Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DarkReaper
Adept I

5700XT WHEA Uncorrectable Error with Newer Drivers

Crosspost from Reddit

tl;dr: 20.12.1 corrupted my Windows installation and new installations would give me a WHEA Uncorrectable Error. Confirmed old drivers did not do this.

The new AMD 20.12.1 completely nuked my computer. My computer was working completely fine until I attempted to update to the newest driver. It was so bad that it completely corrupted my Windows installation and I could not even enter safe mode.

When I reinstalled Windows, I installed 20.12.1 again. The moment it installed, it would periodically crash, but it would ALWAYS crash when I rebooted or entered sleep mode, giving me a BSOD WHEA Uncorrectable Error.

To prove that it is bad drivers, I used AMD Cleanup Utility and see if I can recreate the BSOD with no drivers. No BSOD, so we know the error is driver related.

I reinstalled an older driver I knew worked for sure, 20.7.1. Sure enough, no BSOD.

I can't believe this driver was so bad that it could corrupt my entire Windows setup. Surely I cannot be the only one with this issue.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I tried 20.11.2, which is what Adrenalin recommends. Same issue with the BSOD WHEA Uncorrectable Error. I don't know which version it is exactly that caused this issue but 20.7.1 had no issues. Unbelievable.

Edit 2: I did further testing and 20.10.1 works with no issue. Something must have happened after 20.10.1 to cause these issues.

Specs:

Mobo: X570 Aorus Elite

GPU: Sapphire Pulse 5700XT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3800X

PSU: Phanteks Amp 750W 80Plus Gold (GPU plugged with 2 separate cables)

6 Replies
Rosomak53
Journeyman III

You upset me. I was going to put together a similar setup, but I think I'll hold off pending clarification. Is AMD has something to say?

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

The error message you receive has nothing to do with the graphics card driver or the graphics card.

Decrease the core ratio of your processor or increase the processor core voltage with the BIOS. Maybe the problem will be solved.

@mstfbsrn980 wrote:

The error message you receive has nothing to do with the graphics card driver or the graphics card.

Decrease the core ratio of your processor or increase the processor core voltage with the BIOS. Maybe the problem will be solved.

The WHEA error can be a CPU error so I'll check that, but why is the issue consistently occuring ONLY with the newer GPU drivers and not the older ones? Is the newer drivers triggering something new on the CPU end? The 3800X is running stock and ran fine on the mobo for years

0 Likes

Probably different driver versions generate different CPU load.

0 Likes

So someone has found the solution, which worked for me.

In my motherboard, I adjusted the CPU Vcore's Load Line Calibration from Auto > Medium. My Vcore was already normal and I adjusted my Dynamic Vcore offset to -0.048V, instead of the poster's -0.8125V (which is not an option for me).

Once I adjusted that, I installed 20.12.1 again. No BSOD, everything is good.

It is absolutely bizarre at why a simple driver upgrade would cause such a CPU stress to BSOD, when CPU benchmark tests or CPU intensive games have no issues.
0 Likes

You started a topic. I just said what the problem is. I did not comment on the problem.

0 Likes