cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Ian_Kreitler
Adept I

6800XT crashing

i bought a 6800xt direct from amd. initially it worked just fine, i could play any game i had no issues. now when i play anything i get a "this application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" message. have up to date amd drivers (20.11.2) did a full windows 10 reset fully updated, ran the system file checker. nothing i do has made this problem better. i have swapped cards to a msi 1650 super and had no issues at all. have sent many bug reports most times it crashed.

system specs

I7 9700K

msi gaming edge z390

crucial ballistix 3200 ddr4 16G

thermaltake 750W gold 

rx 6800 xt (bought from amd)

any input would be greatly appreciated 

update, ran DDU in safemode, completely deleted amd drivers.

checked if game would run, ( it did but obviously very poorly,) but i was able to get further along in the game with no crashing at all. i reinstall amd software followed by reboot, checked to see if i play, still crashes once i get to the main menu. not really sure where to go, have a tech support ticket out to amd still waiting on them.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Update, I worked with amd tech support, they said card was bad and rma it, just got replacement put back in and it works flawless, so yeah original card was faulty out of the box.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
BloodlettinG
Adept I

I also have issue with gigabyte rx6800xt. It also works fine for a couple of hours then it gives crash report window and my game auto close and when I start the game again I see alot of lines flashing on the game. All the games with rendering shadows and graphics required have issues like this when I play. However when I go on windows or watch film no random lines flashing. I did also what you have done to the extent installing fresh windows and fresh amd driver. Take a look at the photos I take as an example of the problem. Was thingking about the graphics card is damage was surprise to read there is also same people have problem with rx6800xt. I hope they update their current drivers, I am suspecting its a bug on amd drivers rendering graphics.Sample random flashing lines.https://esupport.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Quest/2020/11/988277/7.jpg

0 Likes

update number 2

I found that if I lower the max freq % to 75 while keeping power at 100% i was able to actually run a game. tried 80% freq and it crashed immediately. its not an acceptable fix but its a patch until AMD fixes this

This is what AMD is lacking of, driver fail their gpu's. As of now to lessen the random lines tearing on my games I need to lower or disable the shadows option on games and lessen the graphics option of the game. Not a good deal but still waiting for this fix. I always trust AMD but please release a fix on this driver cause it is a driver issue for sure.

@Ian_Kreitler wrote:

update number 2

I found that if I lower the max freq % to 75 while keeping power at 100% i was able to actually run a game. tried 80% freq and it crashed immediately. its not an acceptable fix but its a patch until AMD fixes this

0 Likes

I was experiencing this, very frustrating. I was having a smooth gaming experience until today I couldn't get 5 minutes into a game. Then I remembered I had recently enabled Smart Access Memory recently. So I disabled it. Fixed my issue. Running stable now.

0 Likes

Well it’s been over a month with no solution, have attempted numerous time to get Real tech support but so far all they have said was run ddu and reinstall amd drivers, which I’ve done 4 times, have 20.12.2 currently and still have same issue, anything over 70% freq card and adrenaline crash. Not sure who I should even talk to at amd but quite frustrating. 

0 Likes

Have you checked that both your 8pin power connectors aren’t on the same rail of your PSU? Mine were and my computer was crashing as soon as I’d load a game 

0 Likes

Update, I worked with amd tech support, they said card was bad and rma it, just got replacement put back in and it works flawless, so yeah original card was faulty out of the box.

0 Likes

Going on a week now and card works just fine out of the box, no longer crashing adrenaline. Card was for sure faulty 

0 Likes
jpm2901
Adept I

Hi Ian,

Have you considered the card may be underprowered by the psu?.i would rule this option out first.I posted a thread ("rx cards crashing") in regards to running my 6900 xt on single rail on my psu and it hasnt crashed once since....

John

Amd actually just responded last night, they think the card is faulty, as far as not enough power, it doesn’t happen under a power load only when the frequency is above about 77% and I start a game, any game and it happens immediately, if I limit it 73% I can play for hours and hours. I noticed a frequency spike when a game starts so I’m hoping amd is correct, if after the rma and it still happens I’ll be getting a super flower 1000w platinum

0 Likes

Have you checked that both your 8pin power connectors aren’t on the same rail of your PSU? Mine were and my computer was crashing as soon as I’d load a game.

0 Likes