead 2.
New generation graphics cards seem to achieve 90% performance only with the DX12 and Vulkan.
For example, in Cyberpunk 2077 and my graphics card control is used up to 99%.
There is also the problem of disconnecting and reconnecting the sound in DX11
To fix: Try to increase the resolution scale in the game ( for low GPU use )
Turn off Free Sync and turn on V-sync in games
and turn off any overlay in game
You can also visit this link that I and @ Geforsikus_2021 talked about:

https: //community.amd.com/t5/graphics/6900xt-not-100-use-at-all-games-just-using-70/m-p/492632#M7995 ...

0 Likes