cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

dtdman420
Adept II

Re: 6900 XT high idle memory clock

If I put my monitor to anything above 100 refresh rate, even 120, that is when the mem clock goes up.

Samsun G5 34' ultra wide 3440x1440 

0 Likes
TCK
Adept I

@MisterEHi, sorry for the delay, working a lot lately!

Here they are, both screens are VA.

The main screen, 32" 1440P 144Hz

Timing Info - Horizontal - Vertical
Total - 2720 - 1481
Display - 2560 - 1440
Front Porch - 48 - 3
Sync Width - 32 - 5
Polarity - Positive - Negative

Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive
G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 580070
G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 143.998
HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled
Current Link Settings - 5.4 Gbps x 4
FreeSync Range - 48 to 144 Hz reported by display

The secondary screen, 27" 1440P 144Hz

Timing Info - Horizontal - Vertical
Total - 2666 - 1543
Display - 2560 - 1440
Front Porch - 8 - 25
Sync Width - 32 - 8
Polarity - Positive - Negative

Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive
G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 592000
G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 143.912
HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled
Current Link Settings - 5.4 Gbps x 4
FreeSync Range - 48 to 144 Hz reported by display

And answering the other question, the card speed up the clock at any refresh timing but 60Hz in both screens. I've just tried 60/100/120/144, did not try anything like 75, 80 etc.

0 Likes
MisterE
Adept I

@TCK 

So I found the Reddit threads.

This is the one that tipped me off to using CRU:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dr5bxt/i_solved_my_max_memory_clocks_at_144hz_problem/?utm_med...

The second actually links to the first but has a little more info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/g8em5l/5700_xt_high_memory_clock_fix_144hz_1750mhz/

This issue has been frequently reported, even in these forums:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/high-vram-clock-always/td-p/265427

The trick in CRU will be to create a 144 MHz setting with as much blanking as possible without exceeding the pixel clock of the monitors. I confess the clocks on your monitors seem lower than what I experience (600+).

One of the original Reddit thread posters had this to say:

• Display link standards (DVI, HDMI, DP) have maximum bandwidth limits

• Sometimes the bandwidth needed for a given resolution is slightly higher than the link allows for

• Display manufacturer reduces amount of "blanking" pixels, which are at least partly a vestigial remnant from CRT days. This lowers the overall bandwidth so it will fit over the link.

• GPU can only change it's GDDR clock speeds during that blanking period. But the blanking period has been reduced to almost nothing, so it goes to full speed since there are insufficient gaps to adjust the speed on the fly.

It's hard to tell if a multi-monitor set up will work. A lot of people haven't had much success. It would be interesting to know if you can pull off a lower clock with just your main monitor (not your goal, I know).

Sorry I  can't provide a definitive answer. If you do manage to get a setting to work, definitely post it as there are ALOT of people looking for working scenarios.

I got tired of the trial and error on my backup gaming system, so I just live with the notch down to 120 MHz (VRAM clock sits at 300 MHz at idle).

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
TCK
Adept I

@MisterEthanks for pointing out the threads, I will be off on the weekend and then I will take a look at it and give a try.

0 Likes
TCK
Adept I

@MisterEHi! I've tried a bunch of possible settings and I believe it just does not work with dual screens. I will trying, but the solution for now is keeping both screens at 60Hz.

Thanks for trying to help.

jo3yization
Adept I

I was troubleshooting this last month on my RX 6700 XT & ended up using a German thread for instructions on what to do. All the info/mini-guide available here: https://youtu.be/HopKkK0Ei40 ^_^

0 Likes
TCK
Adept I

Hi @jo3yization thanks for the suggestion. I am not really hopeful it will work with a dual screen setup but I will try and report back!

jo3yization
Adept I

No worries, and yeah it might not allow very low downclocking, but I think getting ~half speed clocks would be very possible, you'd have to make sure to increase blanking on both active monitor profiles & the values would be different for different model monitors, much higher chance of it working well with good cables & the same model. Good luck!

0 Likes
liakoulee
Adept II

Check the new driver out (21.6.1). 

It fixed the always max mem clock for me, ahtough running a one monitor setup.

0 Likes
TCK
Adept I

Sadly it did not work for me. I saw some people mentioning this around Reddit and OC.net but as I am with dual screen it did not work. But I am glad it was addressed for the people using 01 screen!

0 Likes