Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Dean1990
Adept I

6900 XT no signal to monitor on cold boot

Hi,

I have the gigabyte 6900 xt reference card. On every cold boot my motherboard will give me a long beep and 3 short beeps, indicating an issue with the card. However if i manually wake the monitor by pressing the on button on the monitor and then turn on the pc it will boot up as normal.

I can always tell that the pc will not boot as the stand by light on the monitor usually flashes when the pc is off, however it is solid after the pc has been turned off for a long period.

Restarting also boots fine and even if i shut down and leave it for an hour it will boot up fine.

I previously had the vega 64 in this setup which I had no issues just to rule out other hardware.

Pc Specs:

CPU: 3900X

GPU: 6900 XT

PSU: Corsair 1000W

Motherboard: Gigabyte 570x Pro

RAM: Corsair 32GB 3600mhz

Any ideas? let me know if you need any more information, I'm puzzled.

0 Likes
53 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Try reseating the card. How old is the PSU? After 10 years, the caps can start to fail causing not enough juice on tap for booting that juice hungry card. Check the connections to the card, make sure you're not using a dongle or splitter, make sure the wires are firmly in place.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Thanks for your input.

Yeah tried the usual reseating checking wires etc, all other components are less than a year old.

The 6900xt has struggled since first install, ive just been making sure I wake my monitor first by pressing its on button before turning the pc on.

Once it's on though everything is fine which is what I dont understand.

0 Likes

So if you wake the monitor first it doesn't matter if the card is cold? In that case, just make sure the monitor is on like you are. When you turn the PC on one of the self tests is signal check to the monitor. I'm not certain, but I think I read about this issue with prior cards/drivers. The other is possibly when the monitor is in standby it's not feeding that signal to the GPU or the GPU doesn't sense that, hence no display until you manually turn the monitor off/on. Might be a monitor issue. In any case, I'd just turn the monitor all the way off when not in use. 

I just got a Gigabyte RX 6800 and I haven't noticed that issue and I hit the power button, then the monitor power and no issue like you describe. This happens within about 2 seconds apart, so maybe I'm just catching that self test before it thinks there's no display.

0 Likes

Correct, as long as I manually wake the monitor it will boot straight up, I can then shut it down and it will turn on again providing I dont leave it for a number of hours which then I'll have to make sure I wake the monitor again.

By cold boot I meant not used for a while.

0 Likes

That's odd, but like I said it might be the display or even the cable. I use DP vs. HDMI, it might make a difference. Something is not sending or receiving the "standby" signal. Does this happen if you let the monitor turn off after a set time or during "sleep"? If so, try using a Ryzen power plan via the chipset driver. 

One person on here had this issue and for some reason changed displays and it fixed it. Then I found this is the forum: [FIXED] Windows 10 computer won’t wake up from sleep mode (pcerror-fix.com) Nothing I use, because I don't use hibernation or sleep modes but many do.

0 Likes

Recently got a new dp cable just to make sure.

Yeah what youre saying is the way I was going with it, as I said though the monitor worked fine with the vega 64. If I do not wake the monitor the motherboard gives me 1 long beep and 2 short with the debugging LED set on the vga. However once I manually wake the monitor, everything is then fine.

0 Likes

In BIOS do you have display set to PCIe as first vs. Auto or onboard?

0 Likes

Initial display output is set to pcie 1 slot

Pciex16 bifurcation is on auto.

Pcie16 slot configuration is also set to auto

Motherboard bios is also on latest release.

0 Likes

What does BIOS beep sound mean? | FAQ - GIGABYTE Global 

1 long and 2 short is RAM. Run Memtest x64. Actually, reseat the RAM just in case it got knocked around installing the card. Another is try resetting the CMOS after writing your settings down first. The GPU has 16GB VRAM and the board counts all RAM not just the sticks. So you have 32GB plus 16GB= 48GB to the BIOS. Might be snagging things. A reset might fix that.

0 Likes

I will try it just to find out I may have to listen again for the beeps to confirm as the motherboards LED stops on the vga to indicate an error.

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 wrote:

What does BIOS beep sound mean? | FAQ - GIGABYTE Global 

1 long and 2 short is RAM. Run Memtest x64. Actually, reseat the RAM just in case it got knocked around installing the card. Another is try resetting the CMOS after writing your settings down first. The GPU has 16GB VRAM and the board counts all RAM not just the sticks. So you have 32GB plus 16GB= 48GB to the BIOS. Might be snagging things. A reset might fix that.

The issue could be a bit more complex than that. As what could be happening is the the Graphics Card isn't detecting a viable Output (Display) and thus booting up, but not initialising... and with SAM Enabled, it does require said Initialisation as the VRAM and SRAM are being handled in a similar way to UMA. 

What I'd recommend is enabling Sleep Mode for the Display, and/or enabling HDMI-CEC (if available); and never turning off your Display. This will allow the Graphics Card to control when it's turned on / off... thus will always be available and the Card should then always initialise. 

0 Likes

yeah with this beeps , if it indicates the ram , memtest could even be ok , but still having problem with cold boots , try to set it to 3200 , for the check, if you have it above 3200..., it solve a lot of problems in this time and from one bios to another

0 Likes

Just to also throw a spanner in the works.

When the pc fails to boot with the monitor, the pc loads to windows in the background as I can blindly enter my password for Windows and I then see my icue peripherals boot up and change to my profile whilst the monitor is receiving no signal.

But again I'll have to manually wake my monitor and restart by pressing the pc off button which it will shut down blindly. It's so strange.

0 Likes

@Dean1990so if the pc is booted , switching the monitor on and off again doesn't display anything ? (I have this kind of problems : sometime when i boot, i get no display until loaded on windows login screen ... and sometime if i want to go in bios , no display , but then i switch the screen off and on again and it displays a picture again... I have this since i have my monitor, not depending on my gpu as i changed not long time ago , maybe dp cable or screen firmware (if possible , check for update? ) as someone said)

0 Likes

just puzzled as to why my motherboard would show fault with vga on the debugging LED though? but if i wake the monitor it doesnt do it?

maybe a faulty cable can cause things like that ?

0 Likes

got a replacement yesterday for it same issue unfortunately.

0 Likes

motherboard mmh, what are you ram speed ?

0 Likes

RAM is corsair dominator platinum 3600mhz 

0 Likes

running at 3600 i guess , just by curiosity , could you set them to 3200 with not agressive timings and check if the problem persists ?

0 Likes

yeah will try anything.

Just to note though the RAM has been running fine with the vega 64 at 3600. 

0 Likes

yeah i understand , but i witness that from one bios update to another and hardware changes (cpu ?), things can change a lot with ram stability ...

i have 4x4400 CL 18 ram stick , running 3600 CL 16 (currently testing)

i had to put them at 3200 CL 14  and 1.35V to be stable for some months

than 2/3 weeks ago after bios update and hardware changes began to have crashes , set them to 3200 CL 16 and back to normal

and then i tested with 3200 CL 14 again but with 1.4V and it seem to hold it again, and now trying to get 3600 CL16 again with 1.4V etc etc :)

0 Likes

And do you think this is linked to the GPU not sending a signal to the monitor during POST?

As the Pc works flawlessly once i manually turn the monitor on. 

0 Likes

with ram over 3200 and bios updates ... i've seen weird things ,.. first thing is that its your mb that is beeping apparently ...

i just say to check by curiosity ... nothing to loose here

0 Likes

Quick update.. i can replicate the issue just by unplugging the DP cable and booting up.. and just to confirm it is 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. i was wrong in my original post.

So without the DP cable in the PC will turn on and sound 1 long beep and 3 short beeps and also illuminate the VGA debugging LED on the motherboard.

I can confirm it will load windows during this time also as i can blindly enter my password and see my devices load my ICUE profiles.

If i then plug the DP cable back in during this state the monitor displays the Pc logged in to windows however the debugging VGA LED is still illuminated until i restart which it will then boot as normal.

So is there an issue then between the monitor a GPU after a certain amount of time whilst off the signal disappears? and the GPU can no longer sense the monitor? my previous GPU could..

0 Likes

Ok, had to do some stuff. I looked at the replies and you're at the GPU beep code is the issue, forget RAM, forget the comment about CEC. In BIOS enable "Power Loading", disable onboard graphics (not auto), display slot PCIe 1, set bifurcation "Auto", set "Above 4G Decoding" to enable, PCI slot config to auto, UEFI boot is selected obviously for Windows 10, make sure fast boot is off, VGA support to auto, CSM disabled, save and exit. F31 is the latest BIOS for that board, which you did say you were running the latest version. Aside from making sure these settings are as above, you might have a monitor issue that the Vega didn't have. 

"Above 4G Decoding" technically turns SAM on, even with 3000 series CPU's. It won't hurt anything to try it but this is looking like a monitor problem. "Power Loading" fools the board into thinking there's "power good" so it fires up while everything is still booting up, that might be the trick. Try using HDMI if possible to replicate or rule it out. How old is the monitor and what brand/model?

You also said it was difficult to setup the 6900, in what way? It's a GPU at the end of the day, nothing fancy but using DDU to uninstall the driver in "safe mode" with the "shutdown" option enabled after driver removal, then install the card. Boot up, install the 12.2.1 driver package and have fun with the Adrenaline software.

Leave that Gigabyte utility junk off the PC in every form. Causes issues. I've had a lot of Gigabyte hardware and their "utilities" are problematic. I always adjust everything from BIOS or from Adrenaline software. With the 6000 series GPU's Afterburner is a no-go, MSI made a newer version that seems proprietary to their cards now.

0 Likes

Thanks for looking into it..

The monitor is a Samsung ue32h850.

I will try what you've said, however the motherboard should not sound the long beep andn3 short beeps even when there is no monitor plugged in to the gpu should it?

It wasn't difficult setting up the gpu, it's just ive had this issue since installing the 6900 xt.

0 Likes

BN46-00573A-Eng.pdf (samsung.com) That's the manual. Samsung's have always been a "problem child" with PC's. I returned one a while ago because of color problems. Yours seems to only play nice with certain cards that they list in the manual. It looks like you would need to only use the "basic" FreeSync not the "Ultimate", then stand on your head, spin around, lol. Seriously it's a monitor issue. The card is fine. Read the manual at that link and then find what works best. I would say leaving the monitor on, no "power saving" anything and manually turning the display off/on is best for your case. Why it trips the board? No display connected is being sensed. As you say, you can blindly enter Windows. 

0 Likes

Tried the settings suggested, left the pc turned off the monitors standby light was flashing as normal, woke up to it this morning the light was solid. Tried turning the pc on and 1 long beep and 3 short..

Manually woke the monitor from standby and it was fine.

Going to try a different monitor when i can and see if i get the same results.

0 Likes

Any one else with a 6000 series GPU preferably the 6900 xt.

Just unplug your monitor cable from the GPU and then turn on the pc see if you get any beeps or errors?

0 Likes

I get a light no beeps due to no onboard speaker. If I just plug in the DP, it stays black until I power cycle the monitor. Samsung monitors are a pain in my opinion. Look at the manual, it only lists certain cards as working with different types of FreeSync. It should work automatically or offer one type of FreeSync. Basic or Premium, but even newer models don't use that terminology. The monitor just isn't recognizing that card or vise versa all the time. Try it with an HDTV via HDMI if you have one, see if it does it. I'm using a Sceptre 32" 1800R I picked up for $250. It's a 1080p at 185Hz which is my preferred resolution, however, they offer it in a 1440p as well, same price. 

Really depends on how particular you are with regards to "eye candy" or response time and gameplay. Monitors are made by about 5 companies and rebranded/programmed for various manufacture's specs. So brand isn't as important as how the programming and screen type are. Simpler the better. 

0 Likes

just very odd to me, never had cards in the past cause an error on the motherboard just because no cable is connected to the GPU.

I will try it on my TV which again is a Samsung Q90R.

0 Likes

You can't win, lmao! Samsung TV, monitor, sigh. That beep code thing, you could ask gigabyte about but I'm sure it's nothing but lack of display warning. In any case non lethal to the PC.

0 Likes

Seems I have solved it.

The GPU was running off 1 PCIE cable which branches off into 2 x 8 pin at the end.

I instead used 2 separate PCIE cables and left it over night came to it in the morning and the monitor came on first time i turned the pc on.

Didnt think anything of it really as my Vega 64 has been running with the same single cable which has 2 x 8 pin connectors on the end.

Fingers crossed it stays working.

Interesting. I was going to say to try adding another power off a different port but i figured if the PSU has one 12v rail, it doesn't matter. However, if you have a split 12v rail, it would matter.

0 Likes

I just thought maybe it wasnt getting enough power off the single cable.

the PSU is a Corsair RM1000i if that helps with rails?

Glad it's all sorted now, link to picture below.

6900xt 

0 Likes

i have exactly the same pb, cold start with beep and no signal to monitor. no pb before with my nvidia 1080

Just have a 6900xt since yesterday, have a ryzen 3700x/32go ram3200mhz gskill//mb gygabyte aorus pro x570 last bios f31 and a monitor samsung 32ghg7 display port/ alim seasonic 750w prime

edit : ok i dont see the post below, i was using 2 cables(not one like the author) from my psu to supply the graphic card but since i change the rail for one to a different place, seem to do the trick no pb since , keep finger close

0 Likes

Glad you managed to sort yours out as well. it puzzled me until i realised i was running a multi rail on the PSU.

0 Likes
renaatski
Adept I

I have the same issue with a AMD RX 6800 XT  card, and my LG 27GL850 monitor

A cold boot (like first in the morning) will take forever to finish. The white VGA QLED on my Asus mobo remains lit, and the screen stays black. after a few minutes, all of a sudden, the window login screen will show up. (faster if i unplug/replug the monitor)

Shutting down the PC, and rebooting it after an hour or so... no problem! but leaving it overnight... issueThe event log shows that windows experience issues while starting "a driver"..

For now, I just click my monitor joystick once before I start the PC. No issues for cold boots then.  I'm thinking the RX6800xt just doesn't wait long enough for a monitor to report back after deep sleep, or isn't sending the right wake up signal to the monitor on Display port

I had posted about this problem on this forum last month, but untfortunately, I seemed to be the only one... until now

I'm actually already running two separate PCI-E power cables to my corsair RM850x PSU by the way...

I will try and switch one of the connectors to another slot on my PSU. I'm not sure what you mean with "rails"..

0 Likes