cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

caligula5555
Adept I

6900 XT: Failed after 6 days? Looking for additional troubleshooting.

Hey, so as the title implies, I turned my PC on this morning (after using it problem-free since the PC was built Feb 17th) only to see a blank screen and an error code displayed on my motherboard.  The code was "d6" and the mobo is an MSi X570 Unify using the lastest BIOS (7C35vA8).  That code refers to "No Console Output Devices are found", and it also illuminates an EZ Debug LED for the VGA, indicating the GPU is not detected or failed.

The night before I was playing games with no issues.  Temps were normal (from what I can tell) for a reference card running at 144Hz.  I shut down the PC like normal, with no issues.

Stuff I did to isolate whether the problem is with the mobo, GPU, or PSU:

- Tried the previous BIOS; made no difference.

- Swapped the 6900 XT to the PCIE_2 slot; same errors displayed.

- Attempted to run an much older VGA card in PCIE_1 (an ATi Radeon HD 4850; it's all I have available); was able to display a message on the monitor that "there is no GOP (graphics output protocol)".  Given it can display a message, the slot and power connections seem to work.

- Checked PSU voltages at the PCI-E connections by backprobing with a Fluke DMM; 12V is present on all pins.  Additionally, all pumps/fans/case buttons are functional, indicating correct voltages across the board.

-Observed that the red "RADEON" logo is not illuminating anymore.  It will briefly flash when the system is powered off hard (holding the power button).

So all that work tells me that the PSU is supplying the correct voltages to the GPU, that the PCIE_1 slot is operational, and that the error codes displayed are in fact indicating a failed VGA card.  Are there any other tests I can try to confirm a failed component?  Or have I exhausted what I can do with what I have?  I don't have a spare PSU to try, but based on what I've tested, have some confidence it's working as designed.

Other possibly relevant system specs are a 5900X CPU and a Seasonic Focus GX-850 PSU.  I would have preferred a 1000W, but they're all sold out.  The 6900 XT only pulled a max of 250W during gaming anyway.  Both PCI-E cables are individual runs from the PSU (not chained/linked).

12 Replies
Scottx125
Adept I

Known issue. It happens on my Asus X570 mobo. Sometimes it beeps with a D6 error, but it still boots. Sometimes it doesn't happen. Upgrading to a new bios reduced how much it happened. Def a driver issue thought.

Well mine isn't booting at all.  It has no graphical output whatsoever.  No splashscreen, no Del for setup, nothing on the monitor at all.  Every time I've tried to boot today (which was a lot).

Two other things to point out.  This is a brand-new build (first boot was 2/17), so every driver and bit of s/w is the newest available for my hardware.  And for additional troubleshooting, I did clear the CMOS several times.  I know it worked after the first clearing because I could hear that my semi-quiet PWM fan profiles were replaced with the default higher (and louder) fan speed.

It really seems like the GPU is dead and essentially not installed as far as the mobo is concerned. Trying the two DP as well as the HDMI ports changes nothing.

You say you get the error but it still boots?  What sort of frequency do you see this issue?  How many boots would it take before you had a clean boot?

Mine is doing the same thing.

Turn on, D6 error appears, then pc continues to boot up just fine. It's mostly from a cold start and never from a reset. (very strange indeed).

I've tried reverting back to an older GPU driver and the problem remains.

Also, removed gpu and re installed, removed Ram and re installed, updated my Bios to latest version and unplugged, plugged in all cables. 

The D6 error REMAINS! 

Hopefully we will have an answer soon...

0 Likes
Thanny
Miniboss

The only other test I'd want to do in your place before considering the GPU definitely dead is trying it in another motherboard.

0 Likes

Unfortunately I don't have access to a somewhat up to date system, but I did pop it into an older functional PC with a PCIe 2.0x16 slot, and it didn't display anything there either.  It behaved the same as in my new build; no display output whatsoever, no illumination, and fans spinning.

I'm in contact with AMD for a warranty claim.  I'll see how that goes.  I still find the whole situation bizarre.

0 Likes

This is just a guess.

Try to remove the 6900xt from the computer and instert it again.
Push it hard into the pcie slot you should hear a click when its locked.
Run two pcie cables from the power supply to your graphics card instead of only using one cable.. some people say this have helped them with other problems.

Also try to pull out hte power cable to your computer and hold the power on button for 1 minute.
This will drain all power out of your computer and empty all ram 100%.
Sometimes things can be stuck in memory and this can help on some issues when pc's dont want to post. ( sometimes ).

Alternative you can also try to reset your CMOS
Remove the power cable and hold a screwdriver to to pins on the motherboard ( look in your manual ) CMOS reset
You can also after this try to remove the battery for 5 minutes.

If you have allot of usb stuff connected to your pc or 2 montior try to startup without so much connected to test if that is a problem.. Maybe also change your screen to a lower hz  and turn off vsync and such features.. to test if that make a difference.
Alternative you can try with another HDMI cable inbetween your graphics card and monitor.. HDMI cables are not just HDMI cables your new graphic card have the best of the beest, your cable to your pc might reduce performance and create problems.
But take my words with a gram of salt im no expert in cables i just know there is a difference.
Same with DP cables

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions; it's still broke though.  I was able to try most of these.  To address your points:

- It's been inserted and removed many times.  In fact, I had to shim my mobo spacers 1mm to get the I/O panel centered; prior to that, I felt that the GPU was not fully seating (due to the distance between the PCI slot lip and the GPU mobo header.  Shimming worked to get the GPU seated properly.

- I do have two independent cables running from the PSU to the GPU; nothing daisy chained.

- Before removing/installing the card all those times, I did switch off the PSU and hit the power button on the mobo to drain residual power.

- I also cleared the CMOS several times, as well as tried to rollback the BIOS.  Didn't remove the battery, but I know the CMOS was cleared because my fan profiles had reverted to the noisier stock profiles.

- Not a lot of USB present, and only one 3440x1440 144Hz monitor.  During troubleshooting, I had reduced the USB stuff to just mouse and keyboard.  I did not try to mess with adaptive sync on the 1440p monitor, but I don't think it would make much difference, since I didn't get any output on a 1080p 60Hz monitor when I was testing if the HDMI port worked.  I agree that cables do matter, and I specifically purchased a DP-certified Accell 8K DP cable for this new build.  In regards to that, I did also try the other DisplayPort ports (monitor and PC), as well as the DP cable that shipped with the monitor.

I tried quite a bit because like I said before, it's pretty weird (and disappointing).  The warranty claim was approved, but now I'm waiting for stock.  Again haha.  Based on the feedback here so far, It's good to know I covered most of the areas initially.

I would try the card in another system first, might as well be the CPU or motherboard.
Had the same issues with an 1080 and a new 3700x, after getting the CPU replaced by AMD everything worked fine.

0 Likes

Also, try powering the system up with NO video card installed. Yes, let it freak out and beep you to death. Power down, insert card and try again. It's my version of hitting it with a hammer.

Haha, Well, I've tried everything else so this looks like the only option I have left. Hammer time! 

0 Likes

Original poster here.  Do you have integrated graphics as backup?  I don't, so my "d6" brought everything to a black-screened halt.  To close out my tale, I sent mine back, got an exact replacement, and it's been working great (higher idle temps than I'd like [53C/57C as I write this], but so far I've read that's normal with high refresh monitors).

I never found out exactly what made mine crap out.  I had zero setup changes between the bad card and new good card, and the new card has been 100% happy.  Those other two recent suggestions are good to try too.

If you do have to start working with AMD Support, start sooner than later.  They're pretty slow; I usually got one message/reply per day, even if I replied quickly.  By the time I went through the troubleshooting process, sent my card back, and waited for them to send a replacement, about a month had passed.  And that was me gently pressing them.  I've heard GPU availability has only worsened, though as I haven't been hunting for one recently, that might not be true.  Good luck!

0 Likes

So your AMD Warranty replacement RX6900XT fixed the problem. You should mark your last reply as "Solution" so other Users will be aware what you needed to do to fix your GPU issue.

Good troubleshooting by the way.

0 Likes