Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Seatbose80
Journeyman III

5700XT - CTD "AMD Driver Timeout"

Hi,

Recently I've been getting a lot of random CTDs completely out of nowhere with the error message " AMD Driver Timeout". This has specifically been crashing in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

I've downloaded latest drivers, used DDU and reinstalled drivers, installed latest version of Windows, not overcooked the card, set Tdr delay, set up two power connectors into GPU, set page file on SSD to allow for more virtual ram yet I'm still getting random CTDs...

Has anyone found a solution to these constant crashes? How do I go about raising a ticket so this can actually get looked at and solved because I know there are many other uses suffering the exact same issue with this card. Thanks!

Gigabyte 5700 XT 2600X 16GB 750w psu

0 Likes
7 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Try installing the 20.8.3 or 20.9.2 driver. Use DDU in safe mode: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.6 (guru3d.com)

Also pre-download the driver from: AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT Previous Drivers | AMD

I would check Event Viewer to see what the exact error is. CTD's can be a result of more than the on screen error that pops up. If all other games work fine, I would suspect the game itself since Microsoft updates it and raise the issue with Microsoft. Make sure Windows is fully updated to 20H2 with the latest patch for Feb. Microsoft Store can cause this error, it did when I had Forza Horizon 4. If Flight Sim is the only game causing it, it's probably the game and Microsoft will have to fix it. If you're using a VR headset, make a trouble ticket with AMD as below.

Making a "bug report" via AMD Radeon software is done via opening the software, clicking the "gear" icon and go to "settings". Towards the bottom left is the "launch bug report tool", follow the instructions. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply I really appreciate it. In terms of installing an older driver, just I just save it to my downloads and then run DDU? Why have you also chosen those exact drivers just out of interest? Are you aware that this is a common problem with the 5700xt?

As for Microsoft store, what can I do to check that this isnt causing the crash(? The game is on Steam btw). Thanks !

0 Likes

There's a common "fix" for many issues regarding the RX 5600 XT/RX 5700 XT and some others that have crash, black screen, game issues, etc. that relate to certain driver packages. There's a whole other part to it that concerns setting the 3 clocks to within 100Mhz of each other toward the max clock(~1700,1800,1900-1950Mhz), undervolting the GPU (~960-1.050mv), setting the power limit to max, adjusting VRAM +12Mhz, turning off the zero RPM fan function to lower initial temps and lastly a possible a more aggressive fan curve. 

I posted it back in October or so and since then a few others did as well. Basically trial and error found the driver's that weren't stable and we that OC found the clock issue causing some crashes due to the rapid frequency and voltage swing the cards do during operation. When browsing one might not notice a problem but gaming is a different story since some scenes might lower the GPU clock as though it's a regular video than ramp up quickly as action starts, causing problems. That's the "back story" to that.

As far as the driver download goes, yes download it to wherever you want to save it first. Install DDU, but before you reboot to safe mode, disconnect the internet so no drivers get installed automatically but the basic display driver Windows uses by default after DDU runs. While still disconnected, install the older driver and remain offline. Once the reboot is done, go into the Radeon settings and disable the automatic driver update feature. This will prevent the software from automatically installing newer drivers until you read the "release notes" and determine if there's anything new or a fix for something that affects you. With the 5000 series, there shouldn't be since AMD is done with "fixing" those drivers with the newer 6000 series cards being pushed out. 

Sort of a bad thing for AMD to make the 5000 series EOL like this since they weren't out long and there's still plenty using or buying them. In rare cases they might come out with a fix for a certain game but I don't see it happening for the 5000 series.

To check what is crashing, look in "Event Viewer", "System" or "Application" list for the error code and reason. It might not line up exactly to the minute of the failure, usually it's a few errors slightly before the CTD. 

Steam is simply the "launcher" for the game, it's "back bone" is Microsoft based, usually off the "Store". You can repair the "Store" in "settings"/"apps", find the "Microsoft Store", right click it, "advanced properties", "reset". To update it just open the "Microsoft Store" app and click the 3 dots at the upper right and choose "downloads and updates", if there are any it will list them there including the store app. If it doesn't work or asks you to sign in, then follow the instructions to reset the store above.

FYI, you can also have Steam be the default "launcher" for nearly any game, like EA based, Epic, etc. It will invoke the proper client like for EA=Origin and I don't bother because then you're running 2 launcher's, waste of resources but "convenient". 

"It worked before you broke it!"

Hi, could you please post a screenshot of the 5700 configuration to adjust mine. I am not an expert and I am a bit confused with the settings you indicate.

Tnks

0 Likes

Hi,

I have the same problem

could you please post a screenshot of the 5700 configuration to adjust mine. I am not an expert and I am a bit confused with the settings you indicate.

Tnks

0 Likes

Try to reduce the GPU frequency by 2 times.

0 Likes
Mirocho
Journeyman III

0 Likes