cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tapekeep
Adept II

6900 XT stuttering with YouTube 4K60 videos

This happens on every browser I've tried: I load a 4K60 video on YouTube and there are dropped frames on Firefox and very sluggish scrolling on Edge (likely the same on other Chromium-based browsers), the video even stops to "buffer" when scrolling the page with the video window in view. This happens with every Adrenalin version I've installed up to the most recent WHQL version to date (22.6.1, Windows 11).

An easy solution on Firefox is to go to about:config, search for DXVA and set "media.wmf.dxva.d3d11.enabled" to false. This removes the stuttering and makes everything smooth, as it should be, but CPU usage goes up quite a bit.

Another thing to note is this issue does not happen with the drivers supplied by Windows Update, though they are very out of date. This issue also doesn't happen at all in the Linux distributions I've tested in the same system, so it seems to be exclusive to recent Windows drivers.

The system: Ryzen 9 5900X, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz (4x16GB; this also happened with 2x16GB at 3200MHz), ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi), PowerColor Radeon RX 6900 XT Red Devil, Windows 11 (also tested on Windows 10). Tested with PCIe Gen 3 and Gen 4 modes, ReBAR enabled and disabled as well as Gen 3 and Gen 4 NVMe SSDs as boot drives. I had a Vega 56 in this system prior to this card and none of the previously described issues happened at all.

107 Replies

Tested on Edge, 4K60 is much smoother, would consider it fixed even though some frames still drop if you scroll the video window in and out of view in the page. Firefox is the main browser that I use though, nothing has changed there (they did point it out in the known issues for this driver, so hopefully a fix gets pushed soon).

0 Likes

Updated to 22.11.2 which should fix the video stutters with Firefox (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-11-2) but that doesn't seem to be the case. When comparing the YT video you posted with the video downloaded and played through VLC, the Edge/Firefox/YT scenario yields constant micro-stutters while VLC plays the video absolutely smooth. It's extremely apparent around 3:48 (https://youtu.be/zCLOJ9j1k2Y?t=228) with the tower being a jittery mess in Edge/Firefox/YT.

I made a clean install with driver only option.

0 Likes
khaliddevix
Journeyman III

driver version 22.10.2
6700XT 
5700X

Chrome stutters and freezes while streaming and ANGLE graphics backend is set to Default
changing it to D3D9 solved the issue with me 

0 Likes
tapekeep
Adept II

22.11.2 claims to have solved the issue, but nothing has changed on my end. When I set "media.wmf.dxva.d3d11.enabled" to "true" (the default setting in Firefox's about:config), 4K60 videos still stutter the same way they did in previous recent drivers.

0 Likes

Strange... For Chrome it was fixed completely.

DimkaTsv_0-1669947155799.png

What does your Youtube reports?

0 Likes

Here's the problem: it doesn't report any dropped frames, but playback is clearly stuttering.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

0 Likes

Strange then.
Back when YouTube stuttered even at Chrome there was about 10-20% of dropped frames shown. I remember that vividly, felt like choppy video.
Maybe there is something else going on?

0 Likes
joshthornton
Adept I

This issue in chrome was fixed for one driver version. Then 22.11.1 and onwards (I believe) broke it again. This is getting annoying. It's youtube. My **bleep** iris xe laptop can do 4k60 smooth as butter.

0 Likes

Idk what is happening for you. I have no issues on 22.11.2. More than that, since 22.11.1 they also fixed timeline skip when you return to playback window after leaving it sometimes in background.
Now everything is smooth as it never was since at least 22.7.1

For Chrome, it is. 

0 Likes

I'm on 22.11.2 which is supposed to fix the microstutters in Firefox/YouTube but it's still happening here. Did the .2 update fix it for you or do you still have those, too?

0 Likes
tapekeep
Adept II

Formatted my computer and installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 as well as the latest 22.11.2 driver. On Edge, the video plays smoothly for the most part, but drops frames every now and then. Setting ANGLE backend to either default or D3D9 doesn't show any significant difference.

edge6900xt-22-11-2.png

On Firefox, setting D3D11 DXVA to false produces a perfectly smooth result, but leaving it on true (default) makes the video stutter and the player interface lag along with it, even though YouTube doesn't see those stutters as dropped frames.

firefox6900xt-22-11-2.png

0 Likes

On Firefox, setting D3D11 DXVA to false produces a perfectly smooth result, but leaving it on true (default) makes the video stutter and the player interface lag along with it, even though YouTube doesn't see those stutters as dropped frames.

Hmm... Can it be that Firefox uses some "older-style" calls to DX11 so current driver have trouble while working with them? 
Anyways, it will be hard for me to either diagnose or troubleshoot such problem, sadly. 

0 Likes
drmosh
Journeyman III

It's amazing this thread is still going... my 6700 XT had the same laggy interface, same laggy scroll any youtube video...  you know how I fixed it? By switching to one of my other NVIDIA cards...  seems AMD just doesn't know how to do video drivers...

0 Likes
tapekeep
Adept II

Installed the latest WHQL driver. OBS introduces a little bit of stuttering, but in person the first example is 100% smooth and the second example (default settings, D3D11 DXVA) is pretty much as bad as it looks: https://youtu.be/3pH_W-XCuBA

0 Likes
onz1k
Adept I

Youtube in chrome is fixed, but did anyone notice stutter in video player? I use vlc media player and since last update it isn't as smooth as it used too. I wonder if it's a coincidence or some new bug.

tapekeep
Adept II

Still not solved with version 23.2.1. I'll throw in the towel for this one, the about:config bodge from the first post still works.

Yeah, and it's still not solved with 23.2.2 on Win10. Setting media.wmf.dxva.d3d11.enabled to false in the about:config immediately makes the playback smooth but at double the CPU cost.

It's like they don't care at this point anymore.

0 Likes

Although the stuttering is only happening in Firefox on Win 10 and it seems to be fixed in Chromium and Edge.

Well, at least that's better than before where it was stuttering in all my browsers.

Also, the stuttering doesn't happen on Linux (Manjaro) with the same Firefox version and the same hardware.

This points to an issue with AMD's Win driver and the Windows Media Framework.

0 Likes
casca
Journeyman III

Hi Everyone!

I just created an account to write this forum. I bough 6900XT almost a year ago. Honestly, I have faced with millions of problems, bugs and crashes. I started to face with this Youtube bug approximately for one month. Finally I found the solution. I am sharing it below. Maybe it'll help someone.

Go to BIOS settings and enable to below two options.

1) Resize BAR

2) Above 4G Encoding

I did it and it solved this issue.

0 Likes

I already had that enabled since the first post, the card has been on two different computers (B550 and X570 chipsets) with the exact same behavior. Aside from the Firefox D3D9 bodge and using Linux, the only known solution is an older driver (the default one supplied by Windows Update, from 2021, being one of them).

VLC also drops frames when using D3D11 acceleration on the latest driver, with D3D9 and OpenGL being fine but not supporting HDR.

Can confirm this. Resize BAR and Above 4G Encoding don't have an influence over here (23.3.1).

0 Likes
mgfirewater
Journeyman III

the release notes of 23.4.1 give  me hope.
"Video playback in browsers using hardware acceleration may appear blurry on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XT."

but the dxva stuttering in kodi isn't solved

0 Likes
tanazzz
Adept III

I'm using Firefox and am STILL getting the same stuttering and browser slowing down issues as described by many people above with my 6950XT when playing 1440p and above content (so basically VP9) on youtube. The only solution so far has been setting media.wmf.dxva.d3d11.enabled to FALSE. This fixed the problem however I don't know what the compatibility implications are of disabling that feature. Will it break some sites' video playback all together?

As far as I know, the only drawback is increased CPU usage, but the broken D3D11 DXVA affects other applications that rely on it (VLC, for example, will occasionally drop frames in D3D11 mode; changing that to D3D9 or OpenGL solves the stuttering, but neither support HDR output, converting the content to SDR). With LAVFilters, which I use for DVBViewer, I have to use software decoding and deinterlacing in order to get smooth video, something I never had to do on my prior cards (Vega 56 and GTX 780 Ti).

0 Likes

It's ridiculous just how incompetent AMD have been with something as essential as video playback. Just brutal and it's been what, a year since this bug was initially reported in the driver release notes?

0 Likes
tanazzz
Adept III

Issue persists in latest Firefox with latest 24.4.3 drivers. 1440p and 4k make the entire browser laggy. Reported the issue to both Firefox and AMD but so far crickets. Only solution is setting media.wmf.dxva.d3d11.enable to FALSE with disables DX11 video decoding and uses DX9. Hey @amd how about make a GPU that has the ability to playback video in 2023 or nah?

Can confirm that 24.4.3 still cause stuttery video playback in Firefox like with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLOJ9j1k2Y

However, it's butter smooth with Edge and the CPU consumption seems to be equal compared to Firefox (meaning both seem to use D3D11 WMF).

Has this issue been reported to the Firefox team?

Just did that, linking back to this thread as well. Also tested video playback on Edge with the default settings and can confirm no stuttering. Both Firefox and VLC still show the same behavior under D3D11, though (I'm testing with HEVC 3840x2160 24fps content on VLC, some frames take longer to draw, it's quite noticeable).

0 Likes
fsdfs423rrFF
Journeyman III

So same vram clock speeds for gaming and for media? During video playback via media players (potplayer, vlc, mpc-be, etc.) and while watching Youtube videos in fullscreen mode vram clocks are at full speed and draw ~20W (6600 XT). Also youtube rewind/fast forward is noticeably slow, use fast forward several times with arrow keys, and video codec 0 in task manager is filled up 100% and say hi to lags. Tried different drivers, CRU, but still nothing.

My only workaround is ANGLE D3D9 for chrome and MPV.NET media player. With this youtube lags are gone, vram clock doesn't go over ~1080 MHz (now gpu fans turn on only while gaming), and in task manager gpu uses 3D instead of video codec 0.  In exchange, this eats up CPU consumption.

Cheaper gpu's, cheaper drivers, i guess. Maybe fix this someday? 

joshthornton
Adept I

Still broken for me on any chromium browser, 4k60 and higher. 4k24/4k30 works fine. Pretty stupid. 

tanazzz
Adept III

Still broken on Firefox (unless DXVA 11 disabled) as well. I've reported the bug to bugzilla but I think its a driver issue considering it happens in chrome too. Just disgusting stuff, these people are genuinely going to force me back to Nvidia with their gross incompetence.

0 Likes
tapekeep
Adept II

It has been more than a full year since the first post. Just tested the latest 23.7.1 driver, no changes, still stuttering in the latest Firefox (114.0.2) with D3D11 DXVA.

DXVA is just worse overall... It is outdated mode which cause increased overhead. Felt it on my skin with MPC-HC. Wanna use DXVA - set renderer to D3D9 instead. 
D3D11 should be a way, not DXVA (and they are different pipelines). You also cannot do HW accelerated AV1 with DXVA at all, only D3D11

0 Likes

The setting I'm referring to in firefox disables DX11 and switches to DXVA instead. I know it's objectively worse but it's the only way to get a non-laggy browser while playing 1440p/4k vids in firefox currently.

0 Likes

That's why I've been essentially begging "AMD pls fix" for the last more than a year, the solution is a temporary bodge to make the system usable for media consumption at all. MPV seems to avoid this issue and support HDR and VRR out of the box, but I don't know which backend they use. I really don't want to spend stupid amounts of money on a competing brand that is overpricing their cards just to have YouTube working correctly in Windows and DVBViewer not restricted to software rendering.

0 Likes

Hahaha I actually have the same HDR issues as well. I use MPC-BE and MADVR but it's janky as all hell. I'm just done at this point. Moving to a 4090 next month, can't be bothered with the non-existent bug reporting process and the non-interested driver team.

0 Likes

I wish I had money to throw at a 4090 and a new power supply (and possibly new case, those things are massive; my intention back then was to buy a GPU for the long haul during the shortage and the price was about the same for the 6800 and 6900 XT), but I have plenty of free time to keep saying "AMD pls fix", so I'll do some more of that since 23.7.2 still didn't fix the core issue.

AMD, please, I beg you, give some quality GPU video processing to a card that can obviously do it (works fine in Linux and old Windows drivers, but then has gaming issues).

0 Likes
tapekeep
Adept II

23.7.2 update: still lags with D3D11 accelerated video, no changes in behavior. AMD, please fix.

0 Likes

I started a thread on the AMDhelp subreddit a few days ago and the issue seems to be inconsistent from user to user. Some people have it just as bad or worse as we do while others don't have it at all. I can't pinpoint what the make or break factor of this bug is.

0 Likes

For me it was fixed in Chrome few months ago, but after last update youtube started to drop frames again. Before it was losing constantly and now it drops time to time (like once a minute).

0 Likes