cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

koszalek
Adept III

Re: 5700XT just not stable?

problems can be random with drivers, but remember to use DDU to uninstall old drivers
0 Likes
Earnhardt
Paragon

RX5700XT OC ASUS STRIX almost a year with no issues on all drivers. Have never used DDU on any driver update. 

belgiangenius
Adept I

So I did a DDU install of the latest drivers today, released two days ago, and it currently seems like all my problems have disappeared!

Holy cow, were the previous drivers that unstable? 

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Again, I don't want to be misunderstood but I will have to specify. 1-2 days of experience may not be enough to conclude that a GPU is stabilized with a display driver update. Goodbye...

0 Likes
belgiangenius
Adept I

Fair point.  

But with the previous drivers I could not play Forza 7 with any amount of power boost without constant crashes, which is weird because that games doesn't use the power boost.  It normally runs 60-100W.

Last evening I ran it with 20% power boost all evening, no problem.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Definitely looks though like the drivers really have been steadily improving in the past few updates. Which makes you feel a bit more hopeful about RDNA2 coming out of the gate on better ground than RDNA did. 

I appreciate your feedback on your experience. It is easy to concentrate on the negative and is good to give credit when things improve. 

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

It also does appear as if there is a quality difference between some of the different models.  The ASUS Strix and Powercolor Devil series don't seem to report as many issues as the reference based cards do.

0 Likes
alseu
Challenger

Powercolor RX 5700 series graphics cards have the highest RMA rate according to the recent Mindfactory report. Specifically Red Devil models.
pastedImage_2.png

They share no info about ASUS cards. But there goes the infamous fiasco with a lack of GPU to cooler pressure causing overheat in Strix models. Also there was specifically bad cooler design for TUF RX 5700 XT leading to very high GDDR6 temperatures (over 100C at stock settings during load). 
Here is the screenshot taken from the Hardware Unboxed review:
pastedImage_5.png

My experience is mostly good with Navi. I use reference 5700 XT since launch. Haven't got any major issues anywhere but in one game. There were random black screens during Dark Souls 3 playtime. The game has the 60fps limit. At 1440p it results into a very light to average load with this GPU. Random blackscreens could occur only at the time when I wasn't streaming or recording. That seemed to be a hardware issue with lower C states but I couldn't reproduce it anywhere else. Finished the game with enabled instant replay and decided to leave everything as it is for now.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Good info to have!  I am new to Navi, and have been using a Powercolor unit.  No issues to report so far.  

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33706830 

Timespy.PNG

0 Likes
belgiangenius
Adept I

The only problem I still have is that Wattman still keeps resetting my voltage to 1200 mV.  All other settings in Wattman stick, except that voltage that keeps getting reset to default.

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THIS?

0 Likes