Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Senseight
Adept I

6800 XT driver crashes in Chrome when playing a video

I have 6800 XT with 22.5.1 driver.

Problem-1: When I switch to a tab in chrome that playing a video from any other application in Windows or another tab in chrome, screen goes black. When its black, I switch application with alt+tab it fixes. The driver not crashes in this situation.

Problem-2: When I watch a series in Prime Video in full screen, driver completely crashes for 5 to 10 seconds and screen stays black at this time, after that the screen comes with AMD's bug report tool.

Both problems happening when "hardware acceleration" is enabled on chrome. When it is turned off, there is no problem. Alltough, the browser experience undermined badly when its off. Also, no problems at gaming.

I switched to Mozilla Firefox due to these problems. Its super stable and problemless even if hardware accelaration is enabled.

Any way to fix Chrome problem? Have you guys experienced these problems or its just my PC?

9 Replies
Senseight
Adept I

The problem still exists.

In addition to solution, you should go to "chrome://flags/" and turn Hardware-accelerated video decode and Hardware-accelerated video encode off.

shahabSL
Journeyman III

I have this problem with my RX6900XT too, screen becomes completely black for 30s and only my music is playing in my headset and after that AMD Radeon crash defender comes up with a notification telling it prevented a crash and I can report it to AMD, btw I did report it. It does not matter I either use 22.5.1 or any newer or older driver, it crashes with no reason, you can prevent it by turning hardware acceleration off but it does not make any sense since we should be able to use our GPU in browsing.

SuperJohn
Journeyman III

i have problem with my RX 6800 XT stutering problems

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Try to disable MPO. It have good chance of helping for you all.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

0 Likes
SkyNet800
Journeyman III

Same problem with my Gigabyte RX 6800 (non XT)

The problem is while viewing videos in Chrome and even during Zoom calls with video sharing, using wallpaper engine...etc...
The problem rises during first minutes from reboot, and if the driver recovers then no more black screen problems hapends until next reboot, but the games don't run smoothly if I try to play after blackscreen and not reboot.

The problem does not happeneds during playing games (with high graphics demand) so the power suply or the graphics card hardware or any other hardware problem doesn't look to be the problem. Just in Desktop during video playbacks and low GPU/CPU usage.

The only way to recover the driver (instead of reset machine) is to plug out and then in again all screens a few times and then the drivers respond again.

This is very annoying.

My Config:
Intel i7 9700
32 GB Ram
PSU Corsair RM 850 (using 2 different wires for each Graphic card connectors)
MB gigabyte b360 hd3 (PCI-E 16x 3.0 not 4.0)
Screen Samsung UltraWide 49" (C49RG90SSR) 5120 x 1440 - 120Hz
FreeSync tried ON and OFF and same problem in both

0 Likes
CloroxMan
Journeyman III

Hi I also have this issue, Can you guy's let me know if you have multiple monitor setup?  I notice I have this issue when I plug more than 1 monitor. I want to confirm if this is true.  

My bad, it still crashes

0 Likes
Anoriand
Adept I

Try the usual, reinstall Chrome and AMD driver and be sure it's up to date afterwards.

The Super Saiyan barrier... Yeah, I've gone far beyond that!
0 Likes
thanosades
Journeyman III

Same here OP. Started happening 2 days ago with my 6600 while watching Twitch.

0 Likes