cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

brad7610
Journeyman III

6900 xt running hot

Ok, so I've been using a reference 6900XT I got from AMD's online store. It has a thermal throttling issue, causing bad frame drops and stutters. It is in an Xtia open air case, but the GPU temp is 70-80C and the Juction temp is running at 110C in Black Ops Cold War, and any other taxing game. Even with fans at 100%.

I also have an MSI 6900XT Gaming Z Trio. It runs 60C on the GPU and 80C at the Junction, with 50-70% fan speed. Is there anything I can do? It shouldn't run this hot.

0 Likes
4 Replies
APmech
Adept II

Setup a more aggressive custom fan profile and try to undervolt.  Start at 1100mv and work your way down.

0 Likes
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi

If you have a msi 6900 xt gaming z trio - then I do not understand why you use the ref. model ?! The Z trio use the XTXH variant of the gpu - higher clocks. Furthermore you are lucky to have one of the good Z models. I used to have one and it went to 110 junc. temp all the time and I returned it. Those cards have sev. temp spots and if just one gets to 110 it throttles down. 

If junc.temp goes to 110 - then there is a thermal issue - no way you can controll the fans to get out of that. You also state they run at 100 %. Could be thermal paste not ok - could be heatsink not firmly and evenly attached to the pcb - kind of when you attach the cooler to your motherboard / cpu - important that screws are thighten and evenly all around.

Are you taxing the card 100 % in Cold war ? Are you going way beyond limits of your screen ? Like you have 144 hz screen and you have 200+ fps - as in no need and waste of frames (I know some will disagree here - frametime low as it can get). 

Frametimes as low as possible yes - but when you hit 110 and throttles down - then that is an even worse scenario - better find lower fps and not hitting the 110 limit - like framecap to something lower !

I myself have asus 6900xt tuf - clocked to 2500 (could perhaps go higher) and I happy with this card !

0 Likes

My Sapphire RX6950XT has been overheating since I bought it new last year on Amazon (regular 100C + 110C); recently it shuts down every 2nd PUBG game at 1440p. Last nite I tried booting up MS 2020 Flight, and it crashes overheating at boot up. Was running GPU-Z to check temps during loading (118C till lights out); have a large PC case with lots of fans and a 1200W Platinum PSU. X570S Mo-bo. 3600 CL14 Rams.

Card is clean. etc. BIOS fan curves are properly set. Frustrating.

0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Could be a QA issue with bad thermal pads or perhaps not making proper contact? But then again, if its regular temp is 70-80c, I doubt that's the issue. BUT you may need to look into an RMA especially if its still that high with the fans going 100%. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you get the situation fix without sending it in, let us know the remedy!

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes