Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Aeyesi
Adept I

5700XT SAM support

Hi!

I'd like to ask if there are any plans from AMD to bring SAM support the Radeon 5000 series (specifically 5700XT)?

It would be awesome thing to have in times with massive GPU shortages!

0 Likes
6 Replies
BESTish
Journeyman III

It is supported on your GPU with both 3000 and 5000 CPUs 

check your motherboard manufacturer to see if it is available. If it is an older mb it will likely not support it at all or you may get lucky and just need a bios update. Once you determine if your motherboard is compatible follow an enabling guide for your specific mb manufacturer. The enabling process is he same as a 6000gpu with a 5000cpu. I would tell you how but it’s different for every mb manufacturer. Once you have enabled it via bios, you can check to see if it is working by going to control panel open device manager click on your GPU in display adapters. Go to properties then resources tab. And if it says “large memory range” then it’s successfully enabled. You more than likely will see little to no difference on the older architecture. But many games will have single digit percentage performance increases. Some will have decreases too lol. 

0 Likes

Sorry folks. SAM and Resizable Bar may be enabled on your system's bios, but the AMD RX-5700XT cannot make use of it, because it DOES NOT have the HARDWARE available in the card.

On the first page of GPU-Z, "Enabled" listed here is only a report that the Resizable Bar is available and configured in the bios.
GPU-Z Resize.jpg

If you move to the "Advanced" tab, and select "PCIe Resizable Bar", you will see that there is NO "GPU Hardware Support" and there is NO "Graphics Driver Support" on the RX-5700XT.

GPU-Z Resize Advanced.jpg

All of the options in the "Red Box" are a report on your systems's bios readiness to support a Resizable Bar. These should all say "Yes" if you have the Resizable Bar correctly configured on your system.

In conclusion, the Resizable Bar may be available on your system's motherboard, but it is "NOT Available" on the RX-5700XT because there is no "Hardware or Driver" support for it.

Be well.

I retract my previous statement.

As of Update 21.9.1, the AMD Radeon X5700-XT NOW SUPPORTS SAM.

As well, GPU-Z will still report that the GPU & Hardware is unsupported. Now a bug in GPU-Z.

incryptx_0-1632104277693.png

Enjoy.

@incryptx Thanks for the update! Did you do a timespy run to compare the performance?

I tried to enable SAM back when AGESA 1.2.0.0 launched, but there was no driver support back then.
Might have to try this now that the driver supports it - but I don't like to install Radeon Software...

Do you think it would work with "driver only" install, maybe via registry switch?

edit/update:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001
KMD_RebarControlMode REG_DWORD 1 (enabled)
driver: 21.9.1 - AMD chipset version: 3.09.01.140

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]

It may work with a registry setting or "drivers only", but I have not tested either.

Thanks.

0 Likes

@incryptx it does work with MSI Afterburner + the changed Registry entry.

I have also contacted GPU-Z author and he fixed the GPU-Z issue:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/adrenalin-21-9-1-adds-rebar-support-to-radeon-5000-series...

The new working GPU-Z version is 2.41.6 which is attached within one of the forum messages.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]