cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mokimu
Adept I

6700 XT Black Screen In App and Window

Hello, when i open an application or a window, sometimes everything goes black. It fixes itself when i restart windows explorer.

System info

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHZ 35MB AM4 65W
Asus PRIME B550M-K DDR4 S+V+GL AM4
Asus TUF-RX6700XT-O12G-GAMING 12GB 192Bit GDDR6
Kingston HyperX 16GB 3200Mz D4 RGB DDR4 CL16
Kingston A2000 500GB 2200/2000 MB/s NVMe M.2
Cooler Master MWE 650W 80+Bronze 

I installed windows with different usb and different iso, i tried old and new driver (Adrenalin 21.5.2 Optional, Adrenalin 21.4.1 Recommended (WHQL), Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.3.1 Recommended (WHQL) ) . Windows updated, Chipset updated. I didn't encounter any problem in safe mode .

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKVxBSMRj_M&ab_channel=Gojuu

IMG-20210606-WA0016.jpgIMG-20210602-WA0002.jpg53453453453.png

22 Replies
USATIYDIT
Journeyman III

omg

0 Likes
mokimu
Adept I

up

0 Likes
mokimu
Adept I

When I open the game there is no problem. When I turn it off, it turns black again.

0 Likes
kshutch00
Adept III

A good way to test if its the driver is to use Winkey+Ctrl+Shift+B

Press them all at the same time and it resets your graphics driver.

If the issue is gone then, its likely something in the driver.  If its not, it may be something in Windows or a hardware issue.

Still same. I ll update bios. 

0 Likes

"I didn't encounter any problem in safe mode"

I am pretty sure windows loads its base vga drivers in safe mode.  To see it working there though could still be a driver, hardware, or windows issue, which makes it hard to troubleshoot.

It could still be the driver since the driver is loaded in safe mode and the issue does not happen.  It could still be hardware since the driver is not loaded that card is not likely being utilized at is full potential and so is not reaching the point of failure.  It could still be windows since safe mode does not load anything outside of bare necessity.

Maybe try using msconfig (start->search->msconfig) and turn off all services not microsoft related or related to your Radeon drivers.  Also turn off all startup items not related to Radeon.  See if the issue still occurs in normal windows to try and help cancel out if its something else running in windows causing it.

Also, are you seeing anything in your event viewer in relation to this?

Lastly, updating the card bios is probably a good idea...it may help.  I would also run DDU in safemode and remove the drivers and then reinstall back in normal windows them if none of the above is showing any results.  

0 Likes

I deleted the driver in safe mode with ddu and installed the old and new driver still same. After bios update still same, there is nothing about that moment in event viewer. I disabled non amd app etc. on msconfig still same.  

0 Likes

Interesting thing is when the game is open there is no problem 

My last guess would be to run an sfc /scannow from an elevated cmd prompt to make sure no system files are having an issue.

search->"cmd", right click and open as admin

type: sfc /scannow

Beyond that...not really sure how else to narrow that down if there are no errors, no discernable clues beyond safe mode, which again, does not actually narrow this down.

Other things to consider but seem unlikely:  swapping the cable connecting the monitor, using a different cable type, running DDU again, extract the Radeon drivers but do not install them, then install them through device manager->display adpater->right click->properties->update driver and point to the location of the extracted drivers.

If you have another drive, it may worth trying to install windows on a different drive to see if the issue persists on a new install to rule out windows.  Prior to that, you can at least rule out your specific user profile by creating a new user and logging in as that user to see if the issue persists.

0 Likes

I did sfc scannow still same, tried different usb&iso pro and home still same. Tomorrow ill try with hdmi cable and windows repair. If still same i will send technical service.  I will write the reason when the problem is solved  Thank's for help. 

Did you fix the issue yet, i can't find any solution for this issue.

0 Likes

I'm indeed waiting as well if the problem is solvable. 

An alternative half-fix I've found for the issue is by enabling the performance metrics (Ctrl+Shift+O). If I enable these metrics using an application that causes black screens, the issue kind of disappears. So it should be a driver issue I suppose by that logic.

GPU: ASUS Dual RX 6700 XT 12GB

0 Likes

Last week I finished my new build, same GPU that is mentioned in the thread.
When everything was set, I started facing the black screen issue while using various software (e.g. installing vst plugins, or using software for photo editing or even using the Ryzen DRAM calculator) and every now and while browsing the screen was flickering for about a second.

A couple of times, when the problem persisted, the whole screen went black and had to restart the pc.

Have not faced an issue while gaming though but unfortunately I am not using my pc only for gaming.

I've tried every mumbo jumbo I thought that might have had anything to do with it.

Swapped the ram sticks (Kingston) with my old ones (G skill), tried my old PSU, replaced the double split cable with two cables, tried every combination in Adrenaline software, messed with BIOS, reduced the frequency to what AMD is giving as maximum boost, replaced the display port cable with hdmi, deactivated freesync, uninstalled the drivers in safe mode with DDU and re-installed them.

Nothing seemed to work until today. This time I tried the later for once more, but this time instead of installing the drives via the AMD software, I did it with windows update.

For the past 7 hour, everything seem to work just fine and I have not encountered any of the black screen issues.

I might be missing the Adrenaline features, but at least the computer seem to be fully functional.

Ryzen 7 5800X / Asus TUF 6700XT / Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz / Gigabyte Aorus Pro X570S AX

0 Likes

@3manon How did You exactly install Your drivers?

I would like to do that as well if the problem for You has been fixed.

GPU: ASUS DUAL RX6700XT 12GB

0 Likes

@PicassopaC unfortunately it was so good to be true. I guess I got lucky for a day and then the problem reappeared. 

Since then, I replaced my dp cable with a new one verified as 8k and in my eyes it seems that it got a little bit better. The flickering is there, every now and then, but not as often as it used to be. 

0 Likes

there is no solution at this issue. if you look at this forum or reddit or youtube, most of 6700 owners have the same problem. I personally think it is a conflict between windows composer and amd driver because if you use Linux or Windows Safe mode, issue disappear. By the way it seems nor AMD neither Microsoft care about us. Next GPU I will buy Nvidia for sure.

0 Likes

I use an interpreter.
I tried almost all of these - the problem is the same as everyone else's. Very disappointed, I didn't have any problems with my old R9 380 video card.

My config

Windows 11
INTEL Core™ i5 11400F
MSI MAG B560M Bazooka
G.Skill DDR4-3200 16384MB PC4-25600
Kingston NV1 500GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4
Chieftec A-90 GDP-650C

Mon. Dell S2721DGFA
Asus TUF-RX6700XT-O12G-GAMING 12GB

0 Likes

Finally, the flickering has stopped.

I had figured a solution by reducing the Hz of the monitor from 144 to 120 and the issue was occurring rarely and not on a daily basis. Sure, the problem was still there but at least the pc was functional.

Last week I decided to update my monitor (not because of the flicker issue) so I swapped my AOC 24g2u (144hz) for a Xiaomi Mi 2K Gaming monitor at 165Hz.

Magically with the new monitor, the flicker has gone. 7 days in a row and I have not faced an issue once, while the monitor is running at 165Hz.

0 Likes

I think you had a different problem as the monitor was flickering not the gpu. I have tried a lot of monitors and nothing changed. In another topic a user replied me with a workaround to delete power saving features of amd gpus with an external program (MorePowerTool). Not so simple to use. Basically when GPU is light (or not) used, AMD power saving mode interferes and reduce clock speed. The issue started aroung 2013, never solved by AMD.

0 Likes

Things may be as you say, but the monitor is still running fine on my old PC and its 1070ti.
I am leaning towards a drivers-windows conflict + Hz issue + God knows what else

0 Likes

Nvidia doesn't use power saving plans, at least not inside gpu firmware. By the way, how can an old monitor have freesync feature?

0 Likes
AGras
Journeyman III

Fellows, I had the same issue, I bought 3 units of 6700 xt ASUS DUAL and all of them had the same problem,  so I had to change them to the seller. They gave me a 6700 xt but the ensambler in this case is ASRock, the model is the CHALLENGER Dual

Honestly, whit this model I dont have the issue, it seems that the batch of ASUS DUAL models have the problem from factory. 

My advise, change the brand or model of the GPU

0 Likes