cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kkohena
Adept I

5700XT Questionable Performance

I've gone through a lot of settings and driver adjustments to get to this point and its relatively stable. The card will still crash when alt tabbing a full screen game, or having a notification pop up. Also some issues with the overlay but nothing has happened while in game yet. I've only tested FFXIV for a solid amount of time. In FFXIV the performance is well enough at 1440p on High ranging from 70-110 FPS depending on if there are a lot of people on the screen. This is an improvement over my GTX 1080ftw. However, when I've tried Dauntless and Destiny 2, my frames are maxing out around 40 at 1440p. This is a dramatic drop from my 1080. I've also noticed incredibly poor utilization percentages on the GPU in those games as well. Around 50% consistently. FFXIV utilizes the GPU fairly well as one might expect from the solid frames but even that doesnt maintain above 90% on average. My card runs pretty cool as I've placed the Arctic Accelero Extreme IV cooler on it, but other than prevent the card from bursting into flame or being excessively loud, this hasn't helped much at all. I'm also noticing black screens for an extended period of time when first opening games or benchmarks or alt tabbing.

My settings in Wattman are in the screenshot as well as a 10 minute utilization average graph on Dauntless while standing/running around in town at 1440p borderless windowed avg 40fps. Also 10min utilization average graph on FFXIV standing/running around town 1440p borderless window avg 90fps.

I suppose my question is, has anyone else experienced incredibly poor performance in games for a card that should be consistently over 60fps at 1440p? or some of my other issues? 

My system:

2560x1440p 144hz Dell Monitor

1900x1200 Hanns G Monitor

Intel i7 7700k 4.2 OC'd to 4.8 Turbo w/ EVGA CLC120 AIO

ASrock z270 Extreme 4 LGA1151

16gb DDR4 

AMD 5700xt AE w/ Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV

Windows 10 Home 

EVGA Supernova 850 G+
Wattman:

1980mHz 1041mV

875 MHZ memory

Dauntless:

Dauntless.png

FFXIV:FFXIV.png

0 Likes
4 Replies
sj-farrell
Adept I

I am running the RX 5700 and have also had a nightmare getting it stable. I have had problems with a couple of games but Destiny 2 has been a nightmare. Sometimes D2 is okay and I can get between 120 > 170 FPS @ 1080p/144hz but most times its half that and the screen is stuttering and tearing quite badly. I have tried every combination of settings to overcome it but it just never settles for more than an hour. Freesync on/off, VSync on/off, change monitor refresh rate, driver re-installs etc. etc. Sometimes, when trying combinations, my PC beeps three times, the screen goes black and only a hard reset fixes it. I then get the Global Watt man has reset to default settings message. So frustrating.

My old 1060 GTX never missed a beat and I wish I had stayed with Nvidia and bought the 2060 GTX.

0 Likes
foxwater
Adept I

I have the anniversary edition and noticed if I keep the undervolting relatively minor I don't see stability issues. Right now I'm sitting at 2074Mhz/1152mV (default on the AE is 2074/1202) and it seems stable (also bumped the fan curve up to something reasonable). I think the AE cards are having less issues in general on account of being straight from AMD and better bin quality...but I would assume the principle holds true for the standard XT. Basically, don't touch Wattman right now if you don't have to.

In FF14 I can run 4K/Ultra and it stays 55-60 fps range with fps locked at 60 in settings. The only game I've really noticed issues with is Overwatch, I'll get 130+ fps at 4K/Ultra but it will frequently drop or get really choppy...I have to set it to display-based frame limiting and lower settings to medium-ish to make it smooth. I think it's probably (hopefully) a driver thing right now, and more games will become optimized over time.

0 Likes

Yea I've reduced the clock and undervolted it. I cant say I noticed a difference though. Fan speed has been increased too. I'm testing a few more games today to see if its consistently underperforming. No response from AMD so far. 

0 Likes
baepe
Adept III

It's AMD's lousy drivers that they don't care to fix.

0 Likes