Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

MX5LD
Adept I

6800XT Black Screen and System Freeze

Hello,

I have a Nitro+ 6800 XT and I have a couple of issues which I think are linked:

• Mousing over video elements - Facebook - for example, causes the screen to flash
  • If flashing occurs too much, both monitors stop updating their frames and I have to hard reset the PC

I'm Running 3600, 6800XT Nitro+, 3000MHz DDR4, Windows 10 64-bit

0 Likes
2 Solutions
rawintellect
Miniboss

What version of the driver are you running? 22.8.2? 22.8.1? 22.7.1? Because all of those have issues that cause it to freeze when running any app that is running hardware acceleration in the background. Try disabling hardware acceleration in Discord, Steam, Battle.net, Chrome and anything else...not a fix but it is a workaround until AMD can sort this out.

View solution in original post

MX5LD
Adept I

For anyone still having flickering issues with Hardware acceleration turned off in browsers, you need to disable experimental features for accelerated rendering.

Go to "about : flags" (remove the spaces) in your browser URL. Here, you should disable anything related to GPU accelerated rendering, sometimes referred to as Hardware Rendering and restart the browser.

In my case the culprit was the Accelerated 2D canvas option. Disabled and my flickering is gone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Have you looked at your systems Event Viewer for logged errors that might point to what your issues is?

what power supply? Are you running separate power cables to each power input on your GPU?

Have you simply tried changing your monitors refresh rate . .then change it back what it's supposed to be? .. even if it's showing that it's the correct refresh rate .. 

I don't have black screens or lock ups .. but I did have the screen flickers/flashes and changing the refresh rate on my main monitor from what it stated as 144hz to 120hz ..saving .. and then back to 144hz fixed that issue

The black screens and freezes could be attributed to your power supply not providing enough power to your GPU .. or at least, not enough power with a single piggy-backed power cable providing enough power to both inputs that can be alleviated by using separate power cables for each power input.

ThreeDee PC specs

I can't really find any errors specific to screen flashing or GPU driver crashing which is what I suspect it is. I have this power supply which is more than enough for my system:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0845YD2TG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My power supply cables are linked through 1 cable which splits. This came with the PSU (I know not to use different or old cables with different power supplys).

I have just applied the frame rate change through Windows settings and Il report back if the issue has disappeared. 

I don't think it's PSU related because the issues do not happen when more wattage is required. For example, it usually only happens when playing media on a browser, or some type of iframe content. Even animated advertisements cause it to be a problem the most. Meanwhile, I can sit and play games and the issue does not appear as long as my game window is in focus. I am certain it is the GPU driver.

I will do a refresh of the drivers if the monitor refresh rate changes haven't solved the problem.

Thanks

0 Likes
MX5LD
Adept I

So I opened my Adrenaline Software this morning and got this. This is all I have:

MX5LD_0-1662632928464.png

Time to reinstall drivers

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Tbh, selecting ANGLE graphic backend to D3D9 solved a lot of flickering and frame drop issues with Chrome for me. You may try to do same

rawintellect
Miniboss

What version of the driver are you running? 22.8.2? 22.8.1? 22.7.1? Because all of those have issues that cause it to freeze when running any app that is running hardware acceleration in the background. Try disabling hardware acceleration in Discord, Steam, Battle.net, Chrome and anything else...not a fix but it is a workaround until AMD can sort this out.

I'm running 22.5.1. My Radeon Andrenaline doesn't show any updates which is rather odd in this case.

Yes, I'd turned it off in Discord and its a lot better now so there must be another app with it on.

0 Likes

What browser do you use? Chrome? Edge? both have hardware acceleration.

0 Likes

I'm using Edge, il disable it in that too. Thanks

0 Likes
MX5LD
Adept I

For anyone still having flickering issues with Hardware acceleration turned off in browsers, you need to disable experimental features for accelerated rendering.

Go to "about : flags" (remove the spaces) in your browser URL. Here, you should disable anything related to GPU accelerated rendering, sometimes referred to as Hardware Rendering and restart the browser.

In my case the culprit was the Accelerated 2D canvas option. Disabled and my flickering is gone.

0 Likes

Can you please tell me step by step how to fix this in google chrome, I have had my AMD 6800 XT with 16GB of ram cause my computer to freeze every few minutes it just freezes just doing simple browsing.  I find it incredibly insane that this could even happen.  I have a macOs 12.4 using Monterey, and it keeps freezing to where I cant use it anymore, so I pulled the video card out and installed an older spare 8GB radeon card I had lying around and that very same computer has zero issues now.  Tried putting the 16gb card back in and same issue of freezing, the funny thing is it worked for almost 2 years with no issues and suddenly started freezing after upgrading to 12.4, but not immediately after upgrading to 12.4, it worked with no issues on 12.4 for about 2 months and then had freezing issues as if either something in the hardware is failing and has bad memory or could be a configuration issue, but i find it hard to believe that configuration issue suddenly appeared 2 months later and i made zero changes to the OS in those 2 months.

0 Likes

Hmm sounds odd.

I just installed Driver 23.4.3 and the issue of flickering has disappeared for me in both Discord and Edge. However here are the steps if you prefer to disable browser related stuff:

1. In your browser type "about : flags" without the two spaces, into the URL box and hit enter.
  2. Find any experiments/flags which are related to accelerated GPU rendering and disable them. The option that worked for me was to disable "Accelerated 2D canvas".
  3. Restart your Browser.

If you are using any other application which uses similar options, disable it in there too. For example, discord uses "Hardware Acceleration" in Settings Cog > Voice & Video > Advanced > Hardware Acceleration.

0 Likes