Journeyman III

5700XT driver timeout issues

PC Specs:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
  • Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Suppl
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit
  • Monitor 1: Sceptre C248W-1920R 23.6" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor
  • Monitor 2: Elecrow 13.3 Inch IPS Raspberry Pi Display 1920X1080 Resolution Dual HDMI Portable Monitor

For the last month or so, I've been having issues with display driver timeouts occurring. Primarily it happens when gaming - and it's done so on literally every game I've tried but two - but not always, as I've had it happen a couple of times while browsing the internet and several times when in the Radeon software itself.

I have tried multiple things to resolve this:

• Disconnected the second monitor, per a note for "known issues" about DX11 games crashing while using a second monitor in extended mode.
  • Uninstalled drivers with AMD Cleanup Utility and reinstalled with the latest version.
  • Uninstalled drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled with the latest version.
  • Uninstalled drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and installed version 21.3.x.
  • Installed latest chipset drivers from MSI.
  • Verified Windows 10 is up to date.
  • Run SFC.
  • Run DISM.
  • Run Windows Memory Diagnostic.
  • Set TdrDelay to 10.
  • Enabled Above 4G memory/crypto mining mode in BIOS.
  • Undervolted GPU per this /r/AMDHelp comment I received.

Despite all this, absolutely nothing has helped or even made a difference in what I'm seeing. I have sent multiple reports on this issue via the AMD bug report tool but nothing has been responded to so at this point I am at a loss of things to try besides wiping my drives and starting from a fresh install of Windows (I doubt this would make a difference as I'm pretty sure this is either a driver or hardware issue) or buying a whole new card (which, obviously, is not practical at this point since I'm not paying double or triple MSRP for one).

1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is the Radeon graphics driver and the adrenaline software, which does not act statically but rather self-optimizing until oops. I only use the Radeon driver with the MSI Afterburner for my RX5700XT, where you can force constant voltage and create and try out graphic profiles for your games. With my Cyberpunk 2077 (set Ultra) I set the core clock from 2100 (much too high) to 1350 (minimum) and the core voltage from 1184 to 1100. Everything else led to crashes, which is probably also due to the graphics machines used in the games. You can then test the graphic profiles with Furmark.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
igniferroque
Adept I

I've been having timeouts too.. more or less.. with this card DDUing has become a routine really.

Not sure this will help you but

I had this witcher 3 craving lately. But it just CTDs at 5 minutes and drops the driver. After testing all resonable options what I'm comfortable to play the game at. Meaning I went trough every variation in the adrenaline software; FRTC, undervolting, chill, nolag, freesync also the game's individual graphics/tuning profile. Systematically tested everything. Then same thing in the game itself and rivatuners limiter. hopeless.

Came across topic regarding shader caches. Purged all of them. Amd, directx and what ever witcher temp included. Then in Windows' exploit protection added witcher3.exe and did few overrides. Specifically ones that were ON. I don't have extensive knowledge on what they are and what they do, but the game didn't crash for atleast 30 minutes. So I cleared caches once again and only then DDU'd in safe mode. With unplugged internet installed 21.11.1 driver ONLY.

The game is running and I think I won't be exiting or shutting down PC any time soon. It feels like AMD's driver eventually gets corrupted. *Knock on wood*. I won't be surprised if it crashes again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is the Radeon graphics driver and the adrenaline software, which does not act statically but rather self-optimizing until oops. I only use the Radeon driver with the MSI Afterburner for my RX5700XT, where you can force constant voltage and create and try out graphic profiles for your games. With my Cyberpunk 2077 (set Ultra) I set the core clock from 2100 (much too high) to 1350 (minimum) and the core voltage from 1184 to 1100. Everything else led to crashes, which is probably also due to the graphics machines used in the games. You can then test the graphic profiles with Furmark.

Between this and a suggestion from my /r/AMDHelp post I think I have this as solved as I can right now. Full steps I followed:

1. Uninstall AMD drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller
  2. Extract latest AMD drivers but cancel the actual installation process. Notate the folder that the drivers were extracted to.
  3. Using device manager, update the video and audio adapter drivers, pointing at the folder notated in step 2.
  4. Install MSI Afterburner and set core clock to 1350 MHz and core voltage maximum to 1100 mV.
  5. Add new DWORD key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers, key name is TdrDelay, decimal value 10 or hex value of A.
  6. Restart PC

So far I have been able to play Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Cyberpunk 2077, and Mass Effect Andromeda without any issues. Star Trek Online still crashes within seconds of logging in to a character for some reason, but that is the only game that has had a problem. DCS World and Falcon BMS are working fine but weren't having a problem beforehand.