cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

yodastoe
Adept I

5700xt black screen then shuts down computer

Have a brand new cyberpower build I been playing with on this error for like a month. When my son plays fortnite it will randomly go to black screen on both monitors and then shut the computer down instantly. Fortnite logs report DXD hung before the crash. Sometimes he can play all day without an issue and others will happen multiple times a day. It does not seem to happen in a pattern. I have tried so many things after reading all these posts not sure where to go.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
ASUS TUF X570-plus gaming MB
Asetek 570LXL 240MM watercooler
AData SPECTRIX XPG D80 RGB 8GB (x2) DDR4-3200 memory
240GB WD GREEN SSD 2.5" SATAIII 6.0 GB/s 
1TB WD CAVIAR BLUE HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200RPM 6.0 GB/s

THERMALTAKE 600WATT GOLD 80 PLUS POWER SUPPLY
BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 24.5 inch 240 Hz
Another Monitor 60z TV

The problem seems to get a bit worse when added the 240hz monitor but not entirely sure.

What I have tried:

TDR Delay in register to 0

Setting Custom Fan Curve

Undervolting the card

Increasing Power to card to +50%

Capping Fortnite to 240 Frames

Turning down graphics in Fortnite

Fresh uninstall and reinstall of 5700xt software drivers

Fresh install of fortnite

Updating all drivers on the computer

RAM tested

Drives tested

Monitor temps

Turned FreeSync off

Changed power settings to optimal in windows

Turned off fast startup in windows.

(Probably forgetting a few things)

After undervolting the card and turning the fan curve the temps look really good. Even before undervolting the card with just the fan curve was in the 80C under 100%. Now undervolting it barely reaches 70C.

After undervolting the problem does not happen as often but still happens a couple times a week.

I do not have another computer where I can test graphics card or power supply separately etc.

Please help not sure what to do at this point but have a very unhappy kid who saved up for this. 

21 Replies
yodastoe
Adept I

Forgot to mention was able to reproduce the problem in other games as well just not in fortnite.

All BIOS is updated.

All Drivers are updated.

Seems the card goes to high % usage right before shut off

0 Likes

Hi, I had the exact same problem as you. I had an almost new 1440p 75hz lcd screen, that was running 60hz. I would get a black screen and PC would shut down immediately after. I switched my screen to 75hz, now games are stable. however, I have trouble with viewing twitch, youtube videos. just google radeon 75hz issues. then I tried my old 1080p 60hz - everything works great with this one. When I used this 75hz, I couldnt even see temperatures, frequencies in afterburner or anywhere else.

I would talk to support of the company you bought the card from and open a support ticket with AMD: Online Service Request | AMD   If support can't help I would RMA the hardware. 

0 Likes
clamp
Journeyman III

I'm having the same problem. BIOS and all drivers updated but PC consistently shutting down after a short period of time playing WoW Classic, which lets the GPU run with 10% load and 55°C temperature. Same thing's happening in other games too, but WoW shows that it's definitely not a temperature issue. I first thought it was a problem with my small 500W power supply which I upgraded to 750W, but shutdown is still happening.

My PC:

Intel i7 6700k

Sapphire 5700XT Pulse

Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 Mainboard
2x 8GB DDR4-3000

Everything ran well for the past 2 years until I switched to this new GPU 10 days ago and I seriously consider returning it. It's not just the crashes but also minor things like the lack of support for 3rd party monitoring tools and no way to run 2 monitors with different refresh rates... 

have the exact same problem Fortnite seems to do it the most and to fix it until better drivers come out its to bring down the max clock speed of your GPU.  Right click on your desktop, open you Radeon settings, then the gaming tab in top left corner, Global settings, then Global WattMan. In there you can adjust you GPU Frequency from automatic to manual and you want to bring the max clock speed down to about 1800ish give or take and then apply and you should be all set. After trying everything for the last month this is the only fix i can seem to make it happen and this happens to other games to. Give that a shot and hopes it helps you guys out 

Thanks for the tip on this card! I've been going mad the last 48 hours with a new build trying to figure out what was going on. Ever since I lowered my clock speed as you said, the card has been stable. Hopefully new drivers will fix this soon!

0 Likes

Hi, I have the exact problem. same motherboard and cpu as you do. I am returning the card.

dezi
Adept II

I have the exact same problem Fortnite seems to do it the most and to fix it until better drivers come out its to bring down the max clock speed of your GPU.  Right click on your desktop, open you Radeon settings, then the gaming tab in top left corner, Global settings, then Global WattMan. In there you can adjust you GPU Frequency from automatic to manual and you want to bring the max clock speed down to about 1800ish give or take and then apply and you should be all set. After trying everything for the last month this is the only fix i can seem to make it happen and this happens to other games to. Give that a shot and hopes it helps you guys out 

Thanks Dezi,

So you dont think anything is physically wrong with the video card and running at 1800 gives just as good of performance and is something acceptable to run at. As opposed to returning card or jumping ship?

0 Likes

If a card does not run at defaults yes you might get better, with so called tweaks. I guess you have to decide if you want to put up with a card that can't run at default settings. Only you can decide if you find that acceptable. Just know that many users from Polaris to Vega now Navi have been hoping their cards would eventually run at defaults and they still don't. Also know that options are out there that have a good out of box experience. These issues should not be accepted as normal. I for one would have returned my card if I could of knowing what I know now. To me a card that doesn't run out of the box at default settings and with driver issues in many games is the very definition of defective. 

Thanks.. If I can be sure its the video card I guess I am going to RMA or potentially switch cards... After a month of fiddling almost every night for a couple of hours, I am done.

I have been starting to second doubt its the video card 100%.. Is it possible it is not the video card? It happened again tonight I wasn't at 1800 but I was at 1900 already. I will trim it back to 1800 however this is what happens

This time it was in Minecraft.

Temps looked fine was not at 100% of GPU.

Both screens turn black again but the computer seems to remain running.

I let it run for a while. Keyboard and mouse remain lit up.

Tried to press cap lock and num lock on the keyboard to see if I could get the indicator to light it on keyboard. It does not

Unplugged the USB mouse and USB keyboard and when reinserted keyboard and mouse it is no longer lit up.

PC remains running.

Finally turn it off and back on.

Does this sound like a video card issue?

0 Likes

And it just died again at 1800 setting.

Same symptom.

Very odd it was actually fine the last two days and now all of sudden back to its norm.

Thoughts appreciated.. At my wits end here.

0 Likes

Based on the shear number of complaints on these new cards I would sure think so. I have no idea if drivers will ultimately fix the issues or if it is an issue with the chips or cooling. All I know is my RX 580, 2 years later still doesn't work right either and they had far less issues than Vega and the complaints on Navi so far here are way more than I have seen on any other product. Not trying to discourage just stating what I see as a fact. It could be the next driver sorts things or it may never be fixed. Me I would go with sure thing over what might be, if I had to do it over. 

yodastoe
Adept I

Just an update.

I ended up switching out the video card for a 2060 super and so far its been running smooth and the issues have not occurred. The Card is running out of the box without any modifications in settings, config. Hopefully, it remains this way. Thank you for all the help and ideas. 

Just a quick question have you watched wattman before it crashed. 

I had similar issues with 19.8.2 radeon after trying everything turning off hardware accceleration, for my browser, spotify and bnet. 

For some reason it was causing the gpu to boost over 2400mhz until it crashed, hope it helps.

bryan93
Adept I

I have the same problem as you as soon as I start a game my PC restarts since I installed the rx 5700 xt;(

epitaph23
Journeyman III

Did you ever figure it out? I have a new Vega 56 and it's been complete system crashing since I got it. Honestly I don't know how people support AMD GPU's, you can find SO many issues like this on the web with no actual fix. It's quite sad, I haven't found a fix yet and am highly considering sending this card back and going with Nvidia once again.

0 Likes

I haven't figured out a solution yet. In fact, the work around I've been using got more difficult with Adrenalin 2020. The tuning can only be done in percentages now, and it's really frustrating to try and figure out what my max clock is.

Before, if I tried to do anything above the stock max frequency of the 5700 XT, I get a hard crash. Now I have no idea how high my core frequency is running at and I'm beyond frustrated trying to get it to work.

I love the hardware of this card, but the experience is making me think about switching.

0 Likes

Cancel that, I found the advanced options... I feel silly. Nonetheless, having to manually change my clock speeds instead of letting AMD do it's automagic is very annoying for an end user experience.

0 Likes

I'm way ahead of ya man. I already sent the AMD card back and bought a 2060 Super. Loving it and not a single issue so far. I can't recommend AMD GPU's at the moment.

0 Likes
amdfan420
Journeyman III

Months later and I have having the same issue as you I wish I would have found this thread before I bought the 5700 xt. I tried most things in this thread but it still happens and at most they just extend the time I can spend in game before a crash and my whole PC shuts down. And its crashing at as low as 34 C sometimes which is confusing. I think I am gonna return it but does anybody have an update? 

0 Likes