cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

azreeno
Adept I

5700XT display loss

Hey, I've got 2 display loss in the past week with my 5700XT Nitro+. My monitor just turns off and do not detect any input. I need to restart my pc then everything runs fine.
I've also had some pc freezes while browsing.
Do I have a faulty card, is it driver related or is any other part of my pc concerned?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We have an existing thread on this issue which you can use to provide your feedback and track status updates. 

RX 5700 XT Random Black Screens When Gaming 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
valste
Adept I

Same thing has been happening to me. Currently on 19.10.1. Games either crash or my monitor will turn off. Have to restart my computer every time then it's back to working. It's probably a driver issue since this just started happening recently?

kristian2
Adept I

I've had the same issue with several previous versions including the very first one I had a long while back, but strangely 19.10.1 seems stable so far for me. There's a game that usually used to freeze within a few minutes of gameplay, sometimes even within seconds, but I just ran it for at least half an hour without any issues. I haven't tested the latest version extensively yet, though.

0 Likes

All these problems seem to be relating to the 5700XT cards but not the 5700 vanilla?  I am sure they are too power hungry and/or running hot.  Have you tried a very old driver without wattman (16.6.1)?  I installed that a few weeks ago and haven't any black screens since.  Well I did have a few but I also had an old asus sound card in the pci slot which I forgot about (with no driver installed), so I removed it and touch wood no problems since!  Also I cleaned the cpu heatsink right near the motherboard where the pipes curve off the cpu onto the big metal sink.  The pipes were caked in dust where I couldn't see them so I think that wasn't helping with cpu temps.  Since I did all 3 things (use old driver, remove soundcard, clean heatsink pipes properly), no crashes!  I hope it isn't a fluke!  But regardless no wattman has been reset messages    And I didn't even have to bother with DDU, reinstall windows, underclocking, undervolting, overcooking or anything else lol.  It's like, HELLO AMD, we SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT.

I would like to know if people can resolve these black screens in case I have to upgrade in the future (my card is 7950) and I wanted to get a 5700 (not XT).  But if these problems continue I will go for a 1660 ti instead.

0 Likes

My card is running at 70C  and it has a TDP of only 225W (215W for the 2070s) so no it is not too power hungry or hot. The 5700 has 20% fps and 2Go of VRAM more than the 1660Ti so I would suggest going with it if you can wait for the drivers to be fixed.

0 Likes

Well I don't want the hassle of the black screens which are totally random and unpredictable and a total pain.  And the extra performance isn't that much as I mainly still play at 1080p ultra and the 1660 ti is probably enough for now.  Also the 5700 costs a lot more (£50-£100) depending on which cards so I can do without the 5700 for now I think.  I'm just watching the situation to see what happens and if these complaints go away, and hopefully if they do by that time the price will come down!

0 Likes

Well you will surely only see complaints on a support forum that is the point. I've had black screens twice in a week and only on idle.

0 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHr2n_bQiU&t=1212s Here is the comparison at 1080p for the 5700.

0 Likes

Thanks, yep I would like the extra performance of the 5700.  I notice though on the Steam hardware survey that not 1 single person has a RX 5700 series card?  It's been out a few months now and I know people have been waiting for the custom fan cards but you would think there would be a small percentage showing on the steam list?  Means a relatively few number have bought them, and overall nvidia dominates now (75% to 25%).  So it seems that the majority have voted with their wallets over the last few years (it never used to be such a big difference between green and red).  Are AMD focusing more now on the consoles and not so bothered about the PC?  I think they are just trying to recoup some of the development costs of the consoles and Navi tech with the 5700 series and it will be ditched and superceded before long!

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We have an existing thread on this issue which you can use to provide your feedback and track status updates. 

RX 5700 XT Random Black Screens When Gaming 

0 Likes