cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

scarceloot
Adept III

5700XT BSOD atikmpag.sys

Fully DDU‘d and installed the 19.7.3 update, was working fine until I noticed chrome not loading certain pages / black screening - specifically wunderground.com not loading the 10 day forecast. I disabled hardware acceleration and tried to see if the the error would occur in Microsoft Edge, however the page loaded correctly - which made me then realize it’s a chrome issue. But to my surprise, almost immediately after the webpage loaded on Edge, I got a BSOD for atikmpag.sys which relates to a GPU not responding / perhaps a memory issue - so I am now currently running a windows memory diagnostic. 

1 Solution
scarceloot
Adept III

Solved: I had a bad ram stick, replaced with a new set and everything works the way it’s supposed to, and I can even enable xmp without BSOD

View solution in original post

0 Likes
17 Replies
scarceloot
Adept III

The website loading issue turns out to be a cookie issue - cleared and it works again. Still concerned about the BSOD though.

Edit: If it matters, I had discord up and noticed a few others saying they crashed with this app so I removed it from starting on boot up. I've also applied a slight underclock, in hopes this cures my issues as some others are saying its a boosting issue.

0 Likes

Running a 50th Ann 5700XT--haven't had a GPU-driver related BSOD of any kind since I installed the card a week ago, I'm glad to say.  Running the 19.7.3 Adrenalins, atm.  Win10x64 Pro, v1903, Build 10005.  Running it alongside my new R5 3600X in an Aorus Master x570 motherboard--sweet, so far!  No games crashing to date, glad to say.  Performance-wise it's roughly 30%-50% faster than what it replaced, my RX-590/480 8GB Crossfire/D3d12 Muti-GPU setup, depending on the game or benchmark, of course.  Really nice for a new-architecture release and surprisingly free of problems so far!  Hope you get yours sorted soon..;)

0 Likes

And here come the BSOD - got one when trying to install Logitech GHub.. Also crashed with the same BSOD errors when using windows verifier or just simply browsing the web..
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Caused by ntoskrnl.exe

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Caused by ntoskrnl.exe

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Caused by atikmdag.sys & ntoskrnl.exe

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE Caused by atikmdag.sys

0 Likes

I wonder if it has to do with the motherboard bios? That Aorus has AGESA 1.0.0.3AB (v.F5g) - whereas my MSI board just only has AGESA 1.0.0.3AB (v.7B93v11).. I have a solid setup similar to yours it should be properly; MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon, Samsung 970 Evo Plus (now in M2#2 due to controller issues with the bios), MX500 SSD, EVGA G3 750+ Gold, Win10x64 Pro, Build 18362.239 (are you on the insider program?), QVL G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 ram, Ryzen 5 3600x, X62 Kraken, Radeon 5700XT - I've ran memory tests including one stick, countless SFC scans as well as dism repairs, reinstalled Windows.. IDK, the only thing thats truly different is the motherboard (and now windows build?)

0 Likes

It could definitely be a driver/bios compatibility issue.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Started getting GREEN Screen of death when I installed 19.7.3 for my 5700xt Anniversary edition with this exact same error. Rolled back to 19.7.1, as 19.7.2 also had many crashes with it.

3900x

Crosshair VIII Formula - 0702 Bios, Agesa 1.0.0.3AB

32gb Ram 3733 16-16-16-36

Windows installed to 1TB 970 Evo

1200w PSU.

0 Likes

Fuuuuu you’re on AB and it’s still not working

The only similarity between us then is the 970 Evo Plus which is where my windows is installed. Though I was getting WHEA 17 error in event viewer which I was able to correct by moving the NVMe drive to slot 2 that is SATA capable and not ran by the cpu controller. But now have all these issues.

So it’s either bad ram, bad cpu or just bad bios. As for memory tests they all passed but I’m wondering if I didn’t do enough to see the failure point. I do have an identical build for my wife and she isn’t having ANY of these issues. I’m going to experiment more with the sticks of ram, and reseat all of the power connectors on the PSU (EVGA 750w 80+ gold)

0 Likes

I havent had any blue or green screens before installing 19.7.3 so I doubt its memory or CPU.

19.7.3 also Had other side effects. For one, I started getting much higher score in cenebench with the same CPU overclock, but on the flipside I also started getting random overheat shutdowns from the same tests. Not once before 19.7.3 in R15. All the while my CPU didnt break 78c when the max is 95c.

I will conclude that 19.7.3 has horrendous side-effects and should be recalled. Roll back immediately imo, even if it seems fine.

0 Likes

Interesting, though all of my BSOD prior to the recent ones were all related to the PCIe issues IIRC. Once I sorted that out by moving the drive, I thought 19.7.2 was finally stable. I only updated to 19.7.3 because I saw a bunch of 5700 support and it did seem to run better up scores in cinebench until all of these issues. Even was able to get a beta version of Cam which then correctly cooled the CPU (retail version out has sensor issues and says it’s 50c all the time) and it’s usually in the 60c range

Before I RMA (which my QVL ram is out of stock anyway) I’m going to roll back and see what happens. I have 18 days from today to send back the ram so I have a little bit longer window to figure this out. 

Side note - my BSOD are also green now but I think that’s because I switched to windows insider program

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

It could be worse, we could be getting space invaders along with the BSOD/GSOD :3

Seems an Nvidia driver is doing the same thing with a 2070 Super, tho I do not know this reddit users full setup.

Yikes I wasn’t aware those were having issues too. FWIW when I was on 19.7.2 I had zero crashes/ BSOD... 

what were your BSOD errors? All of the same I have above or just a few?

0 Likes

Just DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Caused by atikmdag.sys every time.

0 Likes
scarceloot
Adept III

I was able to get Windows 10 1903 build 18945.1001 installed (by enrolling into Windows Insider: Fast program) and it seems to be more stable, as I haven't crashed on this version yet. I was also able to install and use Logitech Ghub which was causing me to BSOD everytime it installed. 

Edit: cant play any games with this version of insider - reinstalling windows and not doing fast.. sigh

0 Likes
scarceloot
Adept III

Solved: I had a bad ram stick, replaced with a new set and everything works the way it’s supposed to, and I can even enable xmp without BSOD

0 Likes

What was your process for determining that one of your memory modules was bad?

0 Likes

I built 2 identical systems and threw the one problematic set into the working pc - (one pc worked fairly flawlessly since day 1, whereas the other had issues since day one). It became more obvious when booting (had to do it multiple times) on 1 stick for me to identify one that was causing some intermittent bsod on startup. Im sure the agesa bios update also helped, as well as all other system updates since then like windows. Im also using Adrenalin 19.9.2 and its not crashing either pc

shinkojiro
Miniboss

Mine was solved by not using 19.7.3

19.7.4 runs great, so far.

0 Likes