Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

silent3d
Journeyman III

5700XT does not lower memory clock in idle @ 144 hz

Hi Community,

there is the known issue that most AMD GPUs do not lower the memory clock in idle when using a 144 hz monitor.

I got a new Acer XV272U monitor and also have that problem. When I let the monitor run at 144 hz, the power consumption rises to 32 watts. If I lower the refresh rate to 120 hz memory clocks down and the card only needs 8 watts. It's not only about the power consumption (prices are very high here in Germany) but also the fan turns on and I have that disturbing noise.

I want to use my monitor with its natural refresh rate at 144 hz with low memory clocks in idle. I've read that AMD was able to solve that issue for Vega GPUs - is there a driver or firmware update expected for RDNA? Or are there any workarounds?

Dispite that issue I'm very satisfied with my 5700XT, don't really want to replace it because of that...

Thanks for your help in advance!

7 Replies

Possible workaround is using Custom Resolution Utility to change blanking.

Have a read of https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD/comments/dr5bxt/i-solved-my-max-memory-clocks-at-144hz-problem/

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
silent3d
Journeyman III

Hi goodplay,

thanks for your help. I've read about this but I also got the info, that using CRU may damage the monitor. Is it really save to use CRU? Do I have to expect any limitations like non-working Freesync?

0 Likes

CRU software can damage your monitor. Because every monitor has a maximum pixel clock speed Mhz value. CRU does not pay attention to this limit.

0 Likes
koszalek
Adept III

hi, i had the same problem, it is the fault of the lack of the latest monitor drivers

0 Likes
koszalek
Adept III

I have used and helped CRU, you just need the right setup

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

Don't use CRU -it can cause some games to crash if you tweak your blanking rate. 

0 Likes
chuteboxe
Adept I

This question is addressed to AMD. When will this driver error be fixed on 5700XT.

75hz or 144hz or the use of 2 Monitors with different  refresh rate cause the memory clock stuck.

Let us make AMD great again and fix this for the future.