Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mi3zu69
Adept I

6800XT and Samsung Odyssey G9 240 Hz not working

Hello everyone !

Anyone here using a Samsung Odyssey G9 with RX 6800 or 6800 XT and managed to make it work at 240 hz 10 bit ?

Monitor works at 240 hz in his menu but everytime i switch to 240 hz in windows from grafic card i get flashes artefacts and blank screen till it reverts.

Samsung G9 is updated to latest 1008.1 firmware and i use latest AMD drivers.

I didn't had a AMD grafic card since 7970 and i saw a fix was releassed for the same problem on rtx 3080/3090.

Thanks

19 Replies
mi3zu69
Adept I

Anyone here using a RX 6800 series and Samsung Odyssey Monitor?

Mine and some other people i found on other forums dont work on 240 hz.It is a driver issue that needs to be adressed on DSC.

Anyone? Help...

0 Likes

Samsung Odyssey G9 firmware 1008.1 w/ support for 240Hz - 
You should update the firmware. Also, if the problem exists, you may contact the AMD support team... 
Online Service Request 

EDIT: I have not the monitor. This link is from the nVidia forum page. And same problem exists for nVidia.

0 Likes

Hello and thank you for answer!

The latest firmware it is installed and it fixed Nvidia 240 hz problem for RTX 3000 series but not for AMD RX 6800 series. 

I have found same problem on other forums with Samaung G9 and 6800xt.

It is a driver issue i think. 

https://imgur.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/5U1cHDW

Same issue here, 240hz doesn't work on 6800XT but it did after a driver update on the 3080 to fix the DSC. 

0 Likes

It was more than a driver update from Nvidia...The monitor needed a firmware update also wich was made in colaboration with NVIDIA.

I sold my AMD RX 6800 XT mainly because of this 240 hz problem ,knowing that AMD barely fixxes more serious issues,and the coil whine that developed after 1 week of use.I had the reference model.

I got a good price at a TUF 3080 OC and i dont regret it.

My monitor works without a problem since then.

0 Likes

@mi3zu69 wrote:

Hello and thank you for answer!

The latest firmware it is installed and it fixed Nvidia 240 hz problem for RTX 3000 series but not for AMD RX 6800 series. 

I have found same problem on other forums with Samaung G9 and 6800xt.

It is a driver issue i think. 

https://imgur.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/5U1cHDW

That link shows exactly what I see on my screen too when I switch to 240 hertz. I'm afraid I'm going to have to break my all red build and get a 3090 instead...

0 Likes

I'm going to give AMD some time to get this sorted, since it took Nvidia a bit of time to fix this as well. I got my 3080 on release day and 240hz was broken until 10/20/2020 when they released the hot fix 456.98. Even then G-Sync was still broke, but 240hz was working at that point. 

Hopefully we'll hear something from AMD regarding the issue in the coming weeks. 

0 Likes

Well i know that sucks to not use your monitor at 240 hz..I hope they will fix it soon.

I was pleased by 6800xt performance but on samsung odyssey g9 3080 give me abit better scores and feels smoother that 6800xt.

I wasnt able to use HDR also in many games because of that problem.

You have it also?

0 Likes

Yeah, went from a ASUS TUF 3080 to the 6800xt. 3080 was better performance by a bit (5`-10%) but the ungodly amount of heat that my computer generated was extremely frustrating, so I switched to a 6800xt. I had to do a full Windows install to get the 6800xt to perform without any microstudder, I don't know if there was something else at play that was causing it but even after using DDU it was present. Installed a fresh copy of Windows and the 6800xt has been performing beautifully ever since. 

But yeah, I had to also use 120hz on my Odyssey G9 with my 3080 for the first month of ownership. I also have a 1660 Super that's in another PC that would work perfect with 240hz 5120x1440 so it was something specific in the driver for the 3000 series specifically. 

0 Likes

I have no problem with heat inside at all,using a TUF 3080 with +150 on core and 500 mem i heavent seen it pass 64 degrees ever.

I use a TUF Gt 501 case with 3 x 120 mm fans intake and 1 noctua A14 in the back as exaust and Arctic Freezer Ii 360 on top as cpu cooling.

0 Likes

I just bought a 6900XT and I have the exact same problem outlined here. Has this officially been reported to AMD yet?

0 Likes

They're aware of it, it's in the release notes of the drivers:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-12-2-rgb

• The Samsung™ Odyssey G9 C49G95T may experience display or corruption issues when set to 5120x1440@240hz.

I just found 30 min ago a 6900xt at MSRP..i ll give it another shot to AMD specilay if they fix this.

0 Likes

Yeah, saw this when I was updating last night.  Glad they are tracking it. Since it took Nvidia, what, 45 days after acknowledging the problem I'm hopeful we will see something by MLK weekend. 

0 Likes

AMD fixed the 240hz issue this morning with a driver update. I'm now able to run in 240hz as expected. Perfect!

Thanks AMD

0 Likes

No, the problem is not solved on the current 21.10.4 drivers either. I wrote here how to partially solve the problem.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/samsung-odyssey-g9-49-quot-not-working-at-240-hz-with-...

0 Likes

The problem was finally solved after more than a year. The first correct drivers are 21.11.3 .

0 Likes
Nviron
Journeyman III

I have the exact same problem with the rx6900 XT.

I'm using the 8K DP cable

I updated the drivers and the firmware for the monitor (1008)

Disabled freesync and made sure that the monitor is set to 240 HZ mode.

Still have black screen and artifacts/flickering when switching to 240 HZ in Windows. 

0 Likes