cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

foehammer
Adept I

6900XT Black Screen issues

Since I have gotten this card, I have been dealing with a similar black screen issue that a lot of people have been having with 6900XT and 6800XT cards. While playing games I will loose all display output. Screen goes black requiring a restart. 

Grinding through forums trying to figure out the root cause and solution I have seen lots of different answers on stale posts. I was wondering if anyone has any updated solutions. It seems ridiculous to me that a premium card at stock clocks can have an issue like this.

This has been happening on multiple different games, Dota2, Humankind, GTA5.

System Specs:

GPU: RX 6900 XT ASUS TUF

CPU: Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-Core Processor, 3901 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE

BIOS Version: American Megatrends International, LLC. 1.E0, 5/13/2021

Resizable Bar: On

RAM: 64GB G.SKILL 3200@XMP 2.0

PSU: EVGA G3 1000Watt

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

GPU Drivers: Adrenalin Driver Version: 21.8.2

0 Likes
1 Solution

The latest driver releases note an issue with blacked out screen that can be fixed .  I only had encountered this on my 6900 when playing Ark: Survival Evolved.  I fixed it by disabling "Radeon Image Sharpening".  Freesync is still enabled on my monitor and seems to work just fine. 

From the 21.8.2 release notes:

"AMD is investigating a black screen issue that may be experienced while playing Myst™ or Kingshunt™ on some Radeon™ RX 6800 XT graphics products. A temporary workaround is to disable Performance Metrics Overlay or Radeon™ Image Sharpening in Radeon Software."

Separately, I've had an issue with my HP Reverb G2 where the right eye is black/off, so I'm still awaiting a fix for that issue.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AxelF0leyoo7
Journeyman III

If you have freesync enabled, turn it off and check again if the black screens come back.

This fixed it for me.

0 Likes

Hey man, I appreciate the reply. I just cannot accept turning off a major feature of a top tier graphics card to be a reasonable solution to this problem. 

I know, but in my case this fixed the problem.

I had 3 choices, because amd is not going to fix this problem any time soon ( i had this issue on my other system as well with a radeon7).

Accept the black screens.

Turn off freesync.

Get a nVidia card.

0 Likes

The latest driver releases note an issue with blacked out screen that can be fixed .  I only had encountered this on my 6900 when playing Ark: Survival Evolved.  I fixed it by disabling "Radeon Image Sharpening".  Freesync is still enabled on my monitor and seems to work just fine. 

From the 21.8.2 release notes:

"AMD is investigating a black screen issue that may be experienced while playing Myst™ or Kingshunt™ on some Radeon™ RX 6800 XT graphics products. A temporary workaround is to disable Performance Metrics Overlay or Radeon™ Image Sharpening in Radeon Software."

Separately, I've had an issue with my HP Reverb G2 where the right eye is black/off, so I'm still awaiting a fix for that issue.

So i didnt have the metrics overlay on, but I did have Image Sharpening on. As soon as i turned it off black screens stopped. I find this as an acceptable trade off as I dont really notice the difference with it off. Thanks so much for the help!

You, sir, are a genius. Thank you. 6000 cards are good, I just don't care for all these software features AMD tries to shove up our computers. 

0 Likes

I had blackscreens specily when i watch youtube or can happen whenever in game or browsing the web, my card is XFX 6900 XT Merc 319 Black edition, i had this problem for months on all drivers then i read there are 2 bioses on the card so i switch to other bios that is towords the right of the card where the power connectors are, never ever had 1 single black screen i can even have hardware acceleration on chrome whitout problem. Seams to me some of you that have this problem if you have dual bios switch to other one or if you only have 1 bios then dont do this unless you have 2:end card or iternal so you can reflesh if something goes wrong. Anyway my problem is totaly solved after 5-6 months of struggle, so not amd drivers foult just XFX did something bad with one of the bioses.  

I hope this helps you guys i just registred the account in hope i would help someone with this struggle. 

0 Likes

if you are switching to the second bios and its stabilizing for you it means its not quiet stable for whatever reason on the rage mode bios, be that power, heat, etc

the balance mode bios seems to be keeping things happy for ya

for the 6900 xt merc 319 I think its 7ish watts defaand a slight core clock boost/drop between the two switches

0 Likes
Jorgee
Journeyman III

I started to have this problem and couldn't fix it by changing drivers. Restarting the computer, enabling the device again, etc, sometimes worked, sometimes not.

My card had a one cable that split into two PCIe connectors.

So what I did was connect one more cable to the PSU (850w). So now instead of one cable with two heads, I have two separate cables going to the card, one from the first row and one from the second row in the PSU, in hopes that they have a separate circuit.

So far it's been like 5 windows -> game starts with no black screen.

0 Likes

Hey

So did it fix your problem?

Im having Black sccrens every Time i start/play a game which needs a lot of Power.

0 Likes
nechana
Adept II

Use DDU and install 22.5.1 WHQL drivers.

0 Likes
Raxis
Journeyman III

Change your instant replay/screen recording encoder from HEVC to AVC

0 Likes