cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

scarceloot
Adept III

5700xt Crashing

Have been having issues since day with my 5700xt, it should be noted that I have two identical builds (one for me, one for my wife). Her system has been issue free without a single crash, where as mine has crashed in every game I play (Fornite, WoW, LoL, Rust, Stardew Valley). The crashes are either full system crashes (causes EZ Debug LED which forces you to clear/jump the CMOS) or more recently crashes to desktop and the system will reboot automatically. 

Other forums are reporting multiple users experiencing this issue due to AMD Radeon VSR (virtual screen resolution) being enabled via setting adviser. The problem is when you disable it, the bug will persist though the setting is off and the only way to undo the setting is by DDUing the GPU driver.

To do so, DDU (while in windows safe mode) the GPU driver, then reinstall the 5700xt driver (Adrenaline). Upon reinstallation DO NOT enable any settings Radeon adviser suggests. I personally have done these steps and have not crashed (yet) but others are stating they are still having issues with older motherboards. Since doing the DDU I have ran Heaven on ultra settings and scored 2845 with 112.9 frames (43 min / 210 max), I will reply back here if I crash again.

Specs:

X570 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (Bios MFlashed to 7B93v11)
5700xt Sapphire

3600x

G.Skill Ripjaw V 3600 CL16 

XF270HU WQHD IPS 144hz

AMD WE NEED A DRIVER UPDATE ASAP!

1 Solution
scarceloot
Adept III

Potential Solution:

Wanted to get a comment in here to mark as solution, as myself and others seem to have stable systems. Here are the steps we took:

UPDATE 1: I got stuck in a BSOD boot loop and had to move my M2 drive & reinstall Windows 10 - This is an unrelated issue to the 5700xt

UNTIL THERE IS A BIOS UPDATE (to 1.0.0.3AB) DO NOT install an NVMe M2 SSD into a M2 slot that DOES NOT also accept SATA - instead, install the drive into the M2 slot that does accept SATA. For the X570 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon M2 #1 does not have SATA where #2 does. So I believe some (if not almost all) of my random crashes were due to the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe drive being inserted into M2 #1, because once I moved the drive and reinstalled windows I have not had a SINGLE WHEA 17 PCIe error in event viewer.

1. Start with a fresh install of Windows 10 version 1903 (Solution should work regardless of this, but use as last resort)
    1. I had ethernet unplugged as I did the install
  2. Update your motherboard BIOS (My X570 came with a bios more than a month old)
    1. Usually requires FAT32 flash drive
    2. Check in your motherboard manual for appropriate steps
  3. Disable Microsoft Automatic Updates
    1. Type Check for updates
    2. Click Pause Update
  4. Install motherboard CHIPSET driver from AMD.com (Chipsets > AMD Socket AM4 > Choose your board type) 
    1. DO NOT install the chipset driver from your motherboard manufacturer
  5. Restart
  6. Plug ethernet cord in
  7. Download and install Processor driver from AMD.com (Processors > Ryzen Master)
  8. Restart
  9. Download and Install C++ in sequential year order (I did a fresh install, so I did not already have these)
    1. 2010 C++ (x64)
    2. 2015 C++ (x64)
    3. 2015-2019 C++ (x64)
  10. Restart
  11. Download and Install Adrenalin 19.7.3 from AMD.com (UPDATED due to new driver)
    1. 420mb version - DO NOT use Auto detect & DO NOT update within Adrenalin
  12. Restart
  13. Check for Windows Updates
    1. Repeat until your fingers are numb & restart after each update is installed
  14. Enable Microsoft Automatic Updates
    1. Type Check for updates
    2. Click Check for Update

You'll want to run the following everyday until your issues stop

• Check for Windows Updates
  • DO NOT allow Radeon adviser to enable settings
    • Specifically Virtual Screen Resolution (VSR) and Enhanced Sync - leave these OFF
  • Run DirectX Diagnostic Tool - Type DXDIAG in the start menu and run
    • click next page and exit when done
  • Run system file checker periodically in CMD as admin: SFC /scannow
    • If you have issues that are not resolved, online repair SHOULD correct the issues
  • Run the online repair periodically dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • Avoid using multiple programs at the same time to monitor temps/utilization
  • Avoid clicking on Windows notifications while in-game
    • You can fully disable these within Windows settings
  • Avoid using MSI Afterburner

Use Event Viewer (Run as Administrator) to find errors:

• In start menu, type Event Viewer
  • Right click, run as administrator
  • On the right side click
    • Create Custom View 
    • Event Level: Critical, Warning, Error
    • Choose Event Logs:
      • Windows - Application
      • Application & Services: Hardware events
    • Click OK, and name this filter Summary of Errors or whatever you want
      • This is how I am able to spot application errors after computer restarts or BSOD
  • Repeat and make a second filter
    • Create Custom View
    • Event Level: Critical, Warning, Error
    • Choose Event Logs:
      • Windows - Application
    • Choose Event Sources
      • Application Hang
    • Click OK, and name this filter Game Errors or whatever you want
      • This is how I am able to spot the r5apex.exe errors

PS: - If Adrenalin 19.7.3 doesn't work - DDU the driver and start again

DDU Link

• Launch Option: Safe Mode
  • Upon restart, choose GPU driver
  • Select Remove and Restart
  • Upon restart, reinstall 19.7.3

#solution #support #help #5700xt #AMD #x570 #AM4

View solution in original post

130 Replies
scarceloot
Adept III

Most of the BSOD Solved: I had a bad ram stick, replaced with a new set and everything works the way it’s supposed to, and I can even enable xmp without BSOD

0 Likes

I had a similar situation when i first installed some corsair DIMMs.  It was weird because the ones I used were on the compatibility list and did work initially but then I remember somewhere along the line when I got a crash I was lucky enough to get an error message that mentioned my memory.  I think I was trying to render a video, import a video file or install a program.  Don't really remember what I was doing but once I got that error I went out to buy some new memory and that definitely made a difference. 

0 Likes

Honestly, I should have done it sooner - I have 2 setups and never swapped this sticks. For some reason one stick would work 80% of the time. Sometimes it would boot on one stick, othertimes it wouldnt - it also passed memtest86 but I must have not done enough passes. I threw in the towel at the tail end of my RMA window. 
For the record I had G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series CL16 DDR4 3600 16GB

And replaced it with Crucial Ballistix Elite Series CL16 DDR4 3600 16GB

0 Likes
rclv
Adept I

Are this still on the 5700XT driver issue or becomes MOBO drivers.. 

I have just updated the latest 19.7.5 driver for my 5700XT and 5700XL

Both are working fine without turn on Enhanced Sync with 4K monitors as well.

Anyone still updates AMD drivers here

0 Likes
rukur
Journeyman III

For me at least 19.7.4 lets me play older games like for instance the ones I am playing now Dragon Age Orgins, Supreme Commader Forged alliance.

19.7.4 All my games worked for a few days and I played several hours fine.

19.7.5 Back to pre 19.7.4 error: Failed to detect a supported video card.

And thanks AMD for not letting me roll back the driver even uninstalling ! 

0 Likes

You should be able to complete removed the new version and roll back to the old 19.7.4.

1. Run DDU which can be downloaded from this link Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download 

2. remove network cable or disable your network(wifi) if there is no cable to remove...

3. After reboot, you can install a fresh 19.7.4

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

I have had 0 issues with my Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 and my 50th Ann 5700XT, since I installed 19.7.2, and this is with every bios issued from AGESA 1003 to current AGESA 1003ABB (No problems with 1003AB, either.)  Boot from my NVMe drive--no problems.  Most of the posts seem to indicate motherboard problems as opposed to GPU problems.  Fan-curve changes inside Wattman cause me no problems at all--but I prefer the stock fan profile because it's 98% audibly invisible--the GPU was manufactured to run forever under those conditions, and it's also warranted by AMD to run under those conditions without a problem.  Some people want to second-guess the engineers who designed these GPUs, of course, that always happens with new GPUs....;)  They are said to be "Too hot, too loud, or too...whatever."  Yawn.  It runs at the temps it was designed to handle with ease, hardly makes a sound, and so far hasn't crashed in a single game I own.  Heaven bench--no problem--Valley--no problem--Superposition--no problem.  Windows 10, v1903, build 18362.10012.  So... I'm content with everything running at stock--no problems thus far!  Hope you guys get your problems ironed out! 

Hardware:

AMD 50th Anniversary 5700XT
Aorus Master x570 UEFI bios F5l
Corsair HX-850 PSU (72a x1 12v rail)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X @ 3.8Ghz default clock, 4.4+GHz boost
RAM 16GB 2x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite PV416G320C6K @3200mhz 16 16 16 36 1T
LG MultiDrive DVD writer SATA
Boot: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB (UEFI boot partition)
2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm
ST2000DM SATA III 2TB
ST4000DM004 S3 4TB
AoC U3277PWQU 3840x2160 monitor

0 Likes
scarceloot
Adept III

Few more weeks in - I moved the NVMe m2 to slot 2, and I have changed the original ram kit to a Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600 cl16 - Ram great for a few weeks. Then the system did hit 1x PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD right as I submitted my pw to login, relog and it went away. That day I updated to 1.0.0.3ABB beta build for my X570 Gaming Pro Carbon AMD havnt had an issue for another week - Adrenalin 19.8.2 (havnt updated to latest yet)

0 Likes
Waldoberto
Journeyman III

Hi, I have succeeded by deleting the amdxn64.dll file. I couldn't play videos without the system crashing. The Klite player showed me a message that that file was causing problems. I deleted it and the matter was solved. I hope it works for you!

0 Likes
Silverstar
Adept I

This has started happening to me recently, all drivers are up to date, in fact, it only started happening after I updated the drivers

0 Likes
Starco13
Journeyman III

Super Res On

1440p

32w on idle

FreeSync ON

Undervolt to 1048mV and 1950mhz Freq.

Raise Fan Curve to look like exponential growth … not valley of death.

Works with no crash at all times. Unless game sets some weird resolution other than 1440p, and “here we go again”

0 Likes