cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

BurdWelf
Adept I

6700XT detection won't let primary monitor turn off

Weird quirk I'm trying to troubleshoot, but not having any luck so far. Possibly due to my inability to accurately describe what's going on, so I haven't found any troubleshooting steps online for this specific issue. So figured I'd try my best to describe what's going on here, in hopes the community could offer me some guidance:

New 6700XT reference card won't "let" my primary monitor stay off.

My Power settings are set to High Performance w/ Display Turn off set to 15 Minutes, & PC sleep set to Never.

When my monitors turns off after 15 minutes, the red Radeon led flashes on the gpu, and seems to send a 'detect' signal to my monitor. Which then briefly lights it up before going dark again. From there it just loops.  Is there a setting/toggle I'm missing somewhere? Any ideas where else to look/try? System is fully patched and drivers are up to date.

Apologies for the dark/grainy video.  But you should still be able to see what I'm experiencing:

*EDIT- added link to the video since it looks like it hasn't been approved/processed yet

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y6JD8zjXrWgvY5T78 

0 Likes
1 Solution

This SuperUser forum User had a similar issue, not quite the same as your but similar in the respect the Monitor wouldn't turn off.

Most mentioned that they had some USB hardware connected or some other hardware connected that was preventing the monitor from turning off and other reasons: https://superuser.com/questions/1627985/windows-10-display-wont-sleep-turn-off-tried-everything

So I would disconnect all USB hardware and see if the Monitor turns off without going into a loop.

If it still does it then enter into a Clean Windows Desktop which you disable all 3rd party startups and services and see if the monitor goes off and stays off. Could be a background service running that is preventing the monitor to turn off. Easy to do and undo from here: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

If you enter into a Clean Windows Desktop and the Monitor turns off and stays off until you hit the keyboard then start enabling what you disabled in way to narrow down which program is preventing your monitor to stay on.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

This SuperUser forum User had a similar issue, not quite the same as your but similar in the respect the Monitor wouldn't turn off.

Most mentioned that they had some USB hardware connected or some other hardware connected that was preventing the monitor from turning off and other reasons: https://superuser.com/questions/1627985/windows-10-display-wont-sleep-turn-off-tried-everything

So I would disconnect all USB hardware and see if the Monitor turns off without going into a loop.

If it still does it then enter into a Clean Windows Desktop which you disable all 3rd party startups and services and see if the monitor goes off and stays off. Could be a background service running that is preventing the monitor to turn off. Easy to do and undo from here: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

If you enter into a Clean Windows Desktop and the Monitor turns off and stays off until you hit the keyboard then start enabling what you disabled in way to narrow down which program is preventing your monitor to stay on.

Thanks a bunch, i will give this a shot. My primary monitor does have a usb hub built in that currently it, and my headphone dongle are currently connected to, so maybe there's something to this.

per the article linked, I tried the usb thing. Unfortunately it was a no go.
But seeing the OP's mention of Geforce Experience overlay, I looked into Adrenalin's preferences and disabled In-Game Overlay.
BOOM, that appears to have been the culprit.
I disabled overlay, and changed the monitor sleep time to 1 minute, for faster testing.
Sure enough, my displays went to sleep without issue, and the gpu stopped flashing the Radeon LED & 'pinging' the monitor.
Issue has been resolved.
And no biggie for me, I don't typically use any overlays.
But if anyone else is experiencing this, try disabling your overlay!

Thanks for the help!

I would open a AMD Support ticket and let them know, that at least, in your computer setup Radeon Overlay prevented the Monitor from going to sleep or turn off from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Possibly it is just something in your PC that causing the AMD Overlay from preventing the Monitor from turning off but maybe AMD Support can try and duplicate the problem and see if it happens with them also.