5700XT just not stable?

Hi,

This summer I built a new PC:

Asus X570 TUF Gaming MB

AMD 3900X processor

32GB GSkill 3600Mhz RAM

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSD

New Corsair RM850x PS

To start, I used my old 1070Ti video card.  It was rock solid in all games.  Even if you overclocked it to its limit, it would remain rock solid in all games.  So, all the other components in this build present no issues.  The system is stable.

Then, recently I decided to upgrade to a Gigabyte 5700XT OC card, and the weirdness begins.

At its default settings, you can run the 3DMARK Timespy stability test, over and over, and it will pass.  But in games, there are issues.  Forza 7 will crash or feeze at least once every two hours.  Project cars will occasionally crash or just give you a black screen when the race is supposed to begin.

Trying to overclock gets even funkier.  I can increase the power tuning +30%, undervolt to 1150mV, and again it'll hit ~2050Mhz consistently and loop the Timespy stability test forever with no problems.  Project cars doesn't seem affected by these settings too much (apart from the random weirdness it always exhibits with the 5700XT), but if I load up Forza 7 with any power increase at all (even +10%), it'll freeze almost instantly - even in menus.  Sometimes it'll work fine until I crash the car in the game, and then it freezes.  The weird thing is, Forza 7 is not a demanding game, and runs 4K 60Hz Ultra settings and only uses the GPU at 60% load - yet it's crash city.  Project cars 3 is very demanding but runs much more stable with overclock settings.

And Wattman seems to be another jumbo headache.  It just randomly keeps resetting my voltage back to the default of 1200mV.  What's up with this?

But even at default settings, this GPU doesn't seem entirely stable.    I'm almost ready to buy a new Nvidia card and chuck this thing.

Anyone got any suggestion?

61 Replies
pokester
MVP

Re: 5700XT just not stable?

Sounds like a power issue. AMD recommends a 700 watt power supply for that card. You might want to exchange that power supply for a 750 gold. It will cost a bit more, but the power supply is literally the most important part of you system, and is no place to go with the minimum. 

0 Likes
belgiangenius
Adept I

My power supply is a brand new 850W.  Are you suggesting I need to downgrade my power supply?  Is having too much power the problem?

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

You can try these.
+ Connecting two power cables from PSU to GPU.
+ Decreasing 100-150-200Mhz GPU core frequency.
+ Increasing the core voltage which is 1200mV to 1225-1232-1248mV.

Don't buy anything Corsair brand anymore...

Edit: I was also using a Corsair (a 750 Gold) a long time ago. It was used with FX9370 and HD7870 (approx 450w) with a system suitable for its capacity and it was burned.
Those who buy Corsair think they are getting a quality product and this has nothing to do with reality. For this reason, I just warned you.

pokester
MVP

I applaud your choice of new power supply. I have the same one. It gets very good reviews. Mine is 2 years old now and going strong. Best power supply I have ever had. 8 more years on the 10 year warranty too!

If your gpu is not stable now it has nothing to do with the power supply. If you are in your return Window you might want to try another model card. If not you might want to look into an RMA. 

teoretic
Adept I

I had the same problems with a Gigabyt rx 5700xt OC board, black screen and freezer. I tested everything with DDU and etc, but nothing.

What else have I tried and it didn't work:

• Update to the latest adrenaline version, which is Adrenaline 2020 Edition 20.9.1 now for me. Still black screen after 5 min of a game play or benchmark.
  • I changed the old 700w PSU with a newer 600w and it worked slightly better, less often a black screen, but still a black screen in heavy Games or Benchmark at High. 

The solution for me was as follows:

• I decreased the maximum frequency from 2034 to 1999.
  • I lowered its voltage quite a bit to 1099 and increased the fan speed a bit.  And everything became very Stable.
  • No max power tunning.
  • Vram max. Frequency at 1830. 

And I haven't had a black screen since. 

It did not decrease the performance but on the contrary it increased more in the benchmark, and FPS was more stable. Since then no problem, everything goes perfectly and much colder. I think because it goes much colder it can keep Turbo longer from there better performance.

I think all rx 5000 video cards have too high voltage and that is why they are so unstable.

Undervolting should solve your problem.

belgiangenius
Adept I

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've never had a video card that was unstable out of the box!  

How do you maintain the undervolt settings?  I find Wattman keeps randomly setting it back to 1200mV, even though all my other changes stick.  And, yes, I've tried the classic suggested solution of disabling Windows fast starup.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Pretty much all AMD cards need tinkering and often are not stable for the past 3 years now since wattman came on the scene. This was never an issue before that. This is a situation that should not exist. Cards should always work properly at default settings. If you have to lower your speed to get it stable then you are not getting what you paid for. 

0 Likes
belgiangenius
Adept I

Yeah, it's weird.  If everything I'm reading about 5700XT cards is accurate, I smell a class action law suit in AMD's future.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

No stabilization problem for AMD-GPUs without WattMan! Your PSU may not provide GPU-12v required or your motherboard does not provide the required power. When many PSUs sold as good quality load processors, the GPUs-12v drops. GPUs may need higher core voltage. So undervolting won't solve your problem.

Another problem for AMD GPUs is that it doesn't contain quality VRM. AMD overcame this problem with the x570. The next GPU series is likely to come with a higher quality VRM like nVidia.

0 Likes