cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Ezin
Adept I

6900 XT Black Screen [Help]

Hi, I meet a black screen problem while playing games. I have to reboot every time.. Is there any way to solve this?

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: ASUS TUF RX 6900 XT GAMING OC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

BIOS Version: 3001

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series 32GB 4000mhz (2 x 16GB)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000 80+ Gold

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Home (x64)

GPU Drivers: 21.20.25.01-210824a-371001E-RadeonSoftware

Description of Original Problem: Monitor goes black(lose signal) sometimes when I playing Cyberpunk 2077. At first, I thought this is a game issue with optimization fault. But I notice it happens more and more frequently. It even happened once after I playing Overwatch for multiple hours. Another problem is that it also has a howling noise especially when playing Overwatch.

I did not find any critical error in system event. System is clean, no third party driver or programs. After upgrade the driver, this problem is still not solved. I use 2 PCIe cables, all cables are original. And the only OC I made is to tune RAM to 4000mhz. I used HWiNFO64 to log the GPU metric until it crashed. But it looks good to me, I cannot find the issue from it. LINK https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CuwxZ_qjgS0pqgEn6ZQnpIkDn8PiMYTqjxJcmaW9D0U/edit?usp=sharing

I also checked some settings. "Radeon Image Sharpening" I have already disabled and not work. Freesync I did not enable it. I see many same issues in the forum... So it looks like a normal issue?? Should I try to submit RMA?

0 Likes
9 Replies
EFermi
Miniboss

Seems like overheat maybe? And the howling noise are fans? 

Otherwise, yep, that's a warranty if I've seen one.

0 Likes

The hot spot temp is less than 90 and others temp are less than 70. So temp should be fine. As for howling noise, it is a little different.  It sounds more like a electricity hum, so I guess it is related with PSU. But compared to the black screen, noise is nothing..

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I see your GPU is overclocked out of the box, try lowering the core clock 50-100Mhz and see if the crashes stop.
0 Likes

! Just noticed the Auto tuning in Radeon Software was selected. Does it make the GPU overlocked? Cuz I remember I have not set any OC in BIOS.. Thanks for reminding!

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Automatic Tuning should be on default.
0 Likes

My last post makes me like a moron.. This card is a OC edition...

My auto Tuning setting was on default before I last post. I tried to set to manual and disable all the options. Nothing changed, it was still working around 2500 mhz during gaming. But if I tried to stress test, it only reached 2300 mhz. IDK why it has two different clock between test and gaming.

So how should I turn the clock down? 

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please make sure you are using 21.9.1. 

Open Radeon Software and go to the Performance > Tuning Tab. 

Expand the GPU chevron icon.

amdmatt_0-1631701347329.png

Under the Tuning preset menu, select Custom. 

amdmatt_1-1631701448317.png

Set GPU Tuning to enabled, and enter 2350/2450Mhz as the MIN and MAX clock frequency. This is based on your stock clock being 2500Mhz as you indicated above.

I recommend taking 50-100Mhz off the MAX clock frequency of your GPU as shown in this menu. 

amdmatt_2-1631701559886.png

Click Apply located in the upper right hand corner to apply the changes. 

amdmatt_3-1631701593765.png

Test.

Thanks for your reply. I changed max frequency to 2400mhz and did test. The problem is still not solved... Gonna try much lower and see what happen.

And the unstable scenario happens randomly. There is no pattern for it. But at least, playing at a lower frequency makes it more stable. Should I also tune the voltage and fan speed? Temp seems fine and fan typically works at 30%.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I would look at your memory frequency and timings next. If it is running any higher than 3200Mhz then that is considered overclocking and it could be causing stability issues. 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series 32GB 4000mhz (2 x 16GB)

The fact you have it running at 4000Mhz could be causing your issue. Put your memory back to default timings and use frequency 2133Mhz to see if the crashes stop.